pre workout booster non AAS?

I feel as if I had great pumps without fatigue even on just tiny dose of baking soda. Not even a teaspoon. I'd say about 100mg-200mg. I didn't measure I just simply sprinkled it to my glass of water. Enough not to be salty but I can taste a slight salt flavor in the water, nothing crazy. From what I've read that I should use baking soda when I take high dose of acidic vitamins (vit C, PABA, and niacin) to neutralize these acids. One of the reason I started using it, but the benefits for the workout thing is also fascinating. I feel as if my belly fat won't go away, I think it's the lactic acid. Hopefully baking soda will be beneficial.

Sodium bicarbonate has been researched by sports scientists for some time, some studies have suggested it has great potential for enhancing anaerobic performance. Perhaps the one major confounding factor is the relatively common side effect of stomach problems.

Underlying theory Energy production via anaerobic glycolysis, which is particularly important for events lasting between 30 seconds and 15 minutes, increases the acidity inside the muscle cells and very soon after does the same to the blood. It is this increase in acidity within the muscle cells that is a major factor in producing fatigue in such events. If there was some way to reduce the acidity within the muscle cells, one could theoretically delay fatigue and thus continue exercising at a very high intensity for longer. Sodium bicarbonate is an alkalising agent and therefore reduces the acidity of the blood (known as a buffering action), but cannot enter the muscle cells to reduce the acidity there. However, by buffering acidity in the blood, bicarbonate may be able to draw more of the acid produced within the muscle cells out into the blood and thus reduce the level of acidity within the muscle cells themselves. This could delay the onset of fatigue.

The main benefit from Sodium Bicarb comes with lactic acid buffering, however you need shiteloads of the stuff for it to be effective (about 30grams a day), and it can be pretty hard on the guts, plus being high in sodium (30g sodium bicarb is around 7.5grams of sodium or 3 teaspoons/1 tablespoon of table salt) so it isn't a bodybuilders best friend - your best to load on it and only use it pre-event. Sodium bicarb and milk and/or calcium caseinate isn't a good combination due to the effect alkali substances have with calcium, eg milk-alkali syndrome and the production of kidney stones, gout etc.
If you have acidic blood ie you've tested the pH of your blood/urine, and need to follow an alkaline diet, then you'd be better off to eat alkaline foods (alkali fruits and vegetables grown in alkaline soils), rather than sodium bicarb/baking soda as a high sodium diet has it's own negative effects.

Last edited:
this shit is water soluble so it enters and leaves the body as soon as after your workouts are done then you can up your muscle protein synthesis afterwards. No?

Good posts GF. The interesting thing about bicarb is that it appears to be less beneficial for bodybuilders as the acidity (it's proposed) somehow mediates aspects of muscle protein synthesis in recovery. I'll see if I can fish out the papers.

Epicatechin. Been taking it for 6 weeks now and have noticed enhanced endurance and pump. Less rest needed between sets and increase in DOMS.
Might even be a myostatin inhibitor, but still doubtfull. Worth taking for enhanced NO + Cardiovascular and brain health.

Lot's of studies if you google it. Branded supps are a bit pricey, but if you can find a bulk supplier this is worth taking year round.

this shit is water soluble so it enters and leaves the body as soon as after your workouts are done then you can up your muscle protein synthesis afterwards. No?

Well yes it's water soluble, and the body immediately attempts to restore pH balance, although the sodium is unfortunately not flushed out very rapidly hence the health risk, but the idea is about acute lactic acidosis (from anaerobic work, the type bodybuilders aim for) in the worked muscle activating an anabolic signalling cascade. However I can't find the papers (and very few have looked at bicarb on resistance training progress and MPS) so until I do we might as well forget I mentioned it lol.

I forgot to mention, if you don't get on with bicarb, you could alternatively try potassium citrate, which is typically more prevalent in the clinical setting, but can easily be picked up from pharmacies. Supplemental potassium is generally less unhealthy than supplemental sodium.

Like I said, I doubt taking baking soda will have any effect on weightlifting workout performance. More to the point, I wouldn't take minuscule benefits from distance running to portend significant benefits in resistance training. Two totally different work systems. That said, there's overlap between endurance and high rep resistance training, shown in studies on creatine.

When I think about people touting obscure supplements, I ask myself why wouldn't the supplement industry broadcast it to the world if it was such an effective antidote?

The supplement industry has a lot of sham placebo products, but they are not shy to give fair time to the few products that do work. In fact, they will use widely reported studies touting benefits on "legit" products to amplify mainstream buzz and solicit endorsements from respected authorities that it's the real deal. Behind all that, they get people in GNC and salesmen offer this that and the other product, claiming it's another panacea that has been covered up and under reported. They will say finally scientists are figuring out what athletes have already known and then try to sell you some rank placebos.

Some examples include melatonin, creatine, whey protein, casein protein, multivitamins, fish oil, glutamine, etc etc

These products have varied track records, but they're all known names. Melatonin is very cheap, yet it's packaged as enhanced sleep recovery formula and sold for exorbitant prices. Ergo, if baking soda was the real deal, don't you think it will be packaged and mixed with "synergistic" ingredients and sold in flashy packages as the next best thing???

On another note, d-amphetamine impairs hypertrophy. It floods your system with chemicals that help to break down fat and muscle. It's useful for dieting with a plan. Otherwise, it impairs nervous system coordination that results in strength decrements. It makes your muscles tense and unable to perform as a unit (to lift a weight). Simple example is how they make your hands shake and feel weak.

Heard about this product, more like catechin but I think they are one in the same. Swanson vitamins sell them as acacia catechu, cheap too. People who have tried it say it keeps them up and awake.

Epicatechin. Been taking it for 6 weeks now and have noticed enhanced endurance and pump. Less rest needed between sets and increase in DOMS.
Might even be a myostatin inhibitor, but still doubtfull. Worth taking for enhanced NO + Cardiovascular and brain health.

Lot's of studies if you google it. Branded supps are a bit pricey, but if you can find a bulk supplier this is worth taking year round.

There's also potassium bicarbonate, so that's without the sodium. Just wondering if that would work as well as baking soda.

I forgot to mention, if you don't get on with bicarb, you could alternatively try potassium citrate, which is typically more prevalent in the clinical setting, but can easily be picked up from pharmacies. Supplemental potassium is generally less unhealthy than supplemental sodium.

There's also potassium bicarbonate, so that's without the sodium. Just wondering if that would work as well as baking soda.

Can't see why it wouldn't. Actually magnesium carbonate would probably be the best if you could get it, shouldn't cause GI upset like magnesium oxide and most people could do with a lot more supplemental magnesium.

I would think mag aspartate and or glycinate would be best.

Can't see why it wouldn't. Actually magnesium carbonate would probably be the best if you could get it, shouldn't cause GI upset like magnesium oxide and most people could do with a lot more supplemental magnesium.

The amphetamine claim you have never happened to me, just awesome strength.

Like I said, I doubt taking baking soda will have any effect on weightlifting workout performance. More to the point, I wouldn't take minuscule benefits from distance running to portend significant benefits in resistance training. Two totally different work systems. That said, there's overlap between endurance and high rep resistance training, shown in studies on creatine.

When I think about people touting obscure supplements, I ask myself why wouldn't the supplement industry broadcast it to the world if it was such an effective antidote?

The supplement industry has a lot of sham placebo products, but they are not shy to give fair time to the few products that do work. In fact, they will use widely reported studies touting benefits on "legit" products to amplify mainstream buzz and solicit endorsements from respected authorities that it's the real deal. Behind all that, they get people in GNC and salesmen offer this that and the other product, claiming it's another panacea that has been covered up and under reported. They will say finally scientists are figuring out what athletes have already known and then try to sell you some rank placebos.

Some examples include melatonin, creatine, whey protein, casein protein, multivitamins, fish oil, glutamine, etc etc

These products have varied track records, but they're all known names. Melatonin is very cheap, yet it's packaged as enhanced sleep recovery formula and sold for exorbitant prices. Ergo, if baking soda was the real deal, don't you think it will be packaged and mixed with "synergistic" ingredients and sold in flashy packages as the next best thing???

On another note, d-amphetamine impairs hypertrophy. It floods your system with chemicals that help to break down fat and muscle. It's useful for dieting with a plan. Otherwise, it impairs nervous system coordination that results in strength decrements. It makes your muscles tense and unable to perform as a unit (to lift a weight). Simple example is how they make your hands shake and feel weak.

obtaining from "foods" is so cliche. That's like saying eat buckets of dark chocolates and get fat when you can get the same thing from supplementing with PEA.

L-tyrosine is an amino acid and dopamine/norepinephrine precursor... Personally you would be better off obtaining it from foods not supplements..
Dopamine synthesis isn't as easy as ingesting precursors, there are rate limiting enzymes involved...

CFC has mentioned potassium citrate, an essential mineral that I had been taking usually post workout, when I think I should be taking it pre workout?
Potassium citrate seem to have the same profile of sodium bicarbonate without the "dangers". Let's take a look:

- Potassium citrate is just as an alkalizing agent as baking soda.

- Potassium citrate is an effective way to treat/manage gout and arrhythmia,

- It is widely used to treat urinary calculi (kidney stones) and is often used by patients with cystinuria

- It is also used as an alkanizing agent in the treatment of mild urinary tract infections such as cystitis.

- Treats and prevents kidney stones by lowering the amount of acid in urine.

- It is also a diuretic.

So drop the baking soda and stick with potassium citrate?

I'm still curious about glucose, should I take it pre or post workout, or both? Would I be better off using baking soda (or now potassium citrate) pre workout and then "feed" the brain and muscles (post workout), instantly with glucose? 15-20 grams (a tablespoon).

I've also been curious about PABA (para amino-benzoic acid) if this is to be taken pre or post workout. It's a precursor for folic acid production which has something to do with red blood cells. Not sure if this whole thing has any place as a pre workout or a post workout supplement?

Sodium bicarbonate has been researched by sports scientists for some time, some studies have suggested it has great potential for enhancing anaerobic performance. Perhaps the one major confounding factor is the relatively common side effect of stomach problems.

Underlying theory Energy production via anaerobic glycolysis, which is particularly important for events lasting between 30 seconds and 15 minutes, increases the acidity inside the muscle cells and very soon after does the same to the blood. It is this increase in acidity within the muscle cells that is a major factor in producing fatigue in such events. If there was some way to reduce the acidity within the muscle cells, one could theoretically delay fatigue and thus continue exercising at a very high intensity for longer. Sodium bicarbonate is an alkalising agent and therefore reduces the acidity of the blood (known as a buffering action), but cannot enter the muscle cells to reduce the acidity there. However, by buffering acidity in the blood, bicarbonate may be able to draw more of the acid produced within the muscle cells out into the blood and thus reduce the level of acidity within the muscle cells themselves. This could delay the onset of fatigue.

The main benefit from Sodium Bicarb comes with lactic acid buffering, however you need shiteloads of the stuff for it to be effective (about 30grams a day), and it can be pretty hard on the guts, plus being high in sodium (30g sodium bicarb is around 7.5grams of sodium or 3 teaspoons/1 tablespoon of table salt) so it isn't a bodybuilders best friend - your best to load on it and only use it pre-event. Sodium bicarb and milk and/or calcium caseinate isn't a good combination due to the effect alkali substances have with calcium, eg milk-alkali syndrome and the production of kidney stones, gout etc.
If you have acidic blood ie you've tested the pH of your blood/urine, and need to follow an alkaline diet, then you'd be better off to eat alkaline foods (alkali fruits and vegetables grown in alkaline soils), rather than sodium bicarb/baking soda as a high sodium diet has it's own negative effects.

Last edited:
So I experimented again today. I forgot to take baking soda preworkout but in the middle of my workout I felt the "lactic acid sore" kick in so I sprinkled tiny amounts of baking soda in my water and started working out again. I think the soreness seem to have lessened. Not sure how instant baking soda works exactly but since it is water soluble I would assume it should work as fast as it did.

Found this quote from a book called Life Extension:

"Stamina can be increased by increasing the availability of molecules and enzymes used in the citric acid energy cycle: the vitamin pantothenic acid, malic acid, citric acid, fumaric acid, succinic acid, etc. Nicotinamide or nicotinic acid is also required".

Anyone here know if there is a supplement that have such combo?

so I tried some potassium citrate today to see if the stamina/strength is there during a deadlift (over 400 pounds). I layed off the amphetamine for the past 2 days. The stamina and strength was there. I also measured my heart rate and since potassium citrate lowers heart rate, the reading was 149/89 whereas before when I didn't take potassium citrate pre deadlift and while I was on amphetamine my heart rate was 226/144. That could be due to the amphetamine combined with blood pressure raising exercise like deadlift. Who knows. I'm still contemplating if I should stick with potassium citrate or sodium bicarbonate. What do you guys think?

Heart rate or BP? You wanna lay of the amphetamines when you train if you can.

L-tyrosine is an amino acid and dopamine/norepinephrine precursor... Personally you would be better off obtaining it from foods not supplements..
Dopamine synthesis isn't as easy as ingesting precursors, there are rate limiting enzymes involved...

Have you even tried it?
I've been doing this for YEARS, since 2k, never train without it and works every time.

Gonna add yohimbe as good pre workout
sulbutiamine
adrafanil
dmae

tinker with these things, thank me later. Super cheap to use.

Have you even tried it?
I've been doing this for YEARS, since 2k, never train without it and works every time.

Gonna add yohimbe as good pre workout
sulbutiamine
adrafanil
dmae

tinker with these things, thank me later. Super cheap to use.

Its basic human physiology..!!

Those numbers were BP, not heart rate. I was saying with potassium citrate use, my BP and heart rate are not as fast as when NOT on potassium citrate (while on BP and heart rate racing workout like deadlift). I take my amphetamine in the morning, by night time/work out time, the half life would have lessened. I don't use amphetamine as pre-workout. LOL. That would skyrocket my BP for sure.

The guy above named Ritch, takes Adrafinil, I think it's a close cousin of amphetamine, he uses it pre workout I'd assume which is a no no for me.

Heart rate or BP? You wanna lay of the amphetamines when you train if you can.