Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Lyme disease + MDMA?

ariabear

Greenlighter
Hey everyone,

Exactly a year ago, I took MDMA at an event for the first time (2 days in a row). I had an awesome time but I started getting really sick afterwards. Turns out the MDMA lowered my immune system and brought out Lyme disease from a tick bite half a year before that. I've been sick for a year and will hopefully be fully recovered by the end of next year. My question is: does anyone know if you can continue to pop after recovering? Or how to strengthen your immune system after popping? Because Lyme goes into "remission" and doesn't actually fully go away and I'm afraid it might come back. I've made a lot of friends since the first time and this is really stopping me from doing a lot of things (I'm only 21).

Thanks

Lyme disease has a few stages - if caught early enough it can be cured by antibiotics. Only late stage 'chronic' (I use '' as the word chronic is still under debate) seems to stay in the body and has certain triggers (alcohol for some people, sugar for others etc-according to the few articles I have just read before answering).

You need to be asking your doctor is the virus still present in your system or if the course of treatment you had (I'm guessing antibiotics) cleared your body of the virus. I can see that you have posted the same question elsewhere - if you get any replies from that site, could you keep this thread updated as I can only see on other post on Lyme+MDMA on here (that went unanswered).

Good luck
Bearlove

Last edited:
Lyme disease has a few stages - if caught early enough it can be cured by antibiotics. Only late stage 'chronic' (I use '' as the word chronic is still under debate) seems to stay in the body and has certain triggers (alcohol for some people, sugar for others etc-according to the few articles I have just read before answering).

You need to be asking your doctor is the virus still present in your system or if the course of treatment you had (I'm guessing antibiotics) cleared your body of the virus. I can see that you have posted the same question elsewhere - if you get any replies from that site, could you keep this thread updated as I can only see on other post on Lyme+MDMA on here (that went unanswered).

Good luck
Bearlove

Thanks Bearlove :)
It's been chronic for a year now.. When I first went to the doctor and asked for antibiotics he said Lyme didn't exist. And yes alcohol and sugar makes it worse.
Sure I'll do that.
x

Thanks Bearlove :)
It's been chronic for a year now.. When I first went to the doctor and asked for antibiotics he said Lyme didn't exist. And yes alcohol and sugar makes it worse.
Sure I'll do that.
x

Wait... What? I think you need to switch doctors, like now. Chronic Lyme can be pretty serious, and like bearlove said there are triggers, differing between people, that can cause the disease to flare up. If alcohol and sugar make it worse I wouldn't mess with MDMA. That's probably not what you want to hear but I think the risk is too great. Lyme disease, while rarely fatal even in later stages, can seriously affect you and in rare cases kill you (heart problems) if it gets to the persistent stage and flares up. These are not chances I would be messing with

How did you test for Lyme disease? What showed up on your blood tests?

I had a PCR done for Lyme. And for co-infections. I'm positive for Mycoplasma and Rickettsia but negative for Lyme. But co-infections usually don't come by themselves so I'm being treated for Lyme as well.

Wait... What? I think you need to switch doctors, like now. Chronic Lyme can be pretty serious, and like bearlove said there are triggers, differing between people, that can cause the disease to flare up. If alcohol and sugar make it worse I wouldn't mess with MDMA. That's probably not what you want to hear but I think the risk is too great. Lyme disease, while rarely fatal even in later stages, can seriously affect you and in rare cases kill you (heart problems) if it gets to the persistent stage and flares up. These are not chances I would be messing with

I'm going to a Lyme literate doctor now who's putting me on 4 types of antibiotics so I wouldn't be touching MDMA anyway. I was just wondering if after treatment I'd be able to take it because I feel like I'm missing out and I'm too young to stop :(

Okay I think this is how it works. We can't drink alcohol because it makes us feel nauseous (1 sip of anything will make me chunder). Can't eat sugar because it's what the bacteria feeds on. And MDMA compromises the immune system which is what Lyme does anyway so it kills any chance of the body recovering. I've taken MDMA at low doses a few times before I knew it was Lyme and honestly I didn't feel any worse after. It's really unpredictable. Sometimes I'll feel my worse when I've been exercising and eating healthy all week, but I'll feel really good after a festival :/

Thanks for your reply <3

A long time ago I thought lyme was the cause of my chronic illness. But the more I learned, the more suspicious I got. You've basically got the scientists/doctors claiming that it's not "science based medication" because chronic lyme cannot be proven. And then you've got lyme literature doctors and thousands of people with unknown health problems who claim that it does exist and cannot be proven wrong, either.

Interestingly my chronic illness did start when I was on an ecstasy come down. And earlier in my life I had a cat who used to come home with ticks attached to her head.

In the end I decided not to pursue Lyme disease because the private hospital that did the test was very suspicious. Firstly they said it would costs 10s of thousands of pounds. And secondly they do other "quackery" like electrical sensitivity http://www.breakspearmedical.com/files/electrical-sensitivity.html. They could be legitimate, but I'm not prepared to spend all my life savings to find out - even though I would do anything to fix my health problems.

So my advice is to keep on your guard about lyme disease, although I'm sure you've done lots of research yourself. I would love to hear more about your testing, your doctor, and whether you fully believe you have lyme disease (the chronic form that the scientists dispute).

Good luck in any case. I hope you recover 100%.

I was once desperately I'll for a number of years and no matter how many 'experts' I saw nobody could identify what was wrong with me. It was eventually determined that I had CFS or ME and that a healthy lifestyle was the way to get better! Well my condition deteriorate until by chance I found a doctor who treated me for mycoplasma and Rickettsia even though the blood tests came back negative. Having been really unwell for 3 years in a space of a couple of months I feel like I was born again and had been given a second lease on life. It was truly miraculous how I responded to what was just over the counter tetracycline antibiotics.

Fast forward 10 years and here I am once again battling a chronic condition but of a different kind. I am suffering a horrendous LTC. In fact after 1.5 years of a LTC I have concluded that some damage was done, without a doubt.

In any event I believe my drastic reaction to E was probably down to my reduced immune system due to those ears of rickettsial infection which can never totally be eradicated.

So in summary, based on my experience I would NEVER touch E if you have previously suffered from Lyme or Rickettsia. It really is not worth the risk. One night of fun is not worth years or a lifetime of torment.

I was once desperately I'll for a number of years and no matter how many 'experts' I saw nobody could identify what was wrong with me. It was eventually determined that I had CFS or ME and that a healthy lifestyle was the way to get better! Well my condition deteriorate until by chance I found a doctor who treated me for mycoplasma and Rickettsia even though the blood tests came back negative. Having been really unwell for 3 years in a space of a couple of months I feel like I was born again and had been given a second lease on life. It was truly miraculous how I responded to what was just over the counter tetracycline antibiotics.

Fast forward 10 years and here I am once again battling a chronic condition but of a different kind. I am suffering a horrendous LTC. In fact after 1.5 years of a LTC I have concluded that some damage was done, without a doubt.

In any event I believe my drastic reaction to E was probably down to my reduced immune system due to those ears of rickettsial infection which can never totally be eradicated.

So in summary, based on my experience I would NEVER touch E if you have previously suffered from Lyme or Rickettsia. It really is not worth the risk. One night of fun is not worth years or a lifetime of torment.

i'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps the Lyme came back since your immune system is compromised? It never really goes away..

A long time ago I thought lyme was the cause of my chronic illness. But the more I learned, the more suspicious I got. You've basically got the scientists/doctors claiming that it's not "science based medication" because chronic lyme cannot be proven. And then you've got lyme literature doctors and thousands of people with unknown health problems who claim that it does exist and cannot be proven wrong, either.

Interestingly my chronic illness did start when I was on an ecstasy come down. And earlier in my life I had a cat who used to come home with ticks attached to her head.

In the end I decided not to pursue Lyme disease because the private hospital that did the test was very suspicious. Firstly they said it would costs 10s of thousands of pounds. And secondly they do other "quackery" like electrical sensitivity http://www.breakspearmedical.com/files/electrical-sensitivity.html. They could be legitimate, but I'm not prepared to spend all my life savings to find out - even though I would do anything to fix my health problems.

So my advice is to keep on your guard about lyme disease, although I'm sure you've done lots of research yourself. I would love to hear more about your testing, your doctor, and whether you fully believe you have lyme disease (the chronic form that the scientists dispute).

Good luck in any case. I hope you recover 100%.

Hey thanks for your reply :) Well I believe chronic Lyme exists because I have it..

Hope you get better soon <3