• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Akathisia from Antipsychotics? it's a living hell?

There's a lot of weird stuff that can treat it with no side effects like copper, taurine, zinc, or glucosamine. Not saying any of those thing specifically treat it, but if you look around, you'll find that there are supplements which fix the problem without any side effects. I think the reason these drugs don't work is every person has a different reason for having something like psychosis. Someone might be psychotic from too much speed, another from not enough sleep, another still from severe trauma, another might have a legitimate paranormal/spiritual experience and doubt it as psychosis, yet another might have a deficiency in some obscure vitamin or mineral, and many other possibilities.

Hence why it depends on the person so very much. But I'd try looking around obscure supplements and fringe studies. The truth usually lies there, and it never gets out to the masses because the people making anti-psychotics make too much money and so they basically buy off the medical industry and FDA. I know that sounds like psychotic thinking, but in this case, it isn't a conspiracy, just simple fact. Imagine someone just has a simple deficiency in something like niacin and they take a pill and they are cured with no side effects, a pill that costs a fraction of the drug you are selling. Would you want them to know about it? Wouldn't you do everything in your power to scare people into using your product and not the competitors?

Sadly the medical profession is nothing but a big business, and whatever makes money is what is promoted, NOT what effectively helps people. Once you realize that sociopaths who only care about their own gain (and who are mentally ill because of their lack of empathy) rule these industries, it suddenly makes a lot of sense. And for proof? I've met numerous people with severe mental illness who have found they can completely treat it with simple supplements, who would have thought? And for the record I'm not some hippy advocating natural medicine over chemical medicine, I'm saying trying the obscure things because usually they work, hence why they are either illegal or obscure.

You are so very correct here. I blame Eli Lilly (now just Lilly) for the modern day "pharmageddon." Even after all of the lawsuits against Prozac, they still had enough money to pay people off and keep the drug on the market despite the fact that even in 2015 it still has the highest recorded number of adverse effects at the FDA's Medwatch program. Lilly even managed to survive another onslaught of lawsuits with Zyprexa when it clearly showed that it caused diabetes. Zyprexa is still on the market today.

The antipsychotics aren't bad if you have severe positive symptoms. There's really no other choice. Before antipsychotics you just got put in a straitjacket or were lobotomized. We're not that far along... it's only been 60 or so years since that stopped. For negative symptoms they aren't very impressive except clozapine apparently.

But fish oil is supposed to make an impact in high doses across months. I recently just started it.

The antipsychotics aren't bad if you have severe positive symptoms. There's really no other choice. Before antipsychotics you just got put in a straitjacket or were lobotomized. We're not that far along... it's only been 60 or so years since that stopped. For negative symptoms they aren't very impressive except clozapine apparently.

But fish oil is supposed to make an impact in high doses across months. I recently just started it.

Why do you need to stop psychosis? If you find happiness and deal with the other aspects of your life that are causing you problems, your psychosis will sleep.

Mainly sleeping, facing your fears, eating something, exercise, and love from family and friends, not to mention believing in yourself.

The majority of the world is religious which means the majority of the world is currently in deep psychosis. Fact.

Psychosis isn't something to treat, anymore than art or spirituality are also mental illnesses.

That's why these drugs will never work.

Without my 10mg per day of haldol (or equivalent), I would quickly (in a matter of days) become manic sometimes to the point of becoming delusional in the process. I would also lose about 50 lbs over 4 months, but being in a mental hospital isn't a good trade off for a washboard stomach. I wish I could quit, but every time I try, it becomes another epic fail.

Hi, I don't think you've had it, it's absolutely impossible to ignore, my friend. Neurontin isn't an anxiolytic, it's for epilepsy drug, also used, as you say, for nerve pain. Conversely, I wouldn't say that benzodiazepines are anticonvulsants and anticonvulsants ARE anti-seizure medications, same thing. I've only had relief from diphenhydramine (Benadryl) I've just read that opiates make it worse & I'm on Oxycontin for bad pain Aaaaagh!

Thanks Flowing, I had no idea that Zyprexa (I know it as Olanzapine) could cause diabetes. I just looked it up and it certainly seems to be true. I'm currently trying to refuse antipsychotics but I keep being told that I need them (for depression) I'm already stuck on Duloxetine because I hear that the withdrawal is sooooo bad with it.

I had it from Abilify once from starting out on too high a dosage. My psychiatrist started me on 2 mg then and very slowly titrated up, and that time I didn't get it. Going slowly up in dose was key.

Hi, I don't think you've had it, it's absolutely impossible to ignore, my friend. Neurontin isn't an anxiolytic, it's for epilepsy drug, also used, as you say, for nerve pain. Conversely, I wouldn't say that benzodiazepines are anticonvulsants and anticonvulsants ARE anti-seizure medications, same thing. I've only had relief from diphenhydramine (Benadryl) I've just read that opiates make it worse & I'm on Oxycontin for bad pain Aaaaagh!

Actually some Benzos most notably Clonazepam, Valium and Lorazepam are commonly used in the acute and long term treatment of Epilepsy to control seizures. Gabapentin is listed as a anti-convulsant but from what i have read it is mostly used for neuropathic pain these days and is not much of a anti-convulsant. It does help restless leg syndrome alot though.

Seroquel/quiteapine gave me this awful feeling ... If I'd had a chainsaw I would.have cut my fucking leg off. Two days of that was all I could take.
can't recall.why my Dr even wanted me to take that shit when I was already on. Risperidone and lamotragine.

If I take even 0.5mg more Risperidone a day it knocks me the hell out ... Wish I didn't need this crap or could take simple "herbal supplements" but miss a few days of meds and it feels like the world is crashing down in.a mmill in pieces. Can barely contain my rage on a daily basis as-is. Still think I'll violently assault or kill someone any day unless I can find the right drugs to take.

Seroquel/quiteapine gave me this awful feeling ... If I'd had a chainsaw I would.have cut my fucking leg off. Two days of that was all I could take.
can't recall.why my Dr even wanted me to take that shit when I was already on. Risperidone and lamotragine.

If I take even 0.5mg more Risperidone a day it knocks me the hell out ... Wish I didn't need this crap or could take simple "herbal supplements" but miss a few days of meds and it feels like the world is crashing down in.a mmill in pieces. Can barely contain my rage on a daily basis as-is. Still think I'll violently assault or kill someone any day unless I can find the right drugs to take.

I am not a fan of Risperidone either and i don't find it to work that great for bipolar disorder anyway. I was once on Seroquel and Risperdal together as well. I think i was on maybe 300mg's of Seroquel and 2-4mg's of Risperdal . This was during a rather intense manic episode though and even that didn't calm me down. That was by far my worst and longest running manic episode as it lasted months and i literally could barely sit still or keep my mind on one task. Usually Risperidone in doses of 2mg's or more turns me into a zombie but when i am manic i tend not to get the zombie effect from it. The more manic i am the more Risperdal i can take without any side effects it seems. I should have gotten some Olanzapine and paid for it out of pocket because that works far better for me then Risperidone or Quetiapine do. Too bad it costs $8 per 10mg pill and my insurance doesn't cover it :! . On the plus side i ended up getting in really good shape during that time because i did nothing but work out and smoke as much weed as possible. Gotta look on the brightside i guess :p

Lately i have been far more depressed then i have let on. Many days i can't be fucked doing even the most basic things like making a phone call and since i can't work out now because my shoulder is fucked i just sit around all day and watch TV shows and movies. I have also noticed myself avoiding certain people and everyone altogether at times more then i used to. It's not the i wanna blow my brains out type of depression so much as the i can't be fucked doing anything type of depression. I started taking Wellbutrin again but i have only been on it a few days and am only at 150mg's yet so it's not working yet. If it doesn't work at 300mg's i may try 450mg's a day or switching to a Tricyclic such as Amitriptyline or Trimipramine. I think i may get my dose of Seroquel increased as well to help the anti-depressant along.

I have anger issues as well and my court records kinda show that :p . I find Cannabis and Clonazepam (or any benzo really) to be a good combo at helping my anger problems. Seroquel helps abit too but isn't a good emergency med like Zyprexa or Thorazine aka Largactil. It has gotten better over the last year but sometimes i feel like a powder keg waiting for a excuse to go off.

Last edited:
i've got this shit right now. makes me want to jump out a fucking window or drink heavily (and I haven't drank in a long time.) i'm gonna stop taking all my medication and hope I don't end up in jail.

Last night was so, so awful with this. I got it terribly in my arms and wrists, though, more than my legs, which seems odd. I just... it builds and builds and then you have to basically jump out of your skin. I can totally see why people who have to do this that badly 24/7 can't handle it. I can barely do it for a night.
I fucking hate it, but the thing that causes it (arapiprazole) is the ONLY thing I've found that helps with my depression. And unfortunately, the depression gets bad enough that it's a trade I'm willing to make most of the time. But nights like that make me wonder.

it centers in my back but affects my whole body
I know people who are on Haldol who only get it in their legs but for me it's whole-body
can't tel you how much time i've spent pacing when i wanted to sit down

Last night was so, so awful with this. I got it terribly in my arms and wrists, though, more than my legs, which seems odd. I just... it builds and builds and then you have to basically jump out of your skin. I can totally see why people who have to do this that badly 24/7 can't handle it. I can barely do it for a night.
I fucking hate it, but the thing that causes it (arapiprazole) is the ONLY thing I've found that helps with my depression. And unfortunately, the depression gets bad enough that it's a trade I'm willing to make most of the time. But nights like that make me wonder.

Have you tried other anti-psychotics like Zyprexa, Geodon/Zeldox or even some of the typicals such as Loxapine, tricyclic anti-depressants, Wellbutrin or even a MAOI? I have only had Akathisia once which was the result of mixing Cyclobenzaprine with Amitriptyline and it was fucking awful. I only had it for a few hours and i don't know how the fuck people can live with that 24-7. Abilify get's a bad rep for causing Akathisia which is probably due to it's stimulating properties and lack of anti-cholinergic and H1 antagonist effects.

If there are any other drugs you can try for your depression id try them because Akathisia is fucking awful.

I am not a fan of Risperidone either and i don't find it to work that great for bipolar disorder anyway. I was once on Seroquel and Risperdal together as well. I think i was on maybe 300mg's of Seroquel and 2-4mg's of Risperdal . This was during a rather intense manic episode though and even that didn't calm me down. That was by far my worst and longest running manic episode as it lasted months and i literally could barely sit still or keep my mind on one task. Usually Risperidone in doses of 2mg's or more turns me into a zombie but when i am manic i tend not to get the zombie effect from it. The more manic i am the more Risperdal i can take without any side effects it seems. I should have gotten some Olanzapine and paid for it out of pocket because that works far better for me then Risperidone or Quetiapine do. Too bad it costs $8 per 10mg pill and my insurance doesn't cover it :! . On the plus side i ended up getting in really good shape during that time because i did nothing but work out and smoke as much weed as possible. Gotta look on the brightside i guess :p

Lately i have been far more depressed then i have let on. Many days i can't be fucked doing even the most basic things like making a phone call and since i can't work out now because my shoulder is fucked i just sit around all day and watch TV shows and movies. I have also noticed myself avoiding certain people and everyone altogether at times more then i used to. It's not the i wanna blow my brains out type of depression so much as the i can't be fucked doing anything type of depression. I started taking Wellbutrin again but i have only been on it a few days and am only at 150mg's yet so it's not working yet. If it doesn't work at 300mg's i may try 450mg's a day or switching to a Tricyclic such as Amitriptyline or Trimipramine. I think i may get my dose of Seroquel increased as well to help the anti-depressant along.

I have anger issues as well and my court records kinda show that :p . I find Cannabis and Clonazepam (or any benzo really) to be a good combo at helping my anger problems. Seroquel helps abit too but isn't a good emergency med like Zyprexa or Thorazine aka Largactil. It has gotten better over the last year but sometimes i feel like a powder keg waiting for a excuse to go off.

That sucks about your anger issues. I get angry like that with video games, or if I'm trying to fix something.

But about my invega taper. I had to take heed your advice about stopping the taper and getting back on my regimen if I started feeling withdrawals. I was trying to go from a 3 mg to 1.5 mg, but that's the only way to taper with invega..! They only come in 1.5, 3, 6, and 9. I was able to taper down from 3 to 1.5 about 3 years ago. The first night I had psychosis of these real vivid horrific thoughts of hell and demons, but I managed to get through it, and was able to be stable on the 1.5 for 10 months. I then tried to taper down to nothing, but had another freak out after a month, and got back on 3 mg. Been on it for a year, and tried to cold turkey, and got horrible insomnia. Now, I tried to taper from 3 to 1.5 and still got horrible insomnia, but no psychosis.

Do you have any recommendations on how I could taper off or maybe just down to a lower dosage without getting insomnia Paradroid, b/c the professionals don't seem to help..? U seem to have a pretty good knowledge of things.

Why do you need to stop psychosis? If you find happiness and deal with the other aspects of your life that are causing you problems, your psychosis will sleep.

Mainly sleeping, facing your fears, eating something, exercise, and love from family and friends, not to mention believing in yourself.

The majority of the world is religious which means the majority of the world is currently in deep psychosis. Fact.

Because psychosis can be the most terrifying experience humans are capable of experiencing? Bit hard to 'find happiness' when you're stuck in an inescapable nightmare world.

Also, antipsychotics do work. Not every drug and not every person (and maybe not quite the hit rate you'd like them to have) but they are demonstrably effective in treating psychotic symptoms.

That sucks about your anger issues. I get angry like that with video games, or if I'm trying to fix something.

But about my invega taper. I had to take heed your advice about stopping the taper and getting back on my regimen if I started feeling withdrawals. I was trying to go from a 3 mg to 1.5 mg, but that's the only way to taper with invega..! They only come in 1.5, 3, 6, and 9. I was able to taper down from 3 to 1.5 about 3 years ago. The first night I had psychosis of these real vivid horrific thoughts of hell and demons, but I managed to get through it, and was able to be stable on the 1.5 for 10 months. I then tried to taper down to nothing, but had another freak out after a month, and got back on 3 mg. Been on it for a year, and tried to cold turkey, and got horrible insomnia. Now, I tried to taper from 3 to 1.5 and still got horrible insomnia, but no psychosis.

Do you have any recommendations on how I could taper off or maybe just down to a lower dosage without getting insomnia Paradroid, b/c the professionals don't seem to help..? U seem to have a pretty good knowledge of things.

Well you could switch over to a equal dose of Risperidone as Paliperidone is just the active metabolite of Risperidone anyway. It comes in 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg, 3mg and 4mg pills all of which you can easily split. So it is very easy to adjust the dose with Risperidone and as Invega is basically the same drug with the same effects and side effects switching over shouldn't be too hard.

Both Risperidone and Paliperidone seem to be among the worst offenders for causing rebound symptoms as well as withdrawal symptoms. So the slower the taper the better for sure.

Well you could switch over to a equal dose of Risperidone as Paliperidone is just the active metabolite of Risperidone anyway. It comes in 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg, 3mg and 4mg pills all of which you can easily split. So it is very easy to adjust the dose with Risperidone and as Invega is basically the same drug with the same effects and side effects switching over shouldn't be too hard.

Both Risperidone and Paliperidone seem to be among the worst offenders for causing rebound symptoms as well as withdrawal symptoms. So the slower the taper the better for sure.

Yeah, I would be the one to get on a drug that causes the worst side effects...8) It's alright tho, could be on a higher dosage...

But yeah, I'm gonna talk to this new pdoc about trying to switch to risperidone for one b/c it's cheaper and two be able to actually taper down safely. Just hope I don't get any serious side-effects of switching... I do think it's the best option right now b/c the only other two options are to try to taper down to the 1.5 and take sleep aids as needed and try to grind through the withdrawals OR switch to the monthly shot and try to ween down a little bit every shot, but that might make worst side effects with the amount of dosage.

But I do hope you find some sort of peace with your raging. Hope u don't fall victim to hurting someone else or yourself.

I've noticed that sometimes (I'm on arapiprazole), I'll just sit still as a statue for like an hour, and other times the akasthisia is awful.
I am also on benzotropine and propranolol for the movements/akasthisia. Does anyone else get this?

Yes, I had it. First I had the activated kind, which the psychiatrist who prescribed whatever I was on (I think arapiprazole was in the mix) said was mania, and I hopped on the fake-bipolar express. When I wised up and quit all the drugs 3 years later, I went through many phases of withdrawal/recovery. The statue-sitting phase was near the end.

Spoiler: This is all it says: "yet patients with mild akathisia may sit without moving a muscle"

Compr Psychiatry. 1975 Jan-Feb;16(1):43-7.
The many faces of akathisia.
Van Putten
Full text at http://psychrights.o...ofAkathisia.PDF

Look into Dr. William Walsh and Dr. Hoffer. They have done many studies and have had great results with orthomolecular therapy. (methylation, Niacin, copper toxicity, etc). A lot of info on the web.