• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Just didn't seem right to me..

And yes I did say something over and over as did almost everyone there they would shake their heads in disgust and shit then would say well if you don't want it don't take it and would grab the log book almost immediately and say they were going to write it down as refusing all meds which is almost threatening you in multiple ways.as in you wouldn't be offered other comfort meds or other meds you would need. It also wasn't just one nurse doing this it was all of them.

Last edited:
Shit like this is why I avoid rehab and detox facilities like the plague. Goddam, nurses employed here should have some idea how to effectively utilize the services they provide. Maybe they're just old school and assume buprenorphine acts in the exact same way as methadone.

I just want to say that reading this made me incredibly pissed off and im sorry you had to go through this. These detox centers generally don't have a fucking clue what they are doing and it makes me absolutely livid when they know exactly what they are doing in cases like this where they are fucking people over. Please report them to the bbb if you have not already. Fucking scoundrels.

And I thought my "5 day diazepam detox" experience was bad. Based on that little infoyou can guess what happened. Clearly the withdrawal is just beginning at the 3-5 day point. I would say they were idiots but im sure they knew damn well what they were doing. Upon discharge: "ahh... doctor I feel like my heart is beating out of my chest and im very shaky. How many days will I taper off the librium after discharge?" Dr moron: " None, it will self-taper but you will feel like this for quite some time...any other questions?".

Im not violent but reading your story and remembering mine makes me want to...

What a dirty fucking business.

Detox centers are awful from personal experience. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Personally I was denied any sleeping medication except anti-histamines when I had a 20mg/day zolpidem addiction.

every psychiatrist, doc, nurrse, s uman.... but IME rehabs allthough very good here did not work for me or many others.... outpatient treatment is really the way to go.... sorry to be pesssimistic, but most of us are fucked for life.... rehab may gain u some time if ur lucky, but in the long run, it's pretty much allready "destined" to be.... :(

TLDR: outpatient detox (as opposed to maintenance although I support maintenance as well) can be a great option if available.

When you say "outpatient", do you mean maintenance? Im a huge supporter of maintenance and thst was ultimately the route I chose for my opiate addiction...and I guess in a way my benzo addiction, if I want to call it such (I don't enjoy benzos recreational lly but I am dependent and need my stable dosing to keep my panic disorder in check)...

Anyway, I wanted to highlight the existence of "outpatient detox" organizations such as the one that was successful in getting me off of opiods nearly pain-free (and I actually stayed off opiods for a year after). This organization instructed me to simply stop taking my suboxone, have my wife babysit me, pick some Gatorade and ensure on my way and sent me home with a prescription to treat each individual symptom of the detox (this was 8 mg sub after 5 years of everything from heroin to a couple years at 120 mg methadone just to put usage level in perspective). I mean literally a med for every individual symptom, so it totalled around 11 or 12 scripts including phenobarbitol, baclofen, promethazine, ropinerol (for rls), lomatil, choice of ambien or trazodone for sleep and others I can't remember now. Every med worked for its intended purpose and I actually slept through nearly the whole thing.

They did require a phone call to their 24 hour on call counselor to check in and see how things are going and if any refills were needed. He gave advice on other methods for comfort and when to start reducing med intake. They treated me with complete respect - like an adult and were very professional. Also cost a fraction of these ridiculous detox centers. I mean it was almost too easy. The only real downside was being absolutely zombified by all that medication but better than feeling the symptoms by far. I remember actually being in a pretty good mood lol.

As a side benefit I learned from experience what comfort med combinations work best and now keep a "go bag" filled with these gems for any potential emergency. Ive got enough medication to detox a couple times and have different options for each symptom.

Anyway, sorry to go on there, but if anyone is thinking about detoxing - check for outpatient options like this in your area. I think ones that work quite like this, so individualized and respectful are probably rare, but worth taking a look.

**although loperamide is in my current "go bag", I wouldn't use it at the ridiculously high levels people use is as stand alone treatment at. That's pretty uncharted territory scientifically. I do go above the fda approved dose, but these triple digits doses people are fucking with is a bit crazy, imo.

Yeah from personal experience. 1 out of 5 places actually seemed very on point ( the one i was actually in twice.. for yeah 6 detox's 5 places) . I mean if you wanna do it, you can do it anywhere but the fact alot of places are how they are can discourage people big time. The fact that no matter how bad it got i was forced to sit in meetings and groups also drove me insane. I already have a really bad G A D, S A D, Panic disorder, so obviously during a benzo detox these would increase big time. I woke up was somewhat ok, but it was definitely comming on. Then around 11am it was full blown UGLY NASTY wd's. So i laid in my room trying to read a book attempting to keep my mind off it. Their was a group thing going on and a CO came to my room and basically talked and talked and refused to leave me alone until i got up and went KNOWING i had a serious S A D, G A D and being clearly very sick from wd's. Needless to say i sat there panicing, buggin, sick as fuck. I would notice how being in a big group or even the smaller groups for that matter would make the wd's alot worse and making hallucinations mostly auditory alot worse.. I threw up all over myself while being forced to sit there and of course people started laughing or the usual oh what the fuck reaction and that draw of attention at me made it 1000 times worse. I ended up throwing up so i was allowed to go back to my room get in the shower and not go to meetings or groups for the rest of the day but still had to go to the counts ( they count and make sure people are there and didn't leave).

By the night time i was straight up gone, mentally and physically, i noticed i was hallucinating bad ( auditorily and visually) sounds were really sharp and weird like the sound of the metal chairs tapping eachother made me physically cringe and jump. i was a mess. So that night comes i couldn't sleep which i expected anyway so, The next morning comes and Again i was forced to sit in on a meeting even though i pretty much BEGGED not to and explained why and how it was making it worse. So im walked in there 5 mins after the meeting starts so that feeling of everyone staring at me as i walked in was really bad, then i was seated in the front row infront of the speaker ( drove me insane) then i noticed that feeling of it getting stronger and stronger and stronger, and i heard a chair tap another one and literely jumped and everyone in the meeting started laughing so i started to feel really bugged out EVEN WORSE, then that ZZZZZZZZZ from head to toe feeling like the panic attack feeling but stronger, then BOOM straight up grand mal seizure. Now while i feel like that seizure may of happened anyway, i cant help but think being forced into that situation where it was just straight overload mentally brought that on. Scary. Just makes me sick that these things go on.

For alot of people especially people with certain mental disorders i think if done in the right way around the right kind oof people watching out for them Outpatient like you're speaking of could me far more effective but i did notice for Heroin detox for me, i think the fact i was in a spot where i had no option but to go threw it and being far from home actually helped me stay, then at that good place i was at the workers, the people i was in the house with all that helped alot. ( there were only 10 people in the entire place and they had room for 11 all together every other place i was in was mobbed).

Be safe and stay strong,
-B