• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

I'm Having A Rough Comedown!

Aquatic

Greenlighter
Hello all. I found this forum from researching 'hard comedowns' after MDMA use. This seems like a most valuable resource to those who have questions or are struggling like me. First off let me preface this by telling you a little background information:

I'm 27 year old male, and weigh roughly 159 pounds

I used to smoke pot pretty regularly when I was 18-23 years old, but have pretty much laid off of it entirely for the last 5 or so years, smoking very occasionally.

I've taken MDMA twice before this past experience. First time was about 4 years ago and only about 50-70mg. Second time was about four months ago and around 80mg-90mg.
I understand they were very small amounts, and the following days I had no severe effects of using. In fact, I felt great the next day.

I took MDMA this past Friday (6 days ago) and have been having a pretty rough time getting over the after effects/comedown period of this past roll. The MDMA was powder/small crystalline consistency and was INCREDIBLY pure (tested beforehand). I was given a half gram, and split it with my friend giving us about 250mg each.

We had a few beers beforehand at my buddies apartment, and I had about 4. I started dipping at a DJ set, and hadn't started feeing the effects, so I started dipping a little more often. After a little while, it hit me HARD. I started pouring sweat, and felt overheated. I stepped outside in the cool air, and my friends made sure I was okay and stayed with me. It only lasted about 5 minutes before I was feeling good again. I was rolling very hard and was having a great time dancing. We all stayed hydrated and drank plenty of water.

I would say a few hours my roll ended very abruptly, and almost felt like I'd hit a wall (I suppose because I rolled so hard), and had a slight headache, possibly from music, beers?
My friends kept dipping and rolling but I didn't decide to take anymore, my baggie wast even empty, and gave it to another friend who wanted more. So I would say in total I consumed about 150-200mg of MDMA.

The next day felt pretty normal after a night of partying and taking MDMA, but my issue is with the next four/five days that have followed...

I feel very out of it. Almost like my mind is in a haze, and I cant get out of it. I only feel like my brain is working at about 50%. I have a hard time trying to find the words I want to use when speaking to someone else or writing a paper, and jumble my words when Im typing. Its almost feels like I've stupefied myself. When my colleagues speak about the current research they're doing, something that is mentally stimulating, I get overwhelmed easy and tend to just "tune out" and "shut down" so to speak.

Reading papers off a computer/cell phone is overwhelming, and very straining to my eyes/mind. I have little motivation to complete my academic projects or encourage myself to get things done (inside and out of school). I often get feelings of light headedness, and a kind of "dazed" mentality.

I just feel like Im in this funk and want it to end. Im ready to be back to the way I was...

I am in academics and currently getting my masters in science, and my mental awareness is a necessity and something I cherish. I'm worried things will never go back to the way they were and I will feel like this forever. Nobody else I rolled with (about 9 of us) has seemed to have such a harsh comedown, including a first time user that consumed about 250mg. A few were a little out of it for a few days, but not like me. After reading other posts, many seem to be also suffering from anxiety but I haven't really experienced that, but I also know everybody is different.

I have been getting exercise, and have been eating well. I have not drank any alcohol since I rolled with the exception of last night when I had close to a bottle of wine before/during/after dinner, and have been taking a multi vitamin and drinking plenty of water.

I just keep worrying about this funk and keep asking myself "how do I feel now" which I know you're not supposed to do, but its incredibly hard not to. Can any of you offer any advice? Help me please, Im open to all suggestions. Thank you for this valuable resource. You all seem to be very wise and helpful in others endeavors.

I'm so sorry this post is SO LONG, but it kind of helped to write as I went...

Thank you all!
-A worried dude.

I may not help but long ago I consumed around 500 mg in one night. I felt similar to how you describe for 3 weeks. It finally lifted. I hope the same for you.

So here's an update:

Its been just hours shy of the 10 day point. I feel like I am out of the "haze" so to speak. Its not overwhelming when reading off a computer/phone screen anymore, and my typing skills have resumed (I was honestly not the best typer to begin with lol).

My word choice when speaking to people and my people skills altogether are still lacking a bit. I jumble my words, or have trouble finding the right word to use when describing something. I feel a little anxious when speaking to others, even those that I know well. Ive always had great people skills, and this upsets me a bit. Also my mood still isn't the same as it was before. I do not feel nearly as happy, and I guess you could say a bit depressed, and it's still very hard to motivate myself to accomplish anything in the workplace (academia).

However, its been a drastic improvement from a week ago, and I am continuing to get exercise, and trying to eat healthy, as well as take a multi vitamin everyday. Lately Ive consumed alcohol and did get pretty drunk on Thanksgiving, and I suppose this isn't helping my situation...Ill try to keep that to a minimum.

Thank you to all who have responded. If any of you can offer any advice on this subject, please let me know. The frustrating part is that I feel like I didn't really take that much MDMA to have such a bad comedown. I know everybody's body chemistry is different, but its very frustrating to know I had such a bad reaction to it. I've learned my lesson. Definitely not worth taking it again in my experience.

If anybody can offer any advice on the subject, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

It certainly doesn't sound a lot. But as you mentioned, there is a great diversity to how we each react to the aftereffects of mdma. It may well be that you passed a threshold with that 150-200mg. Or the dipping practice perhaps. I suggest you keep the dose lower next time, try dropping 110-120 in one go, no redose. Use an accurate scale, it's real cheap, gemini-20 for some 20 bucks online.

Get some 5 HTP from a health food shop, it works wonders (it helps repair your serotonin receptors which mdma overworks - or something like that)! And you get some cool dreams if you take it at night! :) Other than that, I'd say distract yourself by spending time with friends, doing fun stuff etc, even if you feel shite! Just think of these 'after-effect' feelings as the vibrations of a good night... They will ripple away bit by bit and then you'll just remember how awesome the night was :)

I used to get quite rough comedowns on good 90s mdma pills. I'm still having some lingering effects from a roll in had on Friday (which tested good) I even used to have friends back in the day who would say they would feel like shit for a week after doing xtc. Everyone's different though. I get no comedown at all on bk-mdma/methylone (actually most people I know don't either) so this sometimes makes me wonder if methylone is safer than MDMA? It's too weak for my liking though.

I would just advise the usual eat healthily, stay hydrated and exercise. It will pass, trust me.

Thank you to all that have replied and have reassured me that this is only temporary, not matter how long it may seem at the time! You all have certainly been a drastic help during this 'recovery' period. My lack of motivation to do things frustrates me to the highest degree, especially with finals coming up this week/next week! I suppose this is one of the byproducts of the mild depression/funk that I am currently in. I will definitely purchase some 5 HTP even though Ive heard some people on this forum discredit it, however the majority find it favorable.

Every day seems to be a little better. Just taking it in small increments. Just ready for this mild depressive state to be over! Frustrating...

Did you drink alcohol on your past trips of mdma? That could also have been a factor.

You might dehydrate and overheat more if you drink alcohol and are not a regular user of mdma. I know some people do it and prefer it, but it's not advisable for most people to drink and roll at the same time. It can also dull the effects of mdma as well. People also complain that an alcohol hangover with a mdma comedown really sucks, though I wouldn't know since I have never combined the two. I usually take a cautious approach to hardcore substances, and you should too especially since you reacted like that.

Take care of your mind and body, and you'll be fine. Time will help you the most.

Did you drink alcohol on your past trips of mdma? That could also have been a factor.

You might dehydrate and overheat more if you drink alcohol and are not a regular user of mdma. I know some people do it and prefer it, but it's not advisable for most people to drink and roll at the same time. It can also dull the effects of mdma as well. People also complain that an alcohol hangover with a mdma comedown really sucks, though I wouldn't know since I have never combined the two. I usually take a cautious approach to hardcore substances, and you should too especially since you reacted like that.

Take care of your mind and body, and you'll be fine. Time will help you the most.

I have drank mild alcohol when I have rolled previously in the past. But not to the extent that I had the last time I rolled, now going on close to 3 weeks. I suppose that could have played a large factor. I had about 5 beers, which looking back on it was pretty stupid.

I feel I am roughly about 90% to 95% of the way there, although I still feel like the effects are still there...
I know this may sound stupid, but I seem to have trouble recalling, and connecting words I want to use when speaking to others, especially in my field of graduate school research(i.e. a professor, advisor, or somebody I need to impress). Before I rolled hard that night, I had no problem speaking with others and using 'big words' and conveying the meaning behind what I was trying to say very easily. Now I try to search for the right words to say and I draw a blank, and have trouble conveying what I am trying to say to others.

Other times, I still get spaced out and my mind just shuts down it seems. I know this may sound silly but it worries me, and Im concerned I'll never be back to the way I was.

On the other hand, I suppose this could simply be all in my head as well, and I'm compounding the issues myself my thinking about them. Also I am going through finals, and am not sleeping enough/regularly, having an extreme amount of caffeine intake, not exercising, and am stressed. That too could play a large factor in how I am feeling. With winter break coming up, it might just be what I need to get back on track.

It definitely sounds like your actual daily routine plays the biggest part. Sleep deprivation and lots of caffeine is enough to do that to you - i'm having the same problem, I only sleep like 5hrs and drink 3 strong espresso daily.

5htp is a life saver! I take it when I have a comedown, but I also just take it if I am feeling particularly depressed or anxious anyway and it lifts me up pretty good!!

Hey all!

Thanks for all your responses. I have been taking a 5htp tablet every day along with my multi vitamin for roughly a week now. I feel sightly better every day I suppose, however I am most concerned about my general "non emotional" state. Its like I know I am not acting like myself. I am home on holiday break and I still just don't feel like my original self. Almost like I am in an emotionless or a much more emotionless state than I usually am before I rolled, and I keep telling others "am I acting like my usual self? I dont feel as though I am..."

Its a struggle to accomplish work and motivate myself. Also it seems like a struggle to stay actively engaged in peoples conversations when Im out being social. I just feel very "dull." After looking at the recovery/support thread, as well as your advise, this is all temporary, especially after taking my first "serious dose." I will tell you all one thing, being here and reading your stories of recovery and suggestions is really a helpful tool, especially when times get a little tough (some periods are better than others in my recovery). What an amazing resource for those who are struggling like me.

I am home on break, and am sleeping/eating very healthily. I just need to get back on my workout routine, and probably nix the booze all together. If anybody else is reading this that is having similar circumstances, even after the first serious dosage like me, hang in there, we will get through this...Happy Holidays all!

You kicked your receptors in the ass.. Even though these are not huge amounts but you may be more sensitive. And serotonin plays a big part in your mood. Just takes time, but hey, you know that already. Keep going! Happy holidays :)

I believe this is going away in few days. Everyone reacts differently and the dose you took was not very small. I suggest you keep on doing your routine issues, drinking fluids especially juices. Avoid alcohol by all means. Not a single beer or wine so to ensure you get well the soonest.
If you could go to a doctor it would be a good decision as they might think you´ll need some sort of medicine to help you out. Or a light benzo.
Good luck and merry Christmas!