• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Demerol & Lucid Dreaming/Hypnagonia

Changa707

Bluelighter
Hello BL community, in my first BL post I would like to share my first ever experience with oral Demerol (Meperidine/Pethidine). It was just this last weekend that I acquired 150 mg of Demerol....50mg of which I gave to my friend who combined it with 4 mg snorted Dilaudid. He claimed he could feel the DEM but I think it was the HYDRO he was feeling!
Anyways, next day upon waking I took 100 mg of Demerol on an empty stomach....about 30 minutes later I started feeling a slight warmth/intoxication which slowly increased into a more sedating buzz very similar to about 60 mg codeine (2 T3's). The high didn't last long at all, yet the after effects of this drug seemed to linger on.
That night, about 12 hours after dosing I was feeling rather tired and really wanted to go to bed. Here's the thing, every time I would start drifting off to sleep I would start hearing an increasingly loud ringing noise and although conscious I couldn't open my eyes, speak, or move my body. It was actually a rather terrifying experience and kept me from wanting to sleep ( I was scared to fall asleep ). Anyways, I eventually passed out but am wondering if others have experienced similar side effects to Demerol?

PS. I am aware of Lucid dreaming, which often happens to me when I am sleep deprived and start nodding off. Could it be that the toxic metabolites of Demerol (Norpethidine) were contributing to this hypnagonia I experienced?

For some reason Demerol has always fascinated me...maybe it's the association with Drugstore Cowboys or Michael Jackson that makes it so appealing...hell, the name DEMEROL just sounds awesome! My tolerance to oxycodone is about 12.5 mg to get me high....should I even bother dabbling with higher doses of DEMEROL or will it just fuck up my oxycodone tolerance/ be worth the effects? 100 mg just seemed not worth the side effects...and definitely wasn't comparable to 6.5 mg oxycodone (which is what the charts said)...ALTHOUGH it was hard for me to guage how high I was because my pupils were not constricted or dilated (Demerol didn't seem to have an effect on pupil size).

Demerol has acquired cult status among opioids due to its unique combination of a powerful opoioid rush boosted with potent serotonergic activity. The latter has instant mood-lift effects that are distinct from opioid activity but also limit the dosing due to the risk of triggering serotin syndrome so play it safe and don't go above 100mg (two tablets). With reagrds to lucid dreams... FWIW I experienced the most intense hypnagogic experience of my life while under IM Dilaudid at the hospital attempting to fall asleep, so it may not be specific to Demerol, just to certain opioids of similar potency. Just my 2 cents

I have been thinking about it, and am now of the opinion that the Hypnagonia may have been unrelated to the Demerol. I used methamphetamine a couple days prior and hadn't get the best sleep the night prior. So I think that the Hypangonia may have been related to poor sleep...but i'm sure the Demerol did not help. It would be interesting to read more experiences on this.

Thanks for the response Killfer, I have never experienced IV/IM hydromorphone...but I can imagine that falling asleep with an IM Dilaudid drip would feel odd. I think Hypnagonia is a result of the disruption of REM sleep or something. The only time I get it really pronounced is usually after not sleeping for a couple days and then while accidently falling asleep when I am actually trying to stay awake. It's a strange phenomena, I would love to hear more about lucid dreaming/sleep-paralysis/hypnagonia in general. Maybe there is already a mega thread on this here?

Cheers

Also, I imagined that the anticholinergic component of Demerol may have had something to do with the sleep-paralysis. What do you think?

I know that there used to be a drug called Eukodol (Oxycodone + Scopolamine) that was used by the Germans in the early-mid 20th century. The combination of morphine and scopolamine was given to women in labour (to induce "Twilight-Sleep") up until the 60's in the states I think.
This so-called "twilight-sleep" sounds an awful lot like a dissociated state akin to what I felt the other night. I have read about this "Twilight sleep" combo online and it seems that they discontinued the use of Morphine/Scopolamine and Pethidine during child labour due to unpleasant/dissociative side effects experienced by the mothers.