• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Trying to figure out what i want to do after highschool..

bennyboy8580

Greenlighter
What fun jobs, opportunities or education are there be for someone who is interested in studying psychoactive drugs or technology? I am not concerned with making tonnes of money, however it would be nice. I was considering going to Oaksterdam. My brother owns a very successful business and has offered to fund my education or fund any business opportunities that have a high expected value.

double major in a neuro-science/pharmacolohy/bio-chem/something similar and add on a software engineering degree and you will have a license to print money after 10-12 years of schooling

S&T ----> E&C

I would not worry about setting a strict destination.. start by taking some classes in areas you feal might be your calling and see where it leads you. I agree don't worry about the money to much. It does not bring happiness and comes with tons of problems usually. Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.

Psychoactive drugs or technology? Two completely unrelated things. You could go in as an undeclared major and just take classes that interest you like neversickanymore said. That should help you narrow your interests down. You should definitely allow your brother to fund your education and maybe help him with his business in exchange. Business skills are always a plus.

What fun jobs, opportunities or education

All good advice in this thread so far. I'm only here to add that you can have fun jobs and do fun things while still pursuing your education. Try studying abroad for at least a semester. The world is getting smaller by the minute and being able to see how other countries do things will help open your eyes and mind.

I have no idea if you find it interesting to read, but I had some trouble figuring out what I wanted to do with my future as well, so here's the story of how it went for me:

I personally just follow my heart, I have above average intelligence and really like multiple things, but find it most important that I'll be doing a job which I don't have to force myself to go to.

-Science
-Transfering knowledge
-The English language
-Psychology of both humans and other animals, also the aiding in struggles of this
-Youth (Especially how all of the grown ups seem to look down on youngsters in one way or another, except their own children, those are the exception. This fascinates me and I personally love to look at the way the youth responds to this behaviour.)
-Computers (and everything that comes along with it, like coding/webdesign etc.)

These were all my interests. I just wrote down the things I was genuinely interested in and thought to myself: What job can I apply some of these things to?
At the moment I did that, I was really into the computer stuff, but decided that I wanted to keep that as a hobby, because as a job, I think it'll be exhausting and I use my computer to relax after a long day. So that would cause me to live a life in front of a computer almost 24/7.
Then education came to mind, becoming a teacher of a subject that I love. That way I expand my knowledge on the subject myself and can later transfer that knowledge onto others. At first I chose to study English Language & Culture, but it didn't take long to notice that this was mostly literary analysis and what not, which didn't really feel useful to me. It felt like all I learnt was to critisize other people's work in an academic manner.
I then chose to quit that study and get another type of (high school) math. Usually that takes three years, but since I just did 1 subject it was a piece of cake doing it in one year. After that I was qualified to do Chemistry at university level, which is where I am at now. I really love the study and the thought of what it will bring to my future.

I hope to become not only a chemistry teacher, but also a student counselor of some sort. I combine science, transfering knowledge and youth. The study is fully in English, even though I'm Dutch and if I manage to also become a counselor, I add the psychology part as well. Now where's the computer stuff? Well, that's what I currently earn money with. I fix people's computer problems for a few bucks. I am my own boss, decide my own times, earn enough to keep myself comfortable while studying and people love me for what I do.

Derp.