• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. The Endorphin Factory

Maya and I be crushing it rite:)

Eight hours of hard core indoor water park playing in the last two days.. I flappen worked. Out lasted the kidos though and got to show off my hard earned body as its looking pretty decent=D

Maya and NSA own this thread!

I've been doing a real simple whole body routine 3-4 days a week - squats, bench press and some kind of row or pull down for my back. Then eliptical for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the time.

Starting tomorrow I'll be moving towards a 2 day split. Squats, bench press and overhead press followed by cardio Monday and Thursday. On Tuesday and Friday it will be deadlifts, barbell row and some kind of lat pulldowns until I I'm strong enough to do pull ups followed by cardio. Man I'm all about the compound movements right now.

Thanks AC, I almost didnt go yesterday lol but I told myself "you know you will feel guilty more if you don't go right?" So I went yesterday and kicked ass!

I am taking a break today and going first thing in the morning tomorrow before I go to work. This will make me feel pumped up and ready to start the day!

Great workout today.. lifted really strong and am going up on everything next lift. The run was a little rough.. guess I worked my legs pretty hard at the water park.

Oh and I just want to extend my sincere and heartfelt gratitude for who ever invented womens yoga pants.

I think that may be the plan for me as well.. probably going to go in and hit the steam room and spa.

You all are too hard-core for me! I just started at the gym late December. Been working on my stamina--I hit six months clean two days ago, and have been continuing to battle PAWS. I walk, then do what I can on the cable machines. I've noticed increased energy and strength, which keeps me motivated. I've finally gotten to the point where I enjoy going to the gym (vs cursing and kicking the whole way there). Can't wait till I can do a full program. I'll check back then! Thanks for the inspiration!!! :)

After 6 months you still continue having PAWS?! I thought that would go away after a couple of months. Oh boy! When will this end!!?
I´m really happy for you guys doing exercises and killing your calories. I have all the will power required to stop all opiates, including lastly methadone, but it stops there..:(

You can do it erikmen, there's no way I could have maintained the kind, positive attitude you have while getting off methadone. Kick that beasts ass!

I have to really watch myself these days when working out as I get a exercise high when lifting and don't stop until I break down, then I mope around in pain for a couple days and do it all over again...
I was down to 140 with clothes and shoes in October, now I'm 190 and more fit than I ever have been. Wish I was as motivated to getting back to work and life...

Nice work DW... JUst make sure to throw in those rest days for the lifting. Just a no impact aerobic workout like riding a bike will kick that endorphin rush in as well after a few minutes.

I think that may be the plan for me as well.. probably going to go in and hit the steam room and spa.

This was just what the DR ordered.. I went and whirlpool it and steam roomed it and stretched. I feel like a new man.

After 6 months you still continue having PAWS?! I thought that would go away after a couple of months. Oh boy! When will this end!!?

exercise can speed up the healing process a great deal and it makes the time spent in paws much more bearable. I know Id like to smack the person that made the cure for fatigue exercise.

Exercise and Brain Neurotransmission
Neurobiology of Exercise

Methadone can take awhile.. it will get better and it will get better faster if you start doing regular aerobic exercise. ;)

I managed to go to the gym around lunch time today. I think instead of going to the gym after work I should just go around lunch time and workout so that I don't go home too late. I am planning to go again tomorrow afternoon and workout for an hour. I will do mostly cardio tomorrow as I have done 20 min cardio today and some other exercises. Then Friday will be my speed cardio day.

I am sharing my gym pass with my other coworker and we have agreed upon her paying me half of the payment I gave to the company management building. She will use the pass Monday and Fri while I will use the pass tue wed thurs and fri afternoon.

You can do it erikmen, there's no way I could have maintained the kind, positive attitude you have while getting off methadone. Kick that beasts ass!

I have to really watch myself these days when working out as I get a exercise high when lifting and don't stop until I break down, then I mope around in pain for a couple days and do it all over again...
I was down to 140 with clothes and shoes in October, now I'm 190 and more fit than I ever have been. Wish I was as motivated to getting back to work and life...

Yes David, you are right..I´m just postponing it everyday! Thank you though.

Took the weekend off. Then as we are not used to snow and ice around here, my gym was closed Monday and Tuesday. Finally made it back today; squats and bench presses followed by 25 minutes of cardio. Wanted to do a bigger worki out but just didn't feel up to it.

In six hours I will wake up and hit the gym. Plan to do dead lifts, barbell rows, lat pull downs, curls and cardio.

^nice!:Glad to see more darksiders workout. Let's do it!

^Did it!
I only got 2-3 hours of sleep but I went in to the gym anyways. I knew I'd feel better with some exercise even though I didn't sleep well.

^ :)

I must have put some strain on the middle right side of my back at the water park.. then lifted back and shoulders the next day.. it was certainly pissy at me yesterday. . So im just going to hit the world pool and sauna today.. yep recovery day.

Last edited:
i didnt have enough time on the gym yesterday so I only exercised for half an hour, so I am going to blast it off again today during lunch time at work. Yep Maya is working today and possibly Sunday.

Yesterday: one hour on treadmill.

Today: squats, bench press, over head press, pec deck, side lateral raise and 30 minutes on elliptical.

Did not want to do it, but now I'm glad I did!

The first time I got clean off of Heroin, I went to rehab for 30 days and took suboxone the entire time in Rehab,. When I got home, I still felt kinda shitty with RLS and all, and started a very harcore workout regimen, as well as a very well balanced-high protein diet, and within 2 weeks, I slept like a baby, substance free.

Currently, I have found myself in a hell that does not seem to end with flipping back and forth between H and suboxone, and the withdrawals seem to be unbearable.

starting on day 3 of the Withdrawals, I t will start taking working out along with many hot baths. This I addition to a good diet, should shorten and WD's by at least a week, and I think is the best thing you could do in combating your depleted physical state.

Hey d-nihl.. please consider waiting until the acutes have ended to start anything aerobic or anaerobic. Many of the symptoms in acutes are adrenal related.. so if we hit it hard with the exercise to soon it has a very good chance of making us feel better for a couple hours and then quite a bit worse. If it were me and i wanted to get something going early I would consider nice long leisurely walks.

With nice long non strenuous exercise many people believe this promotes the creation of essential neurotransmitters without causing a release of epinephrine which would make many things worse.

Last edited: