• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine super short duration?

dickydom

Greenlighter
so a friend of mine has been taking codiene for pain management and is getting a little annoyed at the duration of the feeling.

it seems no matter how much he takes, from 90mg -220mg. the feeling comes on in around 10-15minutes and only lasts for a maximum of 30minutes. the feeling he gets is great, maybe the same, if not better as when he first started around 1monthplus ago.

why is this happening? tolerence? he can still get a great feeling on.
is there a way to extend the feeling? taking more than 200?

he thinks it used to last a little longer but not exactly sure, but never 3hours.
its like an instant peak .
cant find anything about this anywhere :( so thought hed ask you wonderful people

thanks for reading, hopefuly you can help

Last edited:
Can your friend create an account on Blue Light so he can ask these questions for himself? It seems you're really in touch with how your friend feels. You two must be close.

thanks for your wonderful insight, but it is actually a friend im talking about. im from a very low income area and many people do not have acess to internet so for a favor im asking this for him.

and i not want my room mates to think, the question is for myself.

must be great being from a place where internet is so common, but down here maybe 1 out of 50peoppe can afford internet

helpful post :)

Its just because his tolerance is higher so he needs a stronger opiate then codiene; unless its always been that short for him then he just metabolizes it rapidly. The normal duration of codeine should be a few hours at least.

He also shouldnt be looking to feel "great", he should take the lowest doses to bring pain to a manageable level. If he chases euphoria tolerance rises much mor rapidly.

thanks for your post:) maybe i should recomend he eats before to slow his mataoblizm? i think its the only thing he can afford to pay the prescription for and he doesnt want to go down the spiral of opium

il tell him the euphoria thing, i guess the thought of it as a added bonus. i personally always thought that it was the euphoria that cures pain.but i havent ever had painkillers

Many people find codeine weak to the point of being ineffective. Taking a higher dose or dosing more frequently is all I can think of to help. Maybe combining codeine with an OTC pain med like naproxen or ibuprofen would boost the pain relieving qualities.

I personally love codeine and find it almost identical to hydrocodone in effects and duration, but that's just me.

That, my friend, is the nature of codeine. I had easy access to pure codeine tablets and took them on and off for about a year in varying doses. The duration of effects never went beyond an hour for me, even in the beginning when I had zero opiate tolerance. It's just a short acting drug - it comes on very fast on an empty stomach, peaks almost immediately, and doesn't last long. I don't think I have some unique metabolism - several friends partook with me in the "Deen" as we called it, and I don't remember anyone ever being high for three hours. After much experimenting I found it hit strongest when taken shortly after waking up, on an empty stomach. I tried doses up to 700mg at once - stronger effects, more itching, but not much longer duration.

I'm strictly speaking to the euphoric, mood-lifting effect here - the analgesic duration may be longer, but I wasn't in pain when I was taking it, so I don't know.

I know the amount of codeine metabolized into morphine, which will give you the nice opiate feel, varies rather widely. Depending on the person generally between 5% and 15% is metabolised into morphine, if he is on the lower end of that spectrum, or lower than 5%, it could explain a slightly shorter duration than "normal" i guess...

Yeah codeine doesn't last much but definitely more than 30min. Maybe he built a tolerance or he's just a poor metabolizer. Did he used it everyday for a month?

Try grapefruit juice, drink a nice amount 2h before dosing.

It posses a very short half life of 2.5 hours. So, in essence, in an hour, you've got your peak. Assuming your new to the substance.
Tollerance builds so easily with Codeine.
A meal prior will probably increase the half life slightly but with a bio-availability level of 90%, your not really going to notice a difference with a meal.

4meSM, the grapefruit juice idea is interesting since grapefruit is legendary for how many interactions it has by increasing the strength of so many drugs. The most of any other 'food' related interaction............... Sadly, it has quite the opposite effect with converting morphine within the body. In-fact, its exactly what you shouldn't take prior.

The most popular choice of making codeine more potent is diazepam (Valium). A moderate interaction so be mindful of the dose. 10mg of diazepam for 60mg of Codeine is what a GP would safeguard you at. Obviously, I cant promote any more since harm reduction matters most, although, feel free to use that as a brief guide.

Stay safe.

thanks for your wonderful insight, but it is actually a friend im talking about. im from a very low income area and many people do not have acess to internet so for a favor im asking this for him.

and i not want my room mates to think, the question is for myself.

must be great being from a place where internet is so common, but down here maybe 1 out of 50peoppe can afford internet

helpful post :)
Classic escape. The feel bad for me line won't work here. Next time you start an account read the rules first.

It posses a very short half life of 2.5 hours. So, in essence, in an hour, you've got your peak. Assuming your new to the substance.
Tollerance builds so easily with Codeine.
A meal prior will probably increase the half life slightly but with a bio-availability level of 90%, your not really going to notice a difference with a meal.

4meSM, the grapefruit juice idea is interesting since grapefruit is legendary for how many interactions it has by increasing the strength of so many drugs. The most of any other 'food' related interaction............... Sadly, it has quite the opposite effect with converting morphine within the body. In-fact, its exactly what you shouldn't take prior.

The most popular choice of making codeine more potent is diazepam (Valium). A moderate interaction so be mindful of the dose. 10mg of diazepam for 60mg of Codeine is what a GP would safeguard you at. Obviously, I cant promote any more since harm reduction matters most, although, feel free to use that as a brief guide.

Stay safe.

Actually grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of CYP3A4, which converts codeine to Norcodeine. That means more codeine will be metabolized by the other enzymes like CYP2D6. which converts codeine to morphine. So theoretically your codeine to morphine ratio will be higher.

About 10% of caucasians have issues with metabolizing codeine into morphine... Like myself, codeing has almost no effect. I've taken 700mgs CWE'd and got a slight buzz like one might get from doing 5mg of Oxycodone. You're not alone. Stick to heroin/morphine and you'll likely have better results. That's not to say that taking up a junk habit is anything to condone.

Yeah Codeine is Very Short Lasting For Me But it usually JUST BEINGS the Effect After 30 Mins and 60 For Max Effects And Wears Off 2 Hours and Completely Roughly after 3 Hours Since Last Dosage.

Actually grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of CYP3A4, which converts codeine to Norcodeine. That means more codeine will be metabolized by the other enzymes like CYP2D6. which converts codeine to morphine. So theoretically your codeine to morphine ratio will be higher.

Thanks for the reply, of course it does but it also enters the p450 liver enzyme which is exactly what prevents this effect.
Crazy, but true, it has the opposite effect.
But don't take science for all its words. Try it out.

As for making codeine stronger, there are much better combinations out there since codeine is so weak in its own effect.