• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Christie: The war on drugs has failed, treat NJ heroin addiction as an illness

rolodex propaganda

Bluelighter
To combat New Jersey’s growing heroin and opioid crisis, Gov. Chris Christie says the state needs to embrace a dramatically different approach to substance abuse, but cautioned that he will not write a blank check to get it there.

In his time as governor, heroin and opioid abuse have surged into the spotlight, claiming at least 740 lives in New Jersey alone last year, while tens of thousands of others sought treatment, many of their lives broken by addiction. Irrespective of how the state arrived at such an unenviable position, in Christie’s eyes, government has a role in making sure those shackled by addiction get the help they need.

In an interview with NJ Advance Media, Christie said that means changing course, to a system that values treatment over incarceration. The War on Drugs has failed, he says, and it’s time to move on.

“I think what we’ve seen over the last 30 years is it just hasn’t worked,” he said. “And there are some people who make one bad choice to try drugs one time and their particular chemistry leads them to be an addict from the minute they try it. So we need to treat it as a disease. And not having mandatory incarceration for non-violent offenders but having mandatory treatment is something that’s going to yield a much greater result for society in general and for those individuals in particular.“

According to federal data, treatment centers in the Garden State have been operating near or slightly above capacity for several years. While the number of available treatment slots has increased over the last decade, so has demand, one that is increasingly being driven by heroin and prescription opioids.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...ed_to_step_up_fight_against_heroin_in_nj.html

Not sure I would trust whatever "mandatory treatment" this assclown food addict, traffic jam causing crook has in mind, but at least he thinks non violent drug addicts don't deserve incarceration

Not sure I would trust whatever "mandatory treatment" this assclown food addict, traffic jam causing crook has in mind, but at least he thinks non violent drug addicts don't deserve incarceration

Exactly this same guy favors mandatory drug courts. He's no friend to our movement even if he's better than some that came before him. Not to mention he's a fucking cowboys fan.

FUCK drug court.
anything less than a felony and i'd never ever ever ever agree to that
i'd take the jail time

Mandatory treatment is just incarceration with some make-up on.

From a Republican it seems like a step in the right direction. I think mandatory treatment wins out of mandatory jail time any day.