• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

45 days clean off heroin but still cant sleep

FEDOR85

Bluelighter
If im lucky I might get 2 hours sleep at most. Ive tried weed, melatonin, zopiclone, valium and exercise but still no relief. Anyone know when a heroin addict of 7 years might get a decent sleep after quitting..I feel like im going insane. Im gonna give it till 60 days and if I still cant sleep I know im going to cave and get a bag. I still have bad diarrea and crazy bowel movements, shitting more than 5 times a day aint normal, this is nearly as bad as the no sleep. Anyone have an idea when my bowels return to normal?

Hi FEDOR85 :)

Congratulations (big up to ur sen etc. ;)) for being clean for 45 days and I'm sorry you're still having a rough time of it.

Have you tried loperamide (imodium) for the diarrhoea ? and Valerian root for the insomnia ?

I know how tough relentless insomnia can be, I'd avoid Z drugs (zopiclone and zolpidem) and benzos at this stage as you run a very real risk of ending up with a further addiction issue and they aren't a long term solution.

Have you sought the advice of a doctor, there are other things that can be prescribed, amiltriptyline for example can be useful and is non habit forming.

I wish I could tell you it gets better but I have had no luck after a similar situation. I had been using for over ten years and went in a methadone program where I stayed of the haron for five years then weened myself of the met one MG a week until I was completely clean. I stayed clean for over a year of everything but booze and weed. I never regained a regular bowel movement, always pissin out my ass at any given time and never felt comfortable. Sleep was always irregular and vodka became my crutch so that I could sleep. If I wasn't drunk going to bed I was tossing and turning, sweating and leaking as if I was still trying to detox. Im under the assumption that after using heroin on a regular basis for years the body changes and just cannot go back to its natural state. I hate to be such a downer but that's my experience.
Many years ago after bringing back a nice bag of very pure heroin from Thailand I got myself a very serious habit. When I ran out I went cold turkey. I was in good health and in my early 20's but I still didn't sleep for over a month. After a month and a half I was getting a few hours sleep at night.
I wish you luck FEDOR85, hang in there for as long as you can before you give in. Admitting your going to be a heroin addict for the rest of your life is a big decision, but not the end of the world.

I didn't sleep more than 4 hours a night for about five months.. hang in there. You could try one of these bu then you could become dependent on them.

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE< >here<
OR >Lyrica<
OR >phenibut<

Here is some good information on paws if you haven't checked it out

Congratulations:):D=D, It gets better keep rolling forward.. fight, fight, fight!!!

Last edited:
Have you tried Seroquel? The problem will be staying 4 hours awake.
Seriously, this medication is not addicting, can make you sleep as much as you want, but you will be very lazy for 24 hours.
I prefer not sleeping than using that. But, if you can afford a day in bed it will help you.
I have actually never been able to sleep over 5 to 6 hours, with few stops in between.
I got used to it. And take a nap whenever I can..
But YES, do fight and move on, congratulations!

I must get my doctor to prescribe that

I wish I could tell you it gets better but I have had no luck after a similar situation. I had been using for over ten years and went in a methadone program where I stayed of the haron for five years then weened myself of the met one MG a week until I was completely clean. I stayed clean for over a year of everything but booze and weed. I never regained a regular bowel movement, always pissin out my ass at any given time and never felt comfortable. Sleep was always irregular and vodka became my crutch so that I could sleep. If I wasn't drunk going to bed I was tossing and turning, sweating and leaking as if I was still trying to detox. Im under the assumption that after using heroin on a regular basis for years the body changes and just cannot go back to its natural state. I hate to be such a downer but that's my experience.
Many years ago after bringing back a nice bag of very pure heroin from Thailand I got myself a very serious habit. When I ran out I went cold turkey. I was in good health and in my early 20's but I still didn't sleep for over a month. After a month and a half I was getting a few hours sleep at night.
I wish you luck FEDOR85, hang in there for as long as you can before you give in. Admitting your going to be a heroin addict for the rest of your life is a big decision, but not the end of the world.

So basically my insides and brain are fucked from the gear and ill never sleep or shit proper again? Great news....FML, might aswell use if thats the case

Hi FEDOR85 :)

Congratulations (big up to ur sen etc. ;)) for being clean for 45 days and I'm sorry you're still having a rough time of it.

Have you tried loperamide (imodium) for the diarrhoea ? and Valerian root for the insomnia ?

I know how tough relentless insomnia can be, I'd avoid Z drugs (zopiclone and zolpidem) and benzos at this stage as you run a very real risk of ending up with a further addiction issue and they aren't a long term solution.

Have you sought the advice of a doctor, there are other things that can be prescribed, amiltriptyline for example can be useful and is non habit forming.

Never heard of amiltripyline but anythings worth a try at this stage. And yeah ive tried valerian root with no success. I took loads of immodium during my acute withdrawal, I dont want to be constipated over them so id prefer something that would make me shit solid, not just make me constipated

Thanks for the tips anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically my insides and brain are fucked from the gear and ill never sleep or shit proper again? Great news....FML, might aswell use if thats the case

I very much doubt that's the case, shitty as it is a fair amount of time is required for your body and mind to adjust to a life without opiates. I'm sure many others would confirm that.

Don't let these ongoing problems cloud your mindset and make you fall back into using, your words concern me as they sound like your starting to look for an excuse to use.

I'm not for an instant saying I know what kind of hell your going through right now, but it will improve over time where as using will only get worse over time.

Stay strong <3

Sorry to be a bummer, just my experience but it doesn't mean its going to be yours.

Dude, ask you doctor for Mirtazapine, its a sublime sleeping aid (7.5 to 22.5 mg) and non addictive and it doesnt get you high, its used for addicts and helps plenty of them, me included.

Stay away from lyrica and valium.

I must have read it wrong. Remeron is Mirtazapine, right?
When I used it I remember it was 30 mg or 45 mg. Nothing less was even available then..
"Remeron (Mirtazapina) 7.5mg/15mg/30mg/45mg "
Never mind, what I wanted to endorse was that it was meant to prevent depression, non addictive. It really helped.

Last edited:
It helped me too once after rehab, I still wasn't sleeping well. The Remeron. Seroquel is great also!

Your bowel problems might be from the benzo, or maybe just IBS . You're exercising earlier in the day, right? Exercise at night causes adrenaline issues at bed time. Maybe consider finding a source (dr, or other) of clonidine before caving in and relapsing?

Clonidine? I didn´t know it helped with craving.
I sometimes dream so vividly I´m using and when I wake up, I feel such a relief.
It´s always a good dream, but not a real relapse. It happens more often than I would wish for.

i had the same issue wiith opiate paws i even have it when using now.. i never really get a full night of sleep, nothing is helping i use a lot of different sleeping aid so i can switch em not getting to tolerant to em,, now my tolerance is down to a single pill effect me alltho it dont make me sleep allways but helps some ears ago i could go tru hundreds of benzo's in a month time both tranquilizers, hypnotics, sedatives and what would make you tired i probally tried it... no meds will cure it it however can make your life somewhat able to live all people know how hards it is to function without sleep, then try doing it every day all the time,.. you will go nuts! its nots posibble to just uphold somesort of life with out sleep..

exercise as cliche and boring it sounds, only longterm remedy that dont make you more addicted and work no matter how much you take it ;)
the meds only work for very shirt term fix... (sex also counts as exercise btw)

and cut down on the stims, sugar coffee, energy drinks, teli and light before bed time
i dindt help me but its dosnt hurt :)

also if you only sleep a couple of hours a night then try waiting going to bed before getting tired so you get a couple of good hours that helped me a bit i was able to make myself more and more tired over time with staying active till i litterly dropped to sleep slowly increasing the time

Mate hold in there, i've got a daily codeine habit and i hate the craving for it, i cant even imagine how bad the need for heroin would be. I think so far you have done great i honestly think if i had a heroin habit i wouldn't be able to stop atall. You need something to work for i would honestly try the gym, just work towards goals for yourself. I know Gym isnt what you want to hear, but there is no quick fixes you need to change your life style, exercise will help you get good sleep and will get the good chems flowing.

I know insomnia is a cunt i had plenty of it when i had a diaz habit and exercise helped me out alot, even just long walks

Oh well, I caved in and got a bag a few days ago. The high wasnt even that great considering I hadnt used in 2 months and whats even more weird is I have slight withdrawal symtoms like constant runny nose, sneezing and yawning. Thats bullshit, after only 1 small bag and after being off for 2 bloody months!! Oh well at least I slept nearly 2 days but its still not worth it, even chipping can cause shitty withdrawal symtoms. This time im off it for good....famous last words for many a junkie but this time I mean it. The insomnia and depression ill just have to deal with somehow

^^
Every time you say i quit its a step closer to actually doing it, even when you relapse, in that relapse is another lesson you'll have to learn.

You've seem to made up your mind, you want to quit, now its time to do it.

But the descision alone is not enough, willpower will get you nowhere if you don't have a gameplan.

Write down why you want to quit, what it will provide for you, why you don't want to use anymore. Write down what you think is the cause to abuse drugs, it can be because you have no goals in life, perhaps you are restless, anxious, depressed, you see the wrong people, etc etc.

Your pharmacologic, psychiatric, social and environmental situation needs to be safe and stable, before you can live sober. If you can see what is wrong in those, take on the challenge to improve them, so your attempt to get sober has a much higher chance of succes.

Take this on step by step, the first one is to provide yourself good sleep and excersise, walks, daylight and structure, healthy food and a clean house, daytime activities.
Thats the foundation.

Don't be affraid to get help from a social worker of psychiatrist, its no personal defeat but only shows you're mature enough to do what is needed to go forward in life.

Good luck <3

The thing about quitting is the multitasks and settlement of so many issues so to ensure you stay off longer or maybe even for good.
I have had so many relapses and disappointed so many people - specially those who I love most - that I actually agree that relapses are part of being clean.
It´s nice if you have a therapy and yes a social worker if you can get medical help, you will need all you can get.
For instance you might need to spend some money with a local dentist or paying for some extra medication.
For all I know everything is worthwhile quitting. I´m now trying to handle my cravings, and I stopped quite some time ago, although still using methadone.
All the best!