• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol hangover anxiety

butcher22

Bluelighter
I used to be a hardcore alcoholic and benzo addict and I totally fucked up my gaba receptors to the point where if I get drunk now I deal with hellish panic attacks and anxiety for two or three days if I drink a lot. I rarely drink anymore but yesterday I drank a liter of vodka and I just woke up in full panic. I took some phenibut and it helps some but is there anything else I can do? This really fucking sucks and riding it out seems unbearable. Plus I totally disappointed my family by getting drunk again and need to have a collected state of mind to talk to them and apologize tomorrow.

in my opinion, alcohol and benzos are the worst drugs out there, they ruin absolutely everything and are a nightmare to recover from both mentally and physically. i had the same issue as you, i would shake so bad on hangovers i thought i was getting DTs and my anxiety was through the roof. your body is trying to tell you something man; quit drinking. its not for you anymore, especially necking a litre of vodka? there isn't much you can do to circumvent a hangover, just stay hydrated, drink coffee if you like, or smoke some weed.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you mate I used to drink every day and the horrors next day can be a nightmare. Try going for a brisk walk that used to help me. and of course the drinking next day relieves the anxiety but that is counter productive and your back on the slippery slope. The way I stopped drinking was to wait until bedtime and have one drink in bed a strong cider 8.2% every night. then did the same every other night. Now I hardly drink at all only on special occasions. Weed for me with anxiety used to make it worse. I feel for you mate hope you have a good xmas

what's done is done, live and learn. As for right now, try breathing excercises to calm down, put on some chill music that you enjoy and calms you, maybe watch a film or tv series to take your mind off things. A nice cuppa ea, in bed, whilst doing he activities mentioned above might help too...

Wach out for the Phenibut, yes once in a while exceptionnally, but daily phenibut use results in addiction (similar to benzos and booze...) and vital organ problems...

I have the same problem. Years of alcohol abuse drinking morning till night and a few years of being on benzos. I cannot drink like that anymore. I can only have a few and I better have a xanax for the day after. Gaba receptors are fucked.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I took a remeron and just slept for a really long time.
keeping, I agree. they totally ruined me. Started drinking and taking benzos to deal with anxiety but ended up 100 times worse than before I started.

Yet another reason I do not drink... and everybody always wants to drink at get togethers, and I'm just never into it and it makes me look like a party pooper. Just gimmie a good stim, or handfull of bars or some other Gaba drug, or some opiaates. Anything but booze, and people are always like drink drink drink. Ugh. Use to love it, but opiates ruined drinking for me, or pot did not sure.

Yea man, i can't drink anymore. I still try tho sometimes, because i am an idiot. Anxiety goes through the roof the next day. The depression is really bad too. One day i will learn....