• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Insomniacs: what non-addictive sleep meds work for you?

custard

Bluelighter
(i hope this is the right place for this post?)

I'm looking for a new sleep medication without any psychoactive properties. (No z-drugs, no benzos, etc.) To specify, I struggle with staying asleep, not falling asleep. I know tolerance is subjective, but still curious on what people find does not build tolerance quickly.

Melatonin is all right. My wife is insomniac and that seems to work for her but it can make her groggy! Other then that anything with gaba in it. There is this one called dream weaver that we absolutely loved!

http://www.gnc.com/Ab-Cuts-Sleek-Lean-Dreamweaver-PM/product.jsp?productId=19025146
^^ I'm sure you can find it cheaper than 50 bucks.. we actually found it at ross in the supplement section for 15 bucks and we loved it!

Remeron, or Seroquel. Non addictive ….
Seroquel comes now in controlled release, for sustaining sleep

I've found amitriptyline ~30mg to be the most sustainable non-addictive sleep inducing agent. Paired with a deep deep indica, it does work.

Eschscholtzia californica Cham. and Crataegus monogyna Jacq. in extract form.

I find that Melatonin is great, and the grogginess described can be easily counteracted with exposure to sunlight :)
Be careful with GABAergic drugs - they're addictive.

Melatonin takes weeks to adjust to and you'll have to get bloodtests in the hospital for them, otherwise they're useless. Its a hormone and will only make you sleep better when taken at the right time and in shortage of melatonin flow.
It doesn't make you drowsy, and will not prolong sleeptime, it will only be helpfull in need of a reset in sleeppatern.
If you think this makes you fall asleep without these conditions in place it nothing but placebo.

Good non addictive sleep aids are anti-histamines like promethazine or the ssri mirtazapine.

thanks for the input.

yes, i've tried melatonin in the past and it was ineffective. my sleep schedule is also pretty regular. my insomnia's so severe at this point i need something strong than that anyway.

my doc prescribed me nortriptyline today, so i'm going to try it out and see how it goes..

^^
Ah that's unusual, let me know if it worked.
As i can understand its an antihistamine but doens't work sleep unducing, but there seems to be a post synaptic anatogism with the 5HT2A receptors making it a good sleeping aid, while on the other hand, in the first weeks it may cause insomnia and is therefore often decribed along with a sleeping aid like a benzo.

Why did your doc describe you this?

nortriptyline didn't work for me at all… it had a reverse effect, yet i respond different to usual meds. atypicals knock me out… seroquel. as well as abilify, resperidone.

it did really worke for a friend of mine… guess we are all different. good luck with the new med custard. i'm curious to know how it works for you. :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there really aren't any non-habit forming drugs as or more effective for treating chronic insomnia as their habit-forming counterparts. Insomnia is very similar to pain, anxiety, and several other afflictions in that the efficacy of its available non-addictive pharmacotherapies falls as the severity of the patient's condition rises.

Mild insomnia may be ameliorated with easily available, OTC soporifics like the antihistamines diphenhydramine and doxylamine. Moderate insomnia may be resolved with prescription drugs such as SSRIs, SARIs, antihistamines with stronger somnifacient/sedative-hypnotic properties, etc. But, like with limiting one's analgesics for pain management to only NSAIDs, the worst one's insomnia the worst one's prognosis or quality of life if they obstinately refuse to use benzodiazepines, barbiturates, quinazolinones, nonbenzodiazepines and Z-drugs, other GABAA receptor PAMs or agonists, etc.

One has to realize that every drug (regardless of its abuse potential) has an accompanying set of both detriments (addiction, dependence, abuse, or misuse being nowhere near the worst of which in terms of either severity, lethality, desirability, comfortability, or difficulty of treatment, in my honest opinion) and benefits. It is (or should be) left to the patient's discretion which pharmacotherapy has the most appealing pharmacological profile, which potentially adverse or undesirable effects are worth the risk for the potentially therapeutic or desirable effects, etc.

Most people seem to have a proclivity to greatly underestimate a drug's health risks and embellish its safety if it has a low abuse potential. Additionally, the dangers of a drug tend to be exaggerated if it has a high or above-average abuse potential. The result of which are dangerously distorted notions of drug safety which may directly cause an increased risk of drug overdoses, fatal drug interactions, overprescribed medications, and easier availability of potentially pernicious drugs because of their non-recreational effects.

The top 10, 20, 30, or 100 most unsafe drugs are not addictive or recreational drugs, but are almost entirely drugs that are easily underestimated or too easily available or too overprescribed or too commonly thought of as not being drugs.

nortriptyline didn't work for me at all… it had a reverse effect, yet i respond different to usual meds. atypicals knock me out… seroquel. as well as abilify, resperidone.

it did really worke for a friend of mine… guess we are all different. good luck with the new med custard. i'm curious to know how it works for you. :)

Seroquel will work if you want to get a full and long night of intense sleep.
The only problem is the day after as you get very lazy for the entire day.

It´s an excellent medication to sleep and good for withdraw though.

Last edited:
the nortriptyline works, in that i am sleeping through the night and only waking up once or twice. so that is good. the downside though, is that i am waking up feeling incredibly hungover and like shit the next morning, as if i'd slept much less than i actually did.

i guess it's a step in the right direction, but i don't want to stay on this medication given how awful i feel in the morning, and that i still remain quite tired throughout the day.

*i think i had the same experience when i was prescribed trazodone a couple of years ago. is it likely that all tricyclic antidepressants are going to elicit the same reaction in me?

i guess i should look into a different class of drugs. i think the odd time i've taken dramamine i've slept pretty well with not as bad of a hangover as this stuff. so maybe that will work better? although i think it builds tolerance fast but worth a try. i've been hesitant to use antipsychotics for sleep aids in the past due to fear it would skew my emotional state.. but maybe i will try that too. my friend gave me a few olanzapine which are supposed to be good for sleep.

How do you feel about muscle relaxers? Zanaflex works amazingly for my sleep.

Unfortunately, there really aren't any non-habit forming drugs as or more effective for treating chronic insomnia as their habit-forming counterparts. Insomnia is very similar to pain, anxiety, and several other afflictions in that the efficacy of its available non-addictive pharmacotherapies falls as the severity of the patient's condition rises.

Mild insomnia may be ameliorated with easily available, OTC soporifics like the antihistamines diphenhydramine and doxylamine. Moderate insomnia may be resolved with prescription drugs such as SSRIs, SARIs, antihistamines with stronger somnifacient/sedative-hypnotic properties, etc. But, like with limiting one's analgesics for pain management to only NSAIDs, the worst one's insomnia the worst one's prognosis or quality of life if they obstinately refuse to use benzodiazepines, barbiturates, quinazolinones, nonbenzodiazepines and Z-drugs, other GABAA receptor PAMs or agonists, etc.

thankyou for raising this issue. i don't know what to say though. i am desperate to sleep well, but given my history with addiction and how fragile i feel lately.. i really don't trust myself to take anything psychoactive. i know the addict in me will arise, and i've recently quit all drugs out of necessity. hopefully an antihistamine or antipsychotic will do the trick. this isn't a long-term solution, as my insomnia's much worse lately than usual. just something to get the wheels turning so i can get some rest. i'm not sure what else to do..

How do you feel about muscle relaxers? Zanaflex works amazingly for my sleep.

not a bad idea. my doc prescribed me baclofen a while back which did help with sleep, although i built a tolerance so quickly it was only effective if i took it about once a week. two nights in a row did not work. could try a different one.

currently not much. and i know exercise is a key factor in sleeping well.

i have a pretty severe muscle injury on my shoulders (which only got this bad due to insomnia), so i am currently very limited in what kind of exercise i can do. in the summer i started biking a lot, about 15K a day, which at first helped immensely with insomnia but after a while did absolutely nothing for it.

i'm wondering if, once i regain some strength, a more full-body workout would be more effective for sleep than biking? i really miss doing yoga as it would tire me out and also be a mental stress reliever, but my physiotherapist says it will do more harm than good at this point. maybe i could do a restorative class..

(there are other more intense workouts like martial arts and rock climbing i very much want to do.. but it will be quite some time before i'm healed enough for those)

(* i do sweep, mop, swiffer, at work 4x a week and go for walks so that is still a bit of physical activity)

thankyou for raising this issue. i don't know what to say though. i am desperate to sleep well, but given my history with addiction and how fragile i feel lately.. i really don't trust myself to take anything psychoactive. i know the addict in me will arise, and i've recently quit all drugs out of necessity. hopefully an antihistamine or antipsychotic will do the trick. this isn't a long-term solution, as my insomnia's much worse lately than usual. just something to get the wheels turning so i can get some rest. i'm not sure what else to do..

I would think it'd be imprudent and negligent for one to immediately prescribe or suggest abusable medications to a patient with a known history of problematic substance abuse or addiction.

But no one can make the most agreeable choice for a patient other than the patient himself. The best a physician, say, could ever do is inform the patient of their treatment options and expound on all their potential benefits and drawbacks. The patient must determine if the severity of his insomnia is such that a given treatment is worth its known risks and side effects. While you obviously would not want to develop an addiction, it's still necessary to remain open to assaying every remedy at one's disposal.

You mentioned that you're desperate to resolve your sleep issues. Do you think you're desperate enough and your insomnia is debilitating enough to risk incurring the cost of drug addiction?

At any rate, the most percipient and cautious decision a person in your shoes could make is to attempt the gamut of non-addictive treatment options first, reserving the most effective (a sleep-aid's effectiveness seems to be commensurate with its addiction potential) pharmacotherpeutic alternatives as recourse if and only if all other options have been thoroughly exhausted to little or no avail.

To summarize the foregoing advice, my recommendation is to begin with which ever option has the least risk, gradually working oneself upward to barbiturates. Barbiturates are highly addicting, but they're also the only sedative-hypnotics—perhaps excepting the withdrawn methaqualone and its cognates—that I can guarantee with 100% confidence will put you to sleep any time and every time without exceptions, unless you have some incredibly rare and intractable somnipathy like fatal familial insomnia.

But tread carefully, lest you become helplessly ensnared by another substance. Risk is relative, so it's imperative to ask oneself at the outset if the side effects or sequelae that may arise outweigh the salubrious reward you stand to gain, in your own reasoned opinion.

Last edited:
I use tizanidine and it works well to help me fall asleep an I usually only wake up once or twice and am able to drift back off to dreamland. I suggest you look into muscle relaxers but I am by no means an expert here, lol, as indicated by the greeny.