Recruiting [AU: Melbourne]: Interviews about experiences of injecting drug use

PhD Candidate

Greenlighter
You are invited to participate

You are invited to participate in a research study of how ‘recovery’ is understood, experienced, used and critiqued by people who inject drugs and in alcohol and other drug (AOD) treatment. The research is being conducted by Renae Fomiatti, a PhD student with the National Drug Research Institute at Curtin University. You are eligible to participate if you meet two criteria:

- You are over the age of 18
- You currently inject drugs (within the last 30 days) or recently stopped (within the last three years)
- and you are based in Melbourne

Project explanation
In recent years, the language of ‘recovery’ has started to emerge in Australian drug policy, research and AOD services. This study aims to find out what recovery actually is, how recovery is used in treatment and the effects that recovery oriented treatment and policy might have on the lives of people who inject drugs. The study will be using interviews to understand how people who inject drugs and service providers understand, experience and use recovery. Also, the research will involve some observation in different treatment settings to gather information on how people who inject drugs and workers understand drug use, stopping using drugs and recovery. This research is being supervised by Professor David Moore and has ethics approval.

What does it involve?
Interviews will take about one hour and will focus on your opinions on using drugs and stopping using drugs, and your opinions on recovery. As compensation for your time, you will receive a payment of $40 at the end of the interview. Participation is entirely voluntary. You may decline to answer any questions or withdraw from the interview at any time, without any negative consequences for you.

What will the information I provide be used for?
The information collected through the study will be published in a publically available PhD thesis, academic journals and possibly other publications. Your information will be stored securely for five years in a University office. After this it will be destroyed.

Confidentiality
The interviews are anonymous. Interview subjects will be allocated a false name, which will be stored separately from the interview recordings and transcripts and kept in a locked cabinet accessible only to the researcher. Any identifying information will not be used in publications, the thesis or conference presentations. Your anonymity and confidentiality will be protected as much as possible within the limits of the law. This means that what you say will be kept confidential unless you disclose an intention to harm yourself or others, or if a court orders information be released.

For further information, please contact:

Renae Fomiatti
[email protected]

Last edited:
Hi Renae

I assume these people can only be located in Melbourne?

Hi! Sorry, i've amended the notice to include that yes, you need to be based in Melbourne. Thanks for picking up my mistake! Cheers