• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Speaking with family about addiction

blahman8000

Bluelighter
I have trouble confiding with family (siblings and parents), as at times I've had problems with them. But I'm in a situation where it's been obvious, for a long time, that I'm an alcoholic. I don't get too "crazy" (I hate that word) but I do get emotional, I probably do slur my words and act like an idiot. It eventually became impossible not to fess up, because my parents (not my siblings, at least not yet) confront me about my drinking and my past drug use. I'm wondering if it's out of the norm to be honest about it, and if anyone has had experience with it. Some might manage to hide it until recovery, I'm sure, but I just couldn't. I live with my parents again and it's hard to ignore your son stumbling home late at night after a night out, going out to pick up booze regularly, etc. After my multiple trips to hospital detox, it's impossible to ignore. They get angry at my drinking, as families often will. It just doesn't feel right being forthcoming about it, but maybe that's in my head.

My parents definitely aren't perfect, but while under their roof, it seems better to avoid being an issue and being nice. I've taken every step I was supposed to to recover, and it all backlashed. I tried AA last night and it was awful. And I'm about to try again.

What's to hide? It's obvious they already know. And imho fuck AA, there's a lot better treatment options.

i had to fess up at 14 after 7 years of alcohol and drug abuse and it was the best thing i've ever done they love me and don't bother me about my addiction

yea man if you already been to detox and you live with them, its seem unlikely that its still a secret... but some people only see what they wana see so just tell them, it will be a weight off your shoulder either way... good luck

It was so hard to confide to my family specially my father. I saw him as someone who i will never get along with and someone who will judge me and tell me that i will be a failure for life, but when the time came where i was at my worst during addiction, he was the first person to help and the person who has helped me until I recovered. Pill_billy is right, it will be a weight off your shoulders. IME, family is family and they will love you and will learn to accept what your flaws are.