• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

What are you doing to NOT BUY ANY USELESS SHIT?

felix

Bluelight Crew
The wife and I now only have to worry about children's presents (thank god), and this year we've just ferreted round the house looking for cherished, quality, and unnecessary items that we're gonna pass on to them.

My job is to look after my 10 year old nephew, and so far I've got him: a cool multi-purpose tape measure/torch/calculator/notepad gadget; an unused monocular; and an expensive and nearly new Paul Smith beanie that he may or may not appreciate right now.

Fuck buying any more useless consumerist garbage. Let's look around and simultaneously declutter/pass things on. This fabricated & cynical silly season is only designed to make rich people richer and take the piss out of us normals.

Please share. :D

I'm going to a tree farm dressed all in camo and cut one down. Beats buying one....:\

But on the real my sons birthday is December 15th the big five, so I have my hands full with that and Christmas... A lot of people would just put the two days together but to me that defeats the purpose of having a birthday and a Christmas.

My wallet isn't fat with cash ever since 10-5-2014 when my mon died in a car crash so I took a leave from work. But I'm making the best of the holidays for my lil guy.

This is the first Christmas that will truly crush me without my mom, she was the one handing me down lovely jewelry that was 'in the family'. So she didn't stress about spending money on gifts.

Last edited:
^ our sons share a birth date:)

I'm only buying presents for my kid. I have only asked for a few things i would buy anyway for myself. I'm still trying to get rid of all my material junk and do not want more. I would not mind getting a new computer though.

^ Slightly :(.

@NSA that's awesome about your son sharing the same birthdate, how old will he be?

NOT buying.

NOT... buying.

Can we please remind ourselves of the title and spirit of this thread?

If anyone wants to create a thread about "what you're buying people for christmas", you all know what to do. :D

^Would you dress in camo with me and cut a Christmas tree down (At a tree farm)?. It's not like we'd buy it, totally free and a bit illegal. But I'm a fast runner;) and I know a guy who has a hillbilly get away truck.=D

I mean who the fuck buys a Christmas tree why?

^Would you dress in camo with me and cut a Christmas tree down (At a tree farm)?. It's not like we'd buy it, totally free and a bit illegal. But I'm a fast runner;) and I know a guy who has a hillbilly get away truck.=D

I mean who the fuck buys a Christmas tree why?

Haha, they wouldn't miss one, would they? :D

I'd feel guilty killing a live organism for short-term decoration, though. :\ Even if the project would be kinda fun. I have joked about doing that before.

Plastic christmas trees are one of the few shitty consumerist pieces of seasonal garbage that make a kind of sense, in an environmentally sustainable way. If you keep it forever and you've bought it anyway. That probably doesn't add up, but I know what I mean. Thanks. :)

Yea I get it I'm not into killing plants they decorate the great outdoors. I even told my S/O to never to buy me roses for valentines day because they just die what a waste!

Yea ill admit I have a fake Christmas tree well kept, that I take down every year. And yes well kept they are a money saver.

@NSA damn time fly's, enjoy every minute of it.

Last edited:
Yeah... here in Scotland the countryside is covered in massive forestry plantations that only exist to service the needs of christmas and the wider timber industry; but still, it's a shocking waste of land and resources nonetheless. :\

Glad you know what I was getting at re. plastic reusable trees. :)

Yeah... here in Scotland the countryside is covered in massive forestry plantations that only exist to service the needs of christmas and the wider timber industry; but still, it's a shocking waste of land and resources nonetheless. :\

I'll help my grandparents set up their plastic tree for like the 20th straight year :) and I told my girlfriend if she comes home with one more piece of seasonal decoration crap I'm setting it all on fire :X

Doing my part!

Yea I got your point.

Lol I neatly folded and saved tissue paper for gift bags.

SO far so good... 2 Christmas presents down, and I didn't buy 'em. I adopted them! :)

Being broke as fuck helps =D but we usually go for either self-made presents or something with a very deep personal meaning, not a high price-tag. Those kind of presents mean much more than a $500 useless gadget

Started calling it Consumermas instead of Christmas a few years back--that helps as a reminder. Staying out of stores is easy--they depress me anyway. E-bay remains a temptation because it is a 24-hour second-hand store and I am a sucker for used deals so I'll try to stay away while the marketing bombardment and the subliminal Consumermas muzak is in full attack mode.