MAPS My Journey Through PTSD: Healing with MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy

«§Harry§»

Greenlighter
dcmatthewsheadshot%20resized.jpg

Elizabeth Matthews said:
My Journey Through PTSD: Healing with MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy

Written by Elizabeth Matthews, M.A., L.P.C.

MAPS Bulletin Winter 2014 Vol. 24, No. 3 - Annual Report

I came to MAPS humbled by the demands of life and finished the program humbled by its mysteries.

I am the youngest of 8 kids, raised Catholic and schooled by nuns. As you can imagine, we didn’t have much money to go around. What’s harder to imagine is that the 10 of us shared one bathroom, one phone and one television set. Our car had no garage, our washing machine, no dryer. In the winter, my mom hung our clothes up in the basement.

Our neighborhood was violent. Houses on the block were torched, the sounds of yelling and breaking glass cut through the night. Some of my friend’s parents wouldn’t let them visit. Twice, I was made to get out of a car and walk two blocks home, alone, because somebody’s mom was scared to drive on my street. I ran home in the dark, backwards. Poverty sucks, violence sucks more. My siblings and I were close, like soldiers in a war. Humor made it bearable.

I thought my PTSD [posttraumatic stress disorder] symptoms stemmed from the violent threats I experienced as a kid. Now I know sexual abuse was the main culprit. That’s the thing about sexual abuse; you try to hide it, even from yourself. Once the abuse began, it built its own speed and traction. I could not voice my objections to unwanted touch. The guilt and shame remained shadowed for decades. When I found my voice and told my story the shame resurfaced on several fronts. The healing was brutal. One step forward, two steps back. The psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy changed that dynamic. The MDMA allowed me to communicate the truth of my experience while remaining connected to my therapist. Before MDMA, I couldn’t tell my story without being rocked for days by the shame that surfaced in the telling.

My life began to improve when I left my home town after graduating from college; I made a good life for myself. I worked in commercial real estate for a while and even had my own leasing and property management business for several years. I was making money and it was fun, but it wasn’t enough.

I wanted to be a therapist and so at the age of 35 I enrolled in a Jungian inspired program at Pacifica Graduate Institute in Carpenteria, California. It was a golden time for me. I thrived on learning about the evolution of soul and the power of ritual. My graduate work gave shape to my musings. It grounded the thoughts and feelings that had been swirling around me without an anchor or a compass.

Following graduate school I met the man who is now my husband. I love him and our life which includes two cats, one dog, and a very old house. We take trips, share chores and delight in each other’s company. I have a well-established private practice. Being a therapist fulfills the calling I felt since high school. Sometimes when I am on the couch or on the porch I will raise my head and my life will stop for a moment in time, like a snapshot; and in that moment I realize that I have exactly what I want. I am living the life I was meant to live.

But something was separating me from the bounty of my life; worthiness. The shame of my youth barred me from appreciating the abundance of my current life. I didn’t know how to love myself but I had enough self-esteem to keep trying.

I heard about MAPS and the use of MDMA for the treatment of PTSD while having coffee with some therapist friends. I knew and trusted Marcela, the woman associated with the study. I phoned, texted, and emailed her to ask to be put on the list and then I phoned again months later just to be sure that she knew I was serious. I wanted in. At the age of 55, I had been in therapy on and off for twenty years, on antidepressants for 15. When anxiety felt unmanageable I took xanax.

Medication was not my first choice to manage my symptoms of PTSD. I consulted with practitioners in Acupuncture, Reiki, Chiropractic, Cranial Sacral, EMDR, Brainspotting and more. I went on retreats, took pilates and yoga classes, learned to knit, quilt, make baskets, throw pottery, create vision boards, attended women’s groups and learned to meditate from a Swami. I placed encouraging Post-it notes on my bathroom mirror, “I love and accept myself fully in this moment.” I recycled, re-purposed and re-used. I volunteered time, donated money, and typically said please and thank you at the appropriate times. I had worked diligently to attain mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being and it still eluded me. I needed help; I couldn’t do this by myself. The traditional methods were helping but not healing.

I decided to prepare for this journey with MAPS and prayed that I would be accepted. I already had a yoga practice and was adept with deep breathing. I decided to learn to meditate. It was tough at first but I persevered. My daily alone time began as a discipline and has become a respite.

Eighteen months following my request to be in the program, I received a message from the woman who coordinated the MAPS study and the physical, mental, and cognitive testing began. I was accepted into the program and my anxiety spiked. These people wanted me to give up antidepressants. I really did not want to relinquish my medication but it was a requirement for the study so I called my acupuncturists and asked for help in stabilizing my mood and anxiety.

In January I met with my MAPS therapists. I walked into a room with two people who looked very young to me. I remember wondering if their combined ages would equal mine. I questioned if they had the life experience to support my process. They proved to be up to the task. After several weeks of 90 minute therapy sessions my first MDMA-assisted therapeutic journey was scheduled for a Friday.

I entered the room and it felt like a cathedral. The room was filled with natural light; there were fresh flowers and music. My therapists were all smiles. Will, the program’s psychiatrist, looked at me with the eyes of an inner sanctum. Marcela hugged me and told me she was “so excited for me,” she “knew I would do great.” It seemed strange that they were gathering just for me. Didn’t they have better things to do? They checked my urine and my attitude and determined I was good to go. I sat on the quilt covered couch to wait while Will placed the MDMA in a lovely ceramic bowl with golden symbols painted on the side. He asked if I had an intention for my journey. I told him “I want to learn to love myself.” Then I lay on the couch, put on the eye shades and surrendered.

Early into my first session I saw myself standing tall nearing a rock ledge that shadowed a cave. Then I saw the young me, scurrying into the shadow with the eyes and movement of Gollum. I couldn’t stand the light, couldn’t stand being seen, I was overcome by shame. The tall me stretched a Gumby like arm into the cave and extended the other arm towards the sun. “You can go as deep and dark as you want,” the tall me said to my little self, “I’m not going anywhere.” There I stood, patient, loving, stable; a force without an agenda or a judgment, a force that wouldn’t abandon me.

This theme, the interplay between my traumatized self, my resourced self, and a mystical presence repeated itself each time I took MDMA. Multiple times during my first and second sessions I would remove my eye shades to look at a large image of Our Lady of Guadalupe complete with flashing lights that I had propped against the wall. Her presence was crucial to my stability during the majority of the four months I was in treatment.

As a little girl I would kneel at the family alter and ask Jesus and Mary why they didn’t love me. I knew I had a good heart, why were my family and I being punished? Why was life so difficult for us? During repeated trips to Mexico as an adult, the Mexican people re-awakened my need for the divine feminine. By the time my MAPS program began I had come to rely on Our Lady of Guadalupe for spiritual direction and inspiration. The mystical connection I experienced on MDMA-assisted therapy was an answer to the prayers initiated 50 years ago at the family alter.

In each of my three sessions I experienced the embodiment of a great cat. In my second session I was pacing in a cage; back-and-forth maniacally looking at the people looking at me, back-and-forth hoping to ease the pressure in my chest. I was thirsty but I wasn’t going to take my eyes off the people standing outside the cage, staring at my helplessness. Then the cage wall exploded open and I was running in tall grasses, I could feel the sun on my neck and the soft ground under my feet. As I burst through the cage wall I increased in size and strength and I acquired a mane. “Run,” the caged lion said, “Run for me.” I knew my freedom made her captivity more bearable. So I ran for both of us, grateful for her encouragement and my freedom.

Session number three was on April 20, 2014; which coincided with Easter Sunday, Hitler’s birthday and 4/20, the national day for celebrating cannabis. Christ, Hitler, cannabis? I was amused and intimidated by the strange gathering of events. I feared that the psychedelics would overpower me this time. They did not. This session began with a birthing session and ended with a calling forth of the energies that had harmed me. This session roared forth my voice with a resonating NO. I was not overwhelmed, I was empowered and the boundary born of that NO remains in my body and mind. I found my voice and it is loud.

In session number three I met two holy people, Frank and Marie, who adopted me as their own. They showed me around the farm and told me about seasons and storms. They assured me that, as a family we would ride the wave of feast and famine together. They brought me to an egg shaped cave with a crack in the ceiling that let in the light. There were jewels and other objects around the shadowy edge of the cave. In the center a fiery cauldron glowed; its edges shaped like golden crystals. We spent a lot of time there, enjoying stillness. This place of abundance and shadows offered respite and protection.

Since finishing the MAPS program in May of 2014, life is not necessarily easier but it is more meaningful. The kindness of my therapists was awkward for me at first. They took my temperature and blood pressure regularly, and made sure I remained hydrated. They empathized with my despair, celebrated my joy, and stood witness to my process. Most of all, they honored my need to navigate the forest of recovery on my own terms; relying on my instincts and way of moving through the world. The quality of our relationship was as important as the MDMA. Ultimately, I did not need to take this solitary trek alone as my therapists remained staunch supporters through the entire process.

The gift of such a journey should not be taken lightly. This is club with a very steep entry fee. During the 4 or 5 months of the program I was flooded with memories and fears. My husband was often the recipient of my anger and mistrust. One night I woke him up, I couldn’t settle. He asked what I wanted; we walked the dog, went to breakfast at a late night diner and just drove, listening to late night radio until I felt ready for sleep. His steadfast presence in the face of my rage mocked the old voice that doubted my value. This is a love that humbles.

If you are considering entering into psychedelic-assisted therapy give yourself time to prepare. The medicine is only part of the process. An inventory of your personal history, strengths, and challenges will deepen your experience. Consider the needs of your mind, body, and soul. Establish rituals to help you sleep. Consider guided meditation as a way to learn to follow your inner voice. Do artwork before, during, and after. Bring items of value to the therapy sessions, bring it all, and let your therapist get to know you. Keep a journal the whole time, give voice to your heart; you’ll be glad you did. Most of all remember that this talented team is rallying around you because of your innate value.

I appreciate the tremendous amount of resources summoned by MAPS and donors for the treatment of mental illness. My psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy was a bridge to a new way of perceiving my world and myself. I feel connected to my heart in a way I couldn’t have imagined prior to my treatment. I utilize my ability to tap into sensations I experienced on MDMA to settle my nerves, seek guidance, and communicate gratitude for the abundance of my life.

As a licensed psychotherapist and an individual who has struggled with clinical depression and PTSD I support and encourage the study of psychedelics for the treatment of mental health. Kahlil Gibran is credited with saying, “Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain.” Hopefully, in this millennium, veterans and survivors of abuse and trauma will have the option to choose psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy to support their process of healing and personal discovery.

Elizabeth Matthews is a licensed professional counselor with offices in Boulder and Louisville, Colorado. She enjoys yoga, reading, hot springs, and living in Colorado with her husband, dog, and two cats.

http://maps.org/bulletin-items/383-bulletin-winter-2014/5426-my-journey-through-ptsd

I'm so excited to see all the results coming from this research. It's earth-shattering in the best of ways. :)

I resonate with how facing a trauma or fear makes it resurface in unpredictable ways.

I wonder how her revelations have affected her private practice since.

Great read.

i've struggled with chronic treatment-resistant PTSD for most of my life, just didn't know it until 10 yrs ago when lsd showed me (not gently) how i'd been dissociating and living from my ego for most of my life. during a somatic subtle-body therapy session yesterday, i was informed that my father psycho-sexually abused me from ages 8-21. I'm having a very hard time integrating this as I have almost no childhood memories and also because my father was largely absent from my life during those years. I read up a little on sexual abuse and i do fit a scary amount of symptoms, behaviors, history.

I've been actively seeking mdma-assisted psychotherapy to deal with PTSD for some time with lots of leads to nowhere so far. I find it very odd (and scary) that one can find DMT almost anywhere (around here anyway) but mdma seems so elusive. I don't get it.

Im not afraid of anything I might find in my shadow, I've been to hell and back more than a few times in my life - rage doesn't scare me. But I am struggling with the "double-bind" of sexual abuse survivors in that it sort of always seems to turn in on itself - either depression, incapacitation (hiding), self-hatred, etc. I can't seem to get past my very clever defenses... they just loop back around.

I am committed to healing this trauma, for myself, my daughter (single mum, 5 yr old star of a girl) and for our common energy. But how? lots of therapists, docs, meds, etc none seem to help much. Want to "hack" into this so I can feel it, integrate it and move on, continuing to heal. l'll do just about anything for this healing as my condition is affecting my daughter and has already almost destroyed my life (again).

Psilocybin is an option, but I'm unsure of the best way to use it for this purpose. haven't done anything but stupid anti-depressants etc in 10yrs (except medical mj lately). I studied up on the maps protocol but cant seem to find the "guide / therapist / sitter" and I feel it's important to have that person so I make the most of the experience and the medicine. anybody have experience "certifying yourself" to do this type of healing? ayahuasca maybe better? i'm at a loss and frankly, if this goes on much longer, i feel that my daughter may very well be better off without me. I am not showing her how to live life, i'm showing her how to avoid it. and that's just plain wrong - she's crystal, so shiny, deserves so much better than locked up in foreclosed house with frozen mum.

anonymousmama

I have not had the opportunity to consume MDMA in a while. From my past experiences I can say MDMA, DMT, LSD, and marijuana are each very different. Each has different effects and these aren't interchangable.

i've struggled with chronic treatment-resistant PTSD for most of my life, just didn't know it until 10 yrs ago when lsd showed me (not gently) how i'd been dissociating and living from my ego for most of my life. during a somatic subtle-body therapy session yesterday, i was informed that my father psycho-sexually abused me from ages 8-21. I'm having a very hard time integrating this as I have almost no childhood memories and also because my father was largely absent from my life during those years. I read up a little on sexual abuse and i do fit a scary amount of symptoms, behaviors, history.

I've been actively seeking mdma-assisted psychotherapy to deal with PTSD for some time with lots of leads to nowhere so far. I find it very odd (and scary) that one can find DMT almost anywhere (around here anyway) but mdma seems so elusive. I don't get it.

Im not afraid of anything I might find in my shadow, I've been to hell and back more than a few times in my life - rage doesn't scare me. But I am struggling with the "double-bind" of sexual abuse survivors in that it sort of always seems to turn in on itself - either depression, incapacitation (hiding), self-hatred, etc. I can't seem to get past my very clever defenses... they just loop back around.

I am committed to healing this trauma, for myself, my daughter (single mum, 5 yr old star of a girl) and for our common energy. But how? lots of therapists, docs, meds, etc none seem to help much. Want to "hack" into this so I can feel it, integrate it and move on, continuing to heal. l'll do just about anything for this healing as my condition is affecting my daughter and has already almost destroyed my life (again).

Psilocybin is an option, but I'm unsure of the best way to use it for this purpose. haven't done anything but stupid anti-depressants etc in 10yrs (except medical mj lately). I studied up on the maps protocol but cant seem to find the "guide / therapist / sitter" and I feel it's important to have that person so I make the most of the experience and the medicine. anybody have experience "certifying yourself" to do this type of healing? ayahuasca maybe better? i'm at a loss and frankly, if this goes on much longer, i feel that my daughter may very well be better off without me. I am not showing her how to live life, i'm showing her how to avoid it. and that's just plain wrong - she's crystal, so shiny, deserves so much better than locked up in foreclosed house with frozen mum.

Hi anonymousmama,

I am in a similar situation having a lot of trouble trying to find a suitable sitter. I am from Canberra, Australia, any chance you are near by? Good luck in your search and remember there is always hope.

Cheers,
Andy

greengummybear

yes, you are correct. I've even noticed that marijuana affects me very differently depending not only on the strain but on the energy of the person who grew it. I am not looking for any/all of the tools you mentioned. My search is quite specific - to replicate, as closely as possible, the protocol used by Mithoefer in the MAPS study/studies.

Hey Andy,

no, geographically speaking we are far apart. Thanks for your kind encouragement and best of luck to you as well. I truly believe that we create our reality and that the universe/multiverse/cosmos/flow DOES conspire with us to make manifest our clear intention. I have proof LOL. My medicine has arrived (MDA, not MDMA). And I still am not quite sure about the sitter piece. I am sure that it's an essential piece, so I'm moving forward with that in mind (meaning - I am not using the medicine until I have all pieces in place - don't want to waste this precious gift of opportunity for healing).

Best of luck to you, please let me know how you go...

Ta

Since my last post I've tried a "micro-dose" of psilocybin (0.2g dried mushrooms simmered w ginger tea for 15 mins) and a very modest amount of medical cannabis (which I am now legally allowed to possess, use and grow thank you very much guv). I've read several threads about positive outcomes using microdoses for depression, and psilocybin is an ally for me. Also a teacher.

My bf had the same amount of tea but w/o the mj. we went for a walk with the dog in the sunshine (daughter well looked after elsewhere for the duration - I wouldn't attempt even such a modest experiment without having her safe and happy away from me, hence I was able to focus on myself.

At the time of this experiment, I had halved my meds for about a week already. (wellbutrin, adderall, clonazepam, gabapentin). I felt a definite +1, at times perhaps +1 1/2. bf felt no change, but did not smoke (i have read that mj does increase the effect exponentially, I am also a 'sensitive' person). Classic mushroomyness just very very very slight. slightly wobbly, loose-limbed (which felt great as I have a lot of somatic symptoms, esp in my back). lay down in the sun, issued a complete ban on any topic of conversation that was not positive, began to not want to talk at all, just walk and feel, excess saliva (forgot about the drooling lol) even very distant tiny waves of euphoria rolling towards me. at the same time, I could easily have snapped out at any moment, should the need arise. I could even have driven a car. no visuals, no nausea. lasted at least 3 hours. and it did help very very slightly w the depression.

haven't repeated the experiment again (yet) but the gods are good and the appropriate medicine (MDA) has arrived from trusted source! (!!!!!)
NOW - am re-reading, more research, etc as the "sitter" has still not revealed him/herself. I believe this is very important, so even though I have the medicine now, I won't use it until all the pieces are in place. I cannot ask either of my therapists to do this for obvious reasons, so I am considering asking an experienced, older hippie friend. It's a really big ask and I'm quite shy about it (hello low self-worth and negative feedback loops). this person has no professional training. a couple of other people have been suggested but I don't really want to work with someone I don't know (and who doesn't know me).

My daughter can stay with family, I plan to have art supplies on hand as well as some way to record my session (either writing or voice-record or both, unsure whether I will feel like/be able to write it all as it goes). I am so excited - and I don't want to waste this extremely precious opportunity for healing - I wanna MILK it for every bit of healing that I possibly can. Holding back is difficult, as I see my daughter suffering in some of the same ways I suffered as a child - she is very psychic, very sensitive and very bright and is trying to make sense of her world, which just doesn't make sense at the moment.

I'm leaning towards a chakra-based framework, starting with base and moving through fear, then upwards... don't know how many sessions it will take, I suspect that it won't take many. I'm familiar with the territory, just need to "re-wire" so I don't shriek and fall to pieces every time someone knocks at the door or comes up behind me. I actually lost it and severely thrashed a shoe (which I apologized to later) after a BALLOON came floating at my head from behind. talk about a head-fuck!

ALSO - just in case anyone else reads this and is considering similar work: I am actively involved in psychotherapy and several other modalities. This is the next chapter in what has already been an incredibly long journey and a HUGE amount of WORK. In broad strokes, my approach can be described as 'shadow-work', which is very serious stuff. I am concerned for bf sometimes, because I see him following my lead, and I have chosen to turn and stand and intentionally poke my 'shadow', the beast within, whatever you want to call it, and once given attention it will NOT be denied. So someone like me with avoidant tendencies needs to be VERY CAREFUL (chemistry aside) because it's an uncomfortable process. That's the point. For me, uncomfortable is good, because what's become comfortable is so terrible and destructive.

SO - rambling away, I'll update as I go (keep meaning to start a blog because there is not one single thread i can find about single-parenting with PTSD)...

Best of luck Andy, if you haven't yet found your sitter, then sit tight... As the late great Sasha Shulgin wrote: "when the time is right, it becomes unmistakably obvious that that it is right." (from Pihkal).

anonymousmama, I'm working toward a similar goal.

I had an abusive childhood, and despite years of talk therapy (which was extremely helpful, but limited), much of my emotional response is shut down. Sometimes a life event brings it to the surface (which is both good and bad -- it's a relief to feel it, even though it's painful). But before I can process it, it gets stuffed back down again, and I go numb. Underneath the surface, I can still feel it weighing me down, and it's wreaking havoc.

The Mithoeffer study is what led me to psychedelics. (Something I have zero experience in, BTW.) Specifically I was drawn to the idea that MDMA is said to lower the wall to the subconscious -- the wall that for me keeps springing up and preventing healing. The ideal for me would be to reproduce that study (i.e., use MDMA instead of another psychedelic, and work with someone trained in it) -- but this seems very difficult to do, near-term.

So I'm looking at psilocybin. But I see people saying "don't do psilocybin if you have negative feelings about yourself". That's actually among the feelings I'm *trying* to access -- some pretty dark feelings, actually. (The deeper origin of that is pain, but in abuse situations pain gives rise to anger/hatred toward the abuser, which can then sometimes turn against the victim him/herself -- and that's my situation.) I've worked through most of this at the everyday conscious level, but life events sometimes surface these feelings again, intensely. My hope with psychedelics is to ultimate face the origin of this and release/expel/integrate it.

So I'm trying to understand these comments about psilocybin. Maybe the people saying this have a very different goal in mind (a purely positive/fun experience) or maybe they see negative emotion as "all bad"? Obviously my goal conflicts with that, and even (non-drug) therapy I respond to negative things bubbling up as even a hopeful sign -- my psyche trying to bring to the surface something that needs to be processed and released, and that things might be better on the other side.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to interpret this in light of what I'm trying to do?

To help mitigate any risk about that, I've looked at microdosing -- it's been said it can increase access to the subconscious without things going too out of control. So I'm also curious to hear how your (anonymousmama) experiences go.

anonymousmama said:
I had halved my meds for about a week already. (wellbutrin, adderall, clonazepam, gabapentin).
You should speak with your psychiatrist about this. Though I am not a doctor, I recommend against changing doses and/or using psychedelics while on so many medications.

Also again, Psilocybin containing mushrooms are pharmacologicaly distinct from MDMA. MDA is also pharmacologicaly different than MDMA. There are reasons MAPS is starting research using MDMA rather than MDA in their therapy. Specifically MDA is more psychedelic and produces more of a challenging experience. Changing between and experimenting with these chemicals with no knowledge of how they influence your brain could be playing with fire.

I have used psychedelics many years and have hundreds of pages of documentation. This isn't enough experience I could guide another person through psychedelic therapy. There have been many times where bad experiences left me in distress. Learning through trial and error involves unpleasant mistakes. If I had children my mistakes might have left my children orphans.

Consuming psychedelics while suffering from PTSD, on several medications, and having the responsibility of children should only be pursued in legal professionally guided therapy. In this setting when things get tough people are planing resolutions from the beginning. I'm a person who is usually pretty happy, so don't make much out of this confrontation.

anonymousmama; If you haven't done psychedelics/empathogens before, I really think you should have the first few experiences to have "fun" on.

Last edited:
anonymousmama; If you haven't done psychedelics/empathogens before, I really think you should have the first few experiences to have "fun" on.
Good advice Mitchi - as it happens i do have previous experience. not very much, and mostly positive, with a couple of uncomfortable trips and one very traumatic experience (which is integrating now in miraculous and real ways, 10 years later!)
My first time this time was very affirmative and very safe. 'fun' maybe not so much, but enjoyable and affirmative. i've yet to 'have fun' in this way in a social setting - my paradigm thus far has been intensive healing with much grounding ritual and symbolism, which I've found to be very helpful. anyone else considering designing their own MDMA-assisted therapy to repair trauma as I've done so far might be helped by shamanic practitioner, therapist, loving safe and wise friends, energy medicine, bodywork, poi balls, etc etc etc. My self-designed practice involves all of these and creative work as well.

For me, now, 'mdma-assisted psychotherapy' is one of the tools I have to assist me with the massive undertaking of 'soul-retrieval'. there's loads of different ways to talk in and around stuff like this, and this is the way that I happened to find this time. and it involves this lifetime and others, it's big. and it's not for the faint-of-heart. because intention. simply saying to the universe that i'm willing to deal with whatever's mine (with my standard disclaimer: in the name of the light with ease and grace and joy) has come to mean the universe gives me opportunities to reclaim my power in very large ways. like when my ex-partner physically attacked me and grabbed my car keys and tore the shirt from my body just last week i had a choice - to cower in fear or play some game or whatever. What I chose (without deliberating) was to strike back (yes, i hit him in the face) , kick off my shoes and STAND in my power for all the many many times when i couldn't protect msyelf because i didn't know how or because i was overpowered by someone(s) stronger than me or because those that should have had my back weren't there. Now is not then, and now i can have my own back. I am given another opportunity to stand up for myself and I chose to take it!

i'm not a violent person and i don't advocate violence ever, my pattern for dealing with confrontation in my life thus far has been to avoid it, which is not always appropriate. i'm relating this story to show how big and REAL this work is. Recapitulation, soul-retrieval, the calling back of the Self, whatever we call it, is BIG. and it's real.
Afterward, I hugged my body's triple-warmer meridian and thanked it (my 'inner dad') for looking out for me and keeping me safe. then i walked the dog because i needed to calm down before i picked up my daughter from school. and a few days later, she asked about him and I had the opportunity to let her know that he's not safe right now, so he won't be coming round. It's like that.

All good advice greengummybear - and i'm not alone so have no fear.
been off all meds for months except for tiny amounts of clonazepam or adderall as and when, which is surprisingly infrequent. And since mdma-assisted psychotherapy in a clinical setting is currently out of reach, i've designed my therapy to adhere as closely as possible to the maps protocol (it probably looks pretty different, but the fundamentals are there - including professionals to reach out to as needed)
Thank you for your voice of experience.

Thank you, Elizabeth, for your beautiful story. I too am a therapist. I became one because I thought I was crazy and needed to understand. I found out that my parents were crazy and that began the decades of undoing the damage. It is a gift to help others to find their sanity..as you continue on the path to find your own deepest self.
I am saddened that MDMA therapy is not very available. Maybe I need to get trained myself so I can be ready to offer it. First, I'd like to find where I can get that help myself!