• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Effect of cannabis on methylphenidate tolerance

contradictionary

Greenlighter
Is there a cross-tolerance, as they're both dopaminergic? See this study, it's got me worried: http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-be...t-smoking-could-damage-brains-pleasure-center

I'm on an emergency two week tolerance break and break from work, from long-term medical use of methylphenidate for ADHD. It just stopped working almost at all. I think my dose was higher than it really needed to be. However, I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms at all.

Because methylphenidate is also fantastic at treating my OCD, now the OCD is driving me crazier than before. On the sixth day with no medication, I used cannabis for the first time for relief for my OCD, which I'm hoping will become long-term relief due to its anti-inflammatory effects, as mental illnesses seem to be exacerbated by chronic inflammation.

The distress caused by the OCD is so bad I don't know if I can hold out another six days without using cannabis before the end of the break. Obviously this isn't an issue of dependence because I've just used cannabis once, but I'm desperate to do it again because often I'm feeling desperate for any kind of relief at all. If it's not cannabis it will be alcohol, which again I've never had a dependence on, it's just desperate grasping for anything. Alcohol is also dopaminergic so again, even using it once might increase my tolerance (would it?). I don't want to use my 5-HTP either, because I'd been using it for a few months and probably need a break from that too. It's not hugely effective and there might be cross-tolerance between that and cannabis, so I might ruin my hope of cannabis helping me if I use it.

So if I use enough cannabis to get stoned one more time before I go back to work (and 5 days per week twice per day use of methylphenidate), how likely is it to ruin my attempt to greatly reduce my methylphenidate tolerance? I might not be able to help myself at this rate anyway, but just so I know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me why you think that or link me to somewhere that explains it?

PS I've just added a link to the study that's got me worried, in my original post

Last edited:
That's a good question. I have no links but I can tell you that just because the two drugs are both dopaminergic it doesn't mean that they have cross tolerance.
It depends on which receptors they act and cannabis definitely targets different receptors than methylphenidate (Cannabis is a very unique drug too so it has receptors that are exclusively related to cannabinoids AFAIK).

THC down-regulates D1 and D2 receptors, e.g. this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1321451

And they're the two types of receptors crucial for methylphenidate's effectiveness: http://www.bioquicknews.com/node/289

However, it's the prefrontal cortex D1 and D2 receptors I really care about for ADHD, and I can't find any information about how cannabis affects those, only that it does increase dopamine levels in the PFC.

THC inhibits GABA, THC downregulates D1 and D2 receptors... Boy! I was never really much interested in how exactly THC and other cannabinoids work as opposed to my interest in the mode of action of a lot of other psychoactive compounds. But I've been regularly smoking weed for a few years now and it seems that since I quit benzodiazepines 10 months ago, I should stay away from weed more so than empathogens occasionally.8o