• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

curing moist buds

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
whats your method of curing buds once they've already been trimmed and bagged but are still a bit moist?

i've been burping it in a glass jar but i'm looking for a better way. I'm thinking maybe something similar to a drying tray/rack in a closet? suggestions?

Get a jug of Damp-Rid (CaCl2)[calcium chloride]). It's the stuff for drying damp basements. Put some in a shallow container, wrap your product in a paper towel or coffee filter and put it in the container with the CaCl2 and seal it. Check it every couple hours until it is at desired dryness.

i've been leaving the jar open with the lid on upside down so nothing can get into it, I was wondering if there was a better way for a larger amount.

Just put it in a wooden drawer over night . That's the fastest way I can think of.

Get a jug of Damp-Rid (CaCl2)[calcium chloride]). It's the stuff for drying damp basements. Put some in a shallow container, wrap your product in a paper towel or coffee filter and put it in the container with the CaCl2 and seal it. Check it every couple hours until it is at desired dryness.

ok i was hoping to not have to go to the store but if other methods don't work i will definitely give it a shot. the calcium chloride won't effect the taste or smell at all?

Spread the buds on some newspaper or whatever... Drying something isn't exactly rocket science. :D

I'd usually first dry in newspaper/paper bag (as mentioned) until a desired dryness was reached and then I would burp in a jar.

If you find the smell diminished after your first "burp", you probably didn't dry it out enough before placing in a closed container jar.

It took me a few times before I became comfortable with it to really know when it's ready but the most important thing to NOT do is to place too early in the jar and leave it there for mold to form (obviously).

is there a way that will help bring out the smell? the smelled good before being cured inside a paper bag but now have a sort of grassy smell to them. When broken up the smell comes back out.

i thought it was because they were cured from wet bud in a paper bag and didn't get to breathe while drying? paper bag method seems more popular than i thought.

is there a way that will help bring out the smell? the smelled good before being cured inside a paper bag but now have a sort of grassy smell to them. When broken up the smell comes back out.
I like to think of the curing process as a way to preserve the smell. The biggest issue for me when drying is uniformity. It's easy to get inconsistent dryness if you are not careful with the placement of the buds themselves. So, instead of bunching all the buds up together and throwing them in a bag, I place each one individually, with minimal touching of other buds during the drying process. The helps the buds to dry uniformly.

If you are getting grass smells while burping, it sounds like you may have started burping too early. If this is the case, then it needs to dry more. You can bend a branch to see how dry it is (if it snaps it's dry). Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to drastically (naturally) change the smell of your bud. Don't get me wrong, you make the smell a lot better during the cure process, but it isn't going to drastically change it.

I like to think of the curing process as a way to preserve the smell. The biggest issue for me when drying is uniformity. It's easy to get inconsistent dryness if you are not careful with the placement of the buds themselves. So, instead of bunching all the buds up together and throwing them in a bag, I place each one individually, with minimal touching of other buds during the drying process. The helps the buds to dry uniformly.

If you are getting grass smells while burping, it sounds like you may have started burping too early. If this is the case, then it needs to dry more. You can bend a branch to see how dry it is (if it snaps it's dry). Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to drastically (naturally) change the smell of your bud. Don't get me wrong, you make the smell a lot better during the cure process, but it isn't going to drastically change it.

so you think they should have stayed in a paper bag for longer? i think you are right on them not being spread out enough as some are more moist than others.

I don't understand how it goes from smelling dank on the plant to smelling grassy after being in a paper bag then plastic bag. does anybody know what causes the grassy smell? it's really crystally just doesn't smell that great.

I don't understand how it goes from smelling dank on the plant to smelling grassy after being in a paper bag then plastic bag. does anybody know what causes the grassy smell? it's really crystally just doesn't smell that great.

It's the chlorophyll that smells/tastes like gras/hay. Curing is the process where the chlorophyll in the buds gets broken down. For this to happen, the buds must have a certain level of moisture. The whole breakdown process is complex and needs time if you want to get most of the chlorophyll out of your buds ( around 4 weeks for good results, the longer the better). The tricky part is to let it dry as slowly as possible without getting mold.

^ Flu got it right, it's the chlorophyll that is causing that smell, which is due to the water content in your plant.

From memory (don't quote me on this), you are suppose to lose about 80% in weight from water when you dry the plant. My numbers may be off but the point is there is A LOT of water you need to get rid of.

If you don't have the correct amount of water (under 20% weight left I would guess?), and you start burping, what you are doing is preserving that "grassy" smell that is naturally in the plant. If you continue to burp with all that extra water content, mold will eventually form completely ruining your bud.

It sounds like your bud is salvageable at this point, so do what you can to finish drying it out and then start burping again once you know it is dry. Next time you do this you should have a better idea of how dry it needs to be and when you start burping, you will know you did it right when your first burp makes you go "omg fuck yeah".

I'd imagine the drying racks you are referring to would help with the uniformity issue I was talking about or at least make it easier/quicker than using a paper bag, but if you a paper bag works just as well as long as you are using the same technique that we were discussing.

EDIT:

so you think they should have stayed in a paper bag for longer? i think you are right on them not being spread out enough as some are more moist than others.
In case I didn't make it clear...YES you should have let them stay in the paper bag for longer.

Last edited:
It's the chlorophyll that smells/tastes like gras/hay. Curing is the process where the chlorophyll in the buds gets broken down. For this to happen, the buds must have a certain level of moisture. The whole breakdown process is complex and needs time if you want to get most of the chlorophyll out of your buds ( around 4 weeks for good results, the longer the better). The tricky part is to let it dry as slowly as possible without getting mold.

ok thanks for the explanation.

^ Flu got it right, it's the chlorophyll that is causing that smell, which is due to the water content in your plant.

From memory (don't quote me on this), you are suppose to lose about 80% in weight from water when you dry the plant. My numbers may be off but the point is there is A LOT of water you need to get rid of.

If you don't have the correct amount of water (under 20% weight left I would guess?), and you start burping, what you are doing is preserving that "grassy" smell that is naturally in the plant. If you continue to burp with all that extra water content, mold will eventually form completely ruining your bud.

It sounds like your bud is salvageable at this point, so do what you can to finish drying it out and then start burping again once you know it is dry. Next time you do this you should have a better idea of how dry it needs to be and when you start burping, you will know you did it right when your first burp makes you go "omg fuck yeah".

I'd imagine the drying racks you are referring to would help with the uniformity issue I was talking about or at least make it easier/quicker than using a paper bag, but if you a paper bag works just as well as long as you are using the same technique that we were discussing.

EDIT:

In case I didn't make it clear...YES you should have let them stay in the paper bag for longer.

ok thats the info i was looking for. thanks for the explanation.

Smell tends to improve when you cure buds. This has been the case for me for all but one grow. Not just that but curing results in a clearer, stronger high and a better taste, smell and burn.

Curing involves gradual process of partial decarboxilation of oxygen molecules from THC and the plant material.

I've always been able to bypass the need for burping by leaving buds to dry an extra 7 days after becoming snap dry by the way. Makes it a whole lot easier and seems to work just as well.

this is a basic question but since we're already talking about it, what temp and for how long do you guys cure your buds? I know time varies, so just wondering a general range. from what i understand 1-2 weeks seems normal, some like to go a 1-2 weeks longer on top of that. this is around 75F..

also do any of you use humidity controlling methods? if so how do you measure/ find the correct humidity? sorry basic again. thanks.

I've always been able to bypass the need for burping by leaving buds to dry an extra 7 days after becoming snap dry by the way. Makes it a whole lot easier and seems to work just as well.
This is a really cool concept that I never tried because I was always hesitant to let it dry out too much lol. I'm sure you saved a lot of work.

this is a basic question but since we're already talking about it, what temp and for how long do you guys cure your buds? I know time varies, so just wondering a general range. from what i understand 1-2 weeks seems normal, some like to go a 1-2 weeks longer on top of that. this is around 75F..

also do any of you use humidity controlling methods? if so how do you measure/ find the correct humidity? sorry basic again. thanks.
I've cured in temps ranging from 40F to 80F, and I generally like the colder conditions better (my best results are growing at lower temps) but I don't see anything wrong with curing at 75F.

I would spend about 4-7 days drying and 2-3 weeks curing, but it's really dry here so there is no need for a humidity control that you might need in more humid areas.

There are gauges (like thermometers) that tell you the humidity and I believe there are machines you can buy to lower the humidity in a room too.