• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

zanax or ativan

Greenlighter
I currently take ambien, norco, flexiril, and rantidine (sometimes)

I have a short script for ativan.....As long as I stay off the ambien....not going so well as its now 5:55 am and I'm still awake.
I'm wondering if zanax would work better or should I just get a higher dose of ativan?
My next appointment is on the 2nd of dec.

My symptoms are high anxiety and insomnia along with back pain.

All info is appreciated ;)

i vote ativan for anxiety/irritability but ive never tried xanax...
my doctor doesnt trust a drug addict with a zanny bar script, ativan doesn't get you that high really ive tried it. just really fucked up, not "high" or anything

Actually, I'm on a lot of the same stuff you are. Here's what you do:

Ask your doctor about switching from Flexeril to Zanaflex (tizanidine) for muscle spasms. The Zanaflex works better for sleep, IME and a lot of others' experience, than the ambien OR the Ativan/Xanax. And that way, you can still take the Ativan or switch to Xanax and not worry about a sleep aid (and you will be on one less medication, which is always good).

also be warned twice about zanny bar's addictive potential, i know a few addicts who can't stop taking the shit

All benzos have a potential for addiction. Stick with as low a dose as works for your anxiety, and I would also suggest trying meditation, acupuncture, etc. to help.

We can't tell you what medications are going to be helpful for you, as everyone's body is different. Lorazepam (Ativan) and Alprazolam (Xanax) are shit hypnotics (pharmacological agents that induce sleep), but are king when it comes to sedatives/anxiolytics (pharmacological agents that have calming/anti-anxiety properties) - Alprazolam is a bit better at equivalent doses, but more lipid soluble (shorter plateau/duration of action) and half-life (amount of time spent in blood). Diazepam (Valium) is good for both of these purposes (anxiolysis (anti-anxiety) and hypnosis (sleep - inducing) that is), but isn't as effective for anxiety as Alprazolam (and for some, Lorazepam (Diazepam actually works better than Lorazepam than me...you see where the issues comes from? It's all subjective.)). Temazepam (Restoril), Estazolam (ProSom), and Triazolam (Halcion) are great hypnotic (once again, sleep-inducing) agents still in use today, but have no use in day time sedation for debilitating anxiety.

In my honest opinion, Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) is a horrible muscle relaxant. I would personally try to have that switched to Carisoprodol (Soma) - first choice, Baclofen (Kemstro) - second choice, Tizanidine (Zanaflex) - third choice, or at the very least, Methocarbamol (Robaxin). Whatever you do, don't change to Metaxalone (Skelaxin); that is a horrible drug.

To help you out any further, I'd need more information on EVERYTHING you're taking (i.e. dosage (amount you're taking each time in milligrams or micrograms), frequency (how often you take it), and whether these drugs are scheduled (taken at a regular time every day or so many hours regardless) or if they are PRN (as needed every few hours) - for example, on that last bit, there's a difference between taking Norco 10-325 every 4 hours regardless of pain levels and taking Norco 10-325 every 4 hours as needed).

I will PM you this post so that you see it the next time you visit this website.

I've personally taken everything I've mentioned in my post as well as some others. These are my personal recommendations in the form of "Medication (Generic Name) - Frequency - Indication (reason why I suggested it):

One from each section (possibly 2 from the first at much reduced doses)

Xanax (Alprazolam) - TID or QID (3x/day or 4x/day) - Anxiety (Extremely severe, frequent, panic attacks) - (or Xanax XR (Alprazolam XR) - Q-AM or BID (Once or Twice Daily)

Valium (Diazepam) - TID or QID (3x/day or 4x/day) - Anxiety (General/Social anxiety with frequent, moderate intensity panic attack/doctor is uncomfortable with Xanax)

Klonopin (Clonazepam) - BID, TID, or QID (3x/day or 4x/day) - Anxiety (General/Social anxiety with the infrequent, mild-moderate intensity panic attack/doctor is uncomfortable with Xanax/Valium)

(Higher Dose) Ativan (Lorazepam) - BID, TID, or QID (2x/day, 3x/day, or 4x/day) - Anxiety (General/Social anxiety with the infrequent, mild-moderate intensity panic attack/doctor is uncomfortable with any of the above

Soma (Carisoprodol) - TID or QID (3x/day or 4x/day) - Muscle Spasms/Rigidity

Kemstro (Baclofen) - BID (2x/day) - Muscle Spasms/Rigidity (Doctor is uncomfortable writing for Soma, or Soma is too sedating)

Zanaflex (Tizanidine) - BID (2x/day) - Muscle Spasms/Rigidity (Doctor is uncomfortable writing for the two above)

Robaxin (Methocarbamol) - BID or TID (2x/day or 3x/day) - Muscle Spasms/Rigidity (Doctor is uncomfortable writing for the above)

ProSom (Estazolam) - Q-HS (at bedtime) - Insomnia (You have issues getting to sleep, staying asleep, and when you do get sleep, it's never restful)

Restoril (Temazepam) - Q-HS (at bedtime) - Insomnia (You have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep, getting restful sleep, and your provider isn't familiar with ProSom and is uncomfortable with it besides it's great safety profile and greater clinical efficacy than Restoril and Halcion)

Halcion (Triazolam) - Q-HS (at bedtime) - Insomnia (Early waking isn't an issue for you and you just need something to conk you out)

Ambien (Zolpidem) - Q-HS (at bedtime) - Insomnia (Benzodiazepine hypnotics are just too powerful, but you need something that works very similarly)

Lunesta (Eszopiclone) - Q-HS (at bedtime) - Insomnia (Benzodiazepine hypnotics are just too powerful for you, but Ambien just doesn't do it even at 20mg/night)

Lyrica (Pregabalin) is also a good medication in terms of adjunctive therapy for chronic pain issues, anxiety, depression, and insomnia (though it only has FDA approval for the indication of Postherpetic Diabetic Neuropathy. It also potentiates (enhances) any GABAminergic drugs that you would be taking (every drug I mentioned in this post with the exception of Zanaflex (Tizanidine) and Norco (Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen - though, I only mentioned this drug in an example).

If I could dole out my own scripts I'd have Diazepam for general anxiety, Alprazolam for severe anxiety/social anxiety/panic attacks/PTSD, Carisoprodol for muscle spasms/rigidity, Estazolam or insomnia, and Lyrica for neuropathy/anxiety/depression/drug booster for my other drugs.

Please shoot me a PM when you get the one I send you and let me know how often you take how much of everything.

Ive been on both with clonazepam (6mg a day) and I have IBS-d which is also linked to my anxiety. I tried going back to ativan 2mg 2x/day from xanax mg at bed to see if the change up helped my anxiety and better helped the smooth lining of my guts. Ive been on benzos for like 5 or 6 years and ambien (used to walk through 2 of them) I would take the xanax all day especially to help with insomnia and the back pain. ativan works longer but xanax is stronger mg for mg, can be prescribed 2x as strong and works better. Also agree with the above post, xannax for panic attacks all the way and insomni and ativan for relaxed days. Before I got my opiate script I was and still am on clonazepam once a day (switched to 3 but had to give up my ativan, which was barely effective anymore id have traded for xannax given the chance), soma twice a day for back pain/smooth muscle relaxant, plus nausea meds The soma works wonders for the back and helps me sleep sometimes but im a tough cookie.

Last edited:
For this pharmer... alprazolam > clonazepam > lorazepam. I like all 3, but the alprazolam helps my panic attacks and insomnia the best out of those 3 (the only 3 benzos I've been prescribed). They have all helped me, I just find alprazolam to be superior for my needs, although SL lorazepam is quite good at stopping a panic attack in an acceptable amount of time, and clonazepam canot sometimes help my insomnia.

I personally like Ativan more. The high is way better than xanax in my opinion. Ativan makes me feel so calm and cozy. It's relaxing enough to fall asleep on but it doesn't make to ridiculously tired. It takes awhile to kick in though, sometimes up to 2 hours and it lasts longer. Because it takes longer to kick in it isn't really the best for on the spot anxiety and ativan actually makes your anxiety worse the more you take it. Also my tolerance built so quick to it. I use to feel amazing off of a 1 mg then eventually id take two 1 mgs but then got 2 mgs which is way stronger but not long from that id take 3 2 mgs and this was all within a month (not even daily). Now xanax.. for anxiety Its great. It hits within 30 mins but is so short living.. it makes you so fucking tired but as soon as you wake up, even 20 mins later, you can barely feel it. I'm referring to the blue footballs too. Bars are kinda different but overall xanax just makes you feel drunk. I think ativan, besides having to take more and more eventually is muchmore ppleasant but xanax will do the job too. Take it if your unable to sleep even after a night of taking stimulants and it does wonders.