Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Interstellar

L2R

Bluelight Crew
d: chris nolan
w: the nolans
s: matthew tanfase mcaughey, anne fucking amazeballs hathaway.... and a bunch of others including nolan's own deniro michael caine

interstellar-poster.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/?ref_=nv_sr_1

this comes out tomorrow. my most anticipated film in a long time. a whole hour was shot using imax cameras, so i had to get tickets on the biggest screen in the world (which at full price is really expensive) to enjoy the aspect ration and clarity. i'm going on monday so wifey can come too. i'm not clicking into this thread again until after then.

Something tells me that this isn't worth seeing and that I will be disappointed. Will watch on DVD release.

Seems like a mélange of Contact, Gravity, and Armageddon.

I've been looking forward to seeing this mainly because of Nolan. The only other recent movie I really looked forward to seeing was Gone Girl because of Fincher and that didn't disappoint. I'm trying not to have too high of expectations because I feel they will not be exceeded.

wooo. looks like Ill be the one that smells like weed at the theatre this friday

Something tells me that this isn't worth seeing and that I will be disappointed. Will watch on DVD release.

If the movie is a little disappointing, the dvd experience will surely be disappointing. Even if it's terrible it should make for a great Imax experience. Like Godzilla.

ive been wanting to see this for the past year. alot of reviewers were disappointed/confused about the ending, but im seeing it regardless

not able to see this in imax =/ still looking forward to it tho. i read leaked script/spoilers awhile back and it had me salivating.

OMFG (oh my fairy goofball)
Interstellar is the psychedelic nerdgasm I was praying it would be.

Despite already having tickets for imax Monday, i had time to kill today and couldn't resist.

Some parts are painful to watch. Do NOT get any psychedelics while watching it. The Nolan brothers really know how to set a deep theme around one aspect of human condition. Survival instinct is explored heavily here.

I'm so glad I'll be seeing it twice.

If the movie is a little disappointing, the dvd experience will surely be disappointing. Even if it's terrible it should make for a great Imax experience. Like Godzilla.

Ha! I guess I've been served! %) All I'm saying is the Rotten Tomatoes reviews werent exactly saying must see...
I'll rest easy in my $20 being served elsewhere. Never know might check it out on a regular theatre.

if i chose movies to watch based on other people's opinions, i'd have missed out on some great experiences...

alasdair

Interstellar: The science behind the movie

I GENERALLY enjoy writing movie reviews; they’re a fun way to gather my thoughts about a movie, analysing its plot, the production, the writing, even the science.

It’s for that very reason I dreaded writing this one. I was really looking forward to seeing Interstellar … but I thought it was awful. A total mess. I really, really didn’t like it. And I really, really wanted to.

What makes it worse is that the movie could have been truly great. The overall plot isn’t bad (if a rehash of an old science fiction idea), and some of the ideas in it were solid.

The special effects were breathtaking. Outstanding. But they can’t carry a movie with leaden dialogue, obvious foreshadowing, ham-fisted philosophy, and a serious but misguided attempt to be deep.

And a lot of the critical details in the plot were a mishmash of ideas that made no sense.

And the science. Oh dear. The science.

From here on out there will be spoilers, so fairly warned be thee, say I.

Read the rest, but there are spoilers and it makes the movie sound like a load of shit -

This article was written by Phil Plait, an astronomer and astronomy writer for Slate.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...behind-the-movie/story-fnjwlcze-1227115920269

if i stuck to watching tv & movies where the science was real-world accurate, i'd have missed out on some truly entertaining stuff...

it's the movies. the science doesn't have to make sense.

alasdair

How was the pacing of the movie? Did it move along quickly or did it feel long? Assuming there's at least 10 minutes of credits, it's still more than 2.5 hours. That can feel like a long time if it doesn't hold your interest.

it's not an action movie, but it's not chock block of useless and unnatural exposition. it has just enough for it to make sense. i never got bored. for much of it i wondered where it was going with some iffy concepts, but it gets there in spades.

Interstellar: The science behind the movie

I GENERALLY enjoy writing movie reviews; they’re a fun way to gather my thoughts about a movie, analysing its plot, the production, the writing, even the science.

It’s for that very reason I dreaded writing this one. I was really looking forward to seeing Interstellar … but I thought it was awful. A total mess. I really, really didn’t like it. And I really, really wanted to.

What makes it worse is that the movie could have been truly great. The overall plot isn’t bad (if a rehash of an old science fiction idea), and some of the ideas in it were solid.

The special effects were breathtaking. Outstanding. But they can’t carry a movie with leaden dialogue, obvious foreshadowing, ham-fisted philosophy, and a serious but misguided attempt to be deep.

And a lot of the critical details in the plot were a mishmash of ideas that made no sense.

And the science. Oh dear. The science.

From here on out there will be spoilers, so fairly warned be thee, say I.

Read the rest, but there are spoilers and it makes the movie sound like a load of shit -

This article was written by Phil Plait, an astronomer and astronomy writer for Slate.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...behind-the-movie/story-fnjwlcze-1227115920269

horse shit. the science was amazing.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Like you L2R i couldn't wait and saw it in the normal cinemas, i only have the weekends free and missed the last IMAX session time.

That said.. holy hell. I will be seeing it again in IMAX for sure, i've been waiting for a film like this for a long time. The pacing in the beginning is a bit slow and it does tend to speed up and slow down quite a lot.. but the way it builds and launches into the next scene is just incredible. For most of the film i was also wondering where it was going.. which was a real treat because rarely am i left wondering..

My head was spun when i walked out of the cinemas, not because i didn't understand it but it literally felt like i had just been on a 3 hour epic journey with my emotions thrown all over the place.. im a bit saddened i wont get to experience the initial mystery of the first viewing in IMAX but it'll also give me a chance to properly digest everything.

Overall, phenomenal film.. i would highly recommend it. Felt a bit like a mixture between 2001 A space Odyssey and Contact.

EDIT:

Or perhaps i wont see it in IMAX.. as Perth doesn't have a proper one it seems, just a glorified screen. I saw it in Vmax which is slightly larger then normal cinemas.. but i would only be interested seeing it again in 70mm.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. My brother, not as much. He was really excited- but when it didn't meet his expectation, he seemed let down. I think in it's own way it was quite brilliant, but it could be missed due to certainbgoofiness and unbelievability. But, it explores some interesting thoughts. I saw it yesterday, and may see it again today. I have more to say, but not now. If one keeps an open mind, it can good.

Last edited: