• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Snorting bad for the lungs?

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member
Hi all, I just want to know if the powder material from any given drug you might snort ends up in the lungs. I sometimes have pain in my lungs (either that or heartburn lol) after snorting. I just want to know if I'm damaging my lungs by inhaling this stuff. It makes me a little nervous!

If you're using your lungs for suction, powder will most definitely get in. There has been concern over silicosis from silica used as a binder for some pills. You are damaging your lungs.

That said, there are ways to snort without using your lungs. I can't find the link at the moment, but there was a thread a while back in OD about using a bendy straw to blow powder up your nose. And (shameless plug), there's my method, where you use your throat to generate suction while keeping your lungs safely sealed.

It all depends on your technique. Some people snort with all of their might...causing them to literally inhale the particles which of course, goes into the lungs. The aim to snorting, is to coat the mucus membranes of your nasal cavity, where it will get absorbed through the blood vessels. Aiming the straw to the side a bit instead of straight up will help. Although I haven't snorted much for the past 6 years, I did for a few years in college, but once I started IVing 6 years ago, I only snorted a handful of times when I had no other option.

Ok, and the drug doesn't work in the lungs am I correct?

Some of you dudes just amaze me, where else can I read about someone who is worried about damaging their body while snorting a (most-likely) illegal substance,
who is receiving advice from someone who doesn't find anything unsafe about IV'ing another likely illegal substance?

Thing about doing drugs is you'll hafta immerse yourself, to get the true effect & that means you're gonna get it on you

Lol. I'm not a dude I'm a girl. And no the substance in question isn't illegal lol but you hit the nail on the head about the irony

Some of you dudes just amaze me, where else can I read about someone who is worried about damaging their body while snorting a (most-likely) illegal substance,
who is receiving advice from someone who doesn't find anything unsafe about IV'ing another likely illegal substance?

Thing about doing drugs is you'll hafta immerse yourself, to get the true effect & that means you're gonna get it on you

What? I would swear telling by your ridiculous comment that it would be your first post, but to consider you have 254 posts, and you are judgmental about someone mentioning intravenous drug use, it really just shows your incredible ignorance. Did I ever say IVing substances was completely safe?

And your judgmental critique of someone looking for harm reduction proves my point. You are either really high, have some sort of a complex, or just plain ignorant. Most likely all three. Take your presumptuous self elsewhere.

Lol. I'm not a dude I'm a girl. And no the substance in question isn't illegal lol but you hit the nail on the head about the irony

It's not irony...it's taking the smart approach and engaging in harm-reduction discussions. You don't have to pacify the moron who criticizes those who want to seek advice from those more experienced. Let them sit in the dark and remain clueless by themselves.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I went on a cocaine bender this weekend and now my chest really effing hurts. I know it's not my heart because I have beta blockers just in case of that issue. I think it's likely to be heartburn cuz I usually eat poorly when doing coke. I didn't do an insane amount so I think it could be lung pain, but whether it's from the coke itself or the cigarettes I smoke copiously during binges is anybody's guess. Just want to know my move here...do I quit the coke for a while? Or reduce my smoking? How do you get rid of lung pain? Will the lungs heal themselves if I just leave it alone? I know I'm not gonna die or anything but it's pretty uncomfortable. Just wondering if I can get rid of it faster.

You should see a doctor and abstain from drugs, if it doesn't improve in 24 hours then it could be anything from excessive smoking to a heart attack to stress.

If you're using your lungs for suction, powder will most definitely get in. There has been concern over silicosis from silica used as a binder for some pills. You are damaging your lungs.

That said, there are ways to snort without using your lungs. I can't find the link at the moment, but there was a thread a while back in OD about using a bendy straw to blow powder up your nose. And (shameless plug), there's my method, where you use your throat to generate suction while keeping your lungs safely sealed.

I would really apprecitate it if you can locate that post you referenced, looking at best ways to handle dillys without IV...

How much of snorted material actually makes it to the lungs? I'm not trying to rationalize snorting drugs but it seems like most of the powder ends up in the sinus cavity (thus the post nasal drip). If powder was going into the lungs, it seems like one would be coughing uncontrollably after snorting a line.

i think you have to take a really good full breath in to take a significant amount of powder into the lungs and even then the cilia and shit would take care of it. tbh i think it's negligible. It's sorta like asking if smoking is bad for the stomach. cuz there must be some amount that gets into the stomach right? but is it significant?

Pleuricy is common in patients who snort, and it can be painful. I just got over walking pneumonia but back in Nov., I had a flare up of pleuricy, and I snort.

Last edited: