• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Autism + Amphetamines = Miracle?!

lankypill

Greenlighter
Hey all, I have a friend whose name is Bob, he is 18, 6'6" tall and weighs around 200lbs. He was diagnosed with high functioning autism and aspergers syndrome when he was 11 years old. Because of this Bob has always suffered from crippling social communication issues, he wasn't able to buy something in a shop until he was 12 years old because he was scared of saying "thank you" and even now at 18 years old when he eventually plucks up the courage to talk to a stranger or ask a question his words tend to come out in a strange, not understandable in the slightest, slurred way. Often having to repeat himself several times before he eventually manages to say what he wanted to. However, Bob discovered amphetamines in the past couple of days. They are not prescription pills but street pills (they are just sold as mixed amphetamines and please don't tell me the dangers I am fully aware) they are supposedly 120mg each but he doubts that as others have also said they needed 2 or 3. He's using them purely for self medication purposes as he heard they help with ADHD an ADD and was interested in whether they may be able to help him. The results were surprising, and very pleasing. The pills themselves don't feel like high doses, one pill will do barely anything, 2 pills will let him loosen up a bit but not dilate the pupils and 3 pills will make Bob feel completely comfortable with anyone, able to be his jokey, outgoing self that he is with his family and have full conversations with complete strangers They also make his pupils dilate. When Bob has these 3 pills he feels very happy, talkative and interested in what other people have to say, he is actually able to hold a conversation with someone. They don't change his personality but rather reveal what he is like when he is 100% comfortable, plus a bit more energy than usual. But when he gets home, sits on the couch and relaxes he feels a bit tired and not all amped up. It is to his understanding that when someone can truly benefit from drugs such as Adderall or other amphets it does tend to have a sleepy calming affect? Whereas if someone who doesn't need them takes Adderall or other amphets it can make them bounce off the walls? Or is he wrong here? Either way it has lead him to wonder whether he has found the perfect thing for him. Bob took 3 pills today, 1 at around 1pm, another a couple of hours later and another a couple of hours later after that. It is now 20:28, he doesn't feel excitable or necessarily like he needs to talks and move his body but rather he is calm, slightly sleepy and has that feeling you get after staying awake for a long time, which I read is the feeling of dopamine stores getting low after all day pumping out the good stuff? He isn't fidgeting at all and his heart never beat fast enough to cause concern. He has a good appetite and isn't noticing anything that he should be alarmed about. He recently got his braces tightened so he is grinding his teeth to ease the discomfort, he has always done this. Also, he doesn't plan on using them every day, only when he feels he would be going into a very difficult social situation.
So Bob has a few questions;
  1. Does anyone know anything about the effects of Amphets on people with autism?
  2. How long is ideal to take in between uses so that he doesn't build up a tolerance?
  3. If he builds up a tolerance will that stop him from feeling more outgoing and chatty?
  4. Is there any warning signals he should look out for? Health wise since it's not a pharmacy made drug
  5. Has anyone else self medicated for similar reasons? care to share your stories and experiences?
  6. Any general advice, things he should know?
  7. What will happen if he takes it for a few days in a row?

This is Bobs first time doing drugs so he is completely new to everything. He's not doing it to get high or anything like that, just to feel normal. Thanks for your help =D

Last edited:
There isn't any medication that will lessen your autistic symptoms. Actually amphetamine (or ADHD-meds) tends to worsen autistic behaviour, since it can cause repetitive behaviors.

That being said, people with autism (especially adults with asperger or high functioning autism) often have massive social anxiety as well, which is ruining the social behaviour just as much (or more) as the autistic symptoms. And there is a lot of drugs that help on social anxiety.

I have asperger, and after I've started using MDMA, I have actually lost almost all of my social anxiety. I sort of just "figured it out" on my first roll, and it stuck with me when I'm not on drugs. I'm still a bit weird, but it's gotten so much better no that the social anxiety is close to gone.

Btw, remember to test your drugs. :)

There isn't any medication that will lessen your autistic symptoms. Actually amphetamine (or ADHD-meds) tends to worsen autistic behaviour, since it can cause repetitive behaviors.

That being said, people with autism (especially adults with asperger or high functioning autism) often have massive social anxiety as well, which is ruining the social behaviour just as much (or more) as the autistic symptoms. And there is a lot of drugs that help on social anxiety.

I have asperger, and after I've started using MDMA, I have actually lost almost all of my social anxiety. I sort of just "figured it out" on my first roll, and it stuck with me when I'm not on drugs. I'm still a bit weird, but it's gotten so much better no that the social anxiety is close to gone.

Btw, remember to test your drugs. :)

So what you're saying is that the Amphets are relieving social anxiety rather than the symptoms of autism? That makes sense now I think about it. Fortunately Bob doesn't really get affected by his autism in many ways, it's really only social anxiety and he sometimes gets confused with what people are saying or trying to tell him to do. Bob is gonna carry on taking a few more times and see what happens, if anything negative happens he will lessen the dose or just stop completely. Thanks for your input :D

Hi there,

When we talk about drugs here we use the first person. We all know it wasn't Bob and it was you that took it.

Does anyone know anything about the effects of Amphets on people with autism?

I know that MDMA has shown promise of treating some of social symptoms of autism. This video is a great watch if you're interested.

How long is ideal to take in between uses so that he doesn't build up a tolerance?

You can build a tolerance to amphetamines really quick. I'd suggest the best waiting time to be around 2-3 months to reset tolerance. I've found I still developed tolerance with weekly and fortnightly use. It's also a good idea to try and take the minimum amount to achieve the effects you want. Once you start taking higher doses it's really hard to reset tolerance back down and achieve good effects from lower doses.

If he builds up a tolerance will that stop him from feeling more outgoing and chatty?

Yes most definitely. It will also reduce the focus and motivation.

Is there any warning signals he should look out for? Health wise since it's not a pharmacy made drug

High heart rate can be an indicator that you've taken too much but it's typical that stimulants will elevate your heart rate, even prescription-based stimulants. Anxiety can be a sign of tolerance and taking too much. A desire to take the drug everyday can be signs that you're beginning to develop a habit which can form a longer addiction.

Has anyone else self medicated for similar reasons? care to share your stories and experiences?

I've been using prescribed stimulants (ritalin, adderall, dexamp) for studying and found them fantastic for improving your ability to focus and learn. They do reduce my social anxieties as well.

Any general advice, things he should know?

Combining with caffeine can really help reduce tolerance by having to take less amphet but at the same time can keep you awake and stimulated for a long time. Try small doses of caffeine with smaller doses of amphet to see if you can achieve the same effects as amphet alone. If you do combine with caffeine then don't drink any at least 9 hours before you want to sleep. The first time I mixed adderall and caffeine (5mg adderall, 75mg caffeine) I didn't sleep until 5am despite dropping the adderall at 12pm and drinking the caffeine at 2pm. Mixing them with no tolerance will cause great effects but will also last a long, long time.

What will happen if he takes it for a few days in a row?

You'll develop a tolerance quickly and won't achieve good effects from the same doses. Try to limit use to once a week and save it for when you feel you'll need the boost.

Going to move this post to other drugs.

So what you're saying is that the Amphets are relieving social anxiety rather than the symptoms of autism? That makes sense now I think about it. Fortunately Bob doesn't really get affected by his autism in many ways, it's really only social anxiety and he sometimes gets confused with what people are saying or trying to tell him to do. Bob is gonna carry on taking a few more times and see what happens, if anything negative happens he will lessen the dose or just stop completely. Thanks for your input :D

Yes, amp help with social anxiety, not the symptoms of autism.
What you are experiencing is very common for high functioning autism/aspergers. Adults often find that anxiety is what actually is their biggest problem in real life, and what holds them back the most. So it's great that you want to find a solution to your social anxiety.

Regarding amp and sociability. Just think of it, amphetamines makes all people more social, more outgoing, and lessens their boundaries. But you have to be careful, because it's common that even people without social anxiety to begin with, suddenly feel the need to take amp when they are going to be social... And that is not what you want, to be dependent on a drug in order to be social. So watch out, don't overdo it.

If you want to use it to overcome your anxiety - use it that way. Remember it's not a quick fix, you have to work with overcoming your anxiety mentally. Think about your social anxiety and work with your problems when you are on the drug, and after. Also, push yourself a little bit out of your comfort zone after an experience.

Talk to your doctor. There is a good chance that you can get a prescription - which is a lot safer than doing street drugs.

If you wan't I can write a little bit regarding MDMA and overcoming some of my social anxiety and bounderies.

I know that MDMA has shown promise of treating some of social symptoms of autism. This video is a great watch if you're interested.

Thanks for sharing.
I have to specify that this is MDMA-assisted therapy, that may potentially reduce social anxiety/other anxiety in people on the autism spectrum. So MDMA in itself does not reduce autistic symptoms (other than those who are actually a product of stress/anxiety). MDMA does not cure autism or asperger.

For me MDMA helped a lot actually, as I think MDMA has the potential to help a people with all kinds of anxieties - so it's not something special for the autism spectrum.

There is also the fact that when you remove stress or anxiety, a person is much more receptive to learning. And we know that social behaviour can be practised and learned "mechanically" (the way people on the spectrum often learn social behaviour) instead of automatically (which is the case for people without autism/aspergers). So when a person on the autism spectrum no longer are being held back, by stress and anxiety, they also has a much bigger chance of progressing socially as well.

Last but not least, the fact that a person no longer has social anxiety (or that it's greatly reduced) will make them appear a lot better socially. Just think of how socially impaird a person not on the spectrum, but with social anxiety can come off, even though they don't lack any social skills when they are in a safe enviornment.

It can help with the social anxiety, but you can work past social anxiety without drugs too. Best of luck <3

Treating autism with MDMA is like treating psychosis with weed.

That's an incredibly stupid thing to say...
Weed can make a psychosis a lot worse, doing MDMA when you are on the autism spectrum will never make your autism worse... There are really no similarities with your two scenarios at all...

Yeah actually their are. Weed and MDMA both make mental illness overall worse. Your first claim was right, your second was just retarded. What do they teach you in debate class? Never say never. Secondly, MDMA makes a cornucopia of mental illness worse, if it doesn't create it in the first place. Thirdly, connected to that, it's a neurotoxin. So I don't know what you're playing at, but go home.

Yeah actually their are. Weed and MDMA both make mental illness overall worse. Your first claim was right, your second was just retarded. What do they teach you in debate class? Never say never. Secondly, MDMA makes a cornucopia of mental illness worse, if it doesn't create it in the first place. Thirdly, connected to that, it's a neurotoxin. So I don't know what you're playing at, but go home.

You are wrong, mainly because autism is NOT mental illness. And no, MDMA will not make autism worse.

Secondly, no one have been talking about treating autism with MDMA. We are talking about MDMA-assisted therapy, that may potentially reduce social anxiety/other anxiety in people on the autism spectrum.

^That's hotly debated. You want some kid to go on this site and read what you said and take MDMA? I don't think so. It's not even safe, regardless of pre-existing condition.

LOL want me to quote you? Want to argue semantics? Do you know what that is?

Aspergers is a neurological disorder, not a mental illness, according to the DSM.

^That's hotly debated. You want some kid to go on this site and read what you said and take MDMA? I don't think so. It's not even safe, regardless of pre-existing condition.

LOL want me to quote you? Want to argue semantics? Do you know what that is?

No, actually it's not hotly debated. It's a neurological disorder, not a mental illness.

I don't want any kids to take drugs, no matter who and what they are. If you think me pointing out that MDMA-assisted therapy may potentially reduce social anxiety/other anxiety in people, is going to make kids do drugs, then I guess you also have a problem with bluelight in general.

Taking MDMA is relatively safe, as long as you follow some basic rules. Of course it's not without risks, but it's not more dangerous for a person on the spectrum to take MDMA than it is for a person that's not on the spectrum. The effects and side effects are the same, so are the possible dangers.

My real concern is that "bob" doesn't even know what the fuck he's taking!!!

To be correct your buying capsules, off the streets, that supposedly contain 120mg mixed amphetamines??

Shit, it could be nothing in there but a botched batch of methamphetamine and a grain of heroin!

Find a reliable dealer, then work on your self-medication scheme (it'll take you down in the end, FYI)..

Good luck , be safe(er)

Amphetamine pills would never be cut with heroin. That makes zero sense. Street amphetamine is sold in many places and not uncommon.