• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Barbiturate withdrawal

mabzie55

Bluelighter
I know barbiturate withdrawal can be life threatening.

What I don't know is how long you have to use it daily to produce withdrawal symptoms when you stop?

How long to produce life threatening withdrawals?

As for dosage, anywhere between 50 and 200mg butalbital daily. I have had no withdrawal symptoms during the few days I take breaks.

Also I've read that benzos have cross tolerance with barbiturates, would benzos prevent seizure from barbiturate withdrawal?

Information would be appreciated as I definitely don't want lice threatening withdrawals, but have no idea about the timeframe.

I think butalbital is pretty weak among the barbs, and unless you're doing multiple doses per day you aren't neccesarily going to have crazy seizures when you withdraw.

Treat it like Xanax or some other reasonably short acting benzo.

Alright. Yeah I'm generally not doing large doses, I'm just curious (for obvious reasons) as to how long one would have to use daily before experiencing withdrawal.

Because I'd like to stop short of that and take a break, then do it, then break, etc do I don't withdrawal.

It's impossible to say. As it is with any other drug...

The rule of thumb with benzos is you shouldn't take them for more than 2 weeks of continuous usage (i.e. once a day or more). That probably extends to barbiturates, too.

Yeah, I know it's not an exact science-- just looking for a general rule of thumb.

Good question.
I would think the factors include length of consecutive use and times per day of the mg you are taking.
Doctors are not supposed to prescribe benzos to a patient over 3 weeks, as that's when the body definitely becomes dependent if taken daily (or even less).
Of course they do anyways.

I would not take any drug over 2 weeks straight without a break. I couldn't do that … but if you are able, it might prevent dependence.

Well I've been taking them regularly for about 2 months, usually about 5-6 times per week with a few 3-4 day breaks scattered in there.

No withdrawals from that so far, but lately I have been taking quite a bit more than before.

For all but the last 2 weeks it was about 50-100mg per day about 4 days/week, now it's more 100-200mg per day and every day.

I'm an opiate addict so I know how slippery of a slope it can be, which is why I'm trying to get a consensus.
I'm likely going to do two weeks on (5-7 times per week.) And then a week off, before starting up the next two weeks.

You guys think this would work?

Because I'd like to stop short of that and take a break, then do it, then break, etc do I don't withdrawal.

I'm likely going to do two weeks on (5-7 times per week.) And then a week off, before starting up the next two weeks.

You guys think this would work?

It's rather likely that each time you resume use after a break, your tolerance (and, therefore, your likelihood of experiencing withdrawal) will increase more quickly than before. So, the first time around, you might get away with using it daily for several weeks, but after a few of these cycles, a similar period of daily use might leave you in a more severe state of withdrawal.

You cannot stop barb withdrawl with benzos, remember that, though you may minimize the risk of seizures however!

This is one of the reasons why one can have a massive benzo tolerance and still die taking too much barbiturates alone even if they haven't taken their benzo dose.

Effects are best if taken once or twice a week, any more and the dose will need increasing to get the same sedation/hynotic effect. I initially found myself sleeping on 50mg-75mg at first, by the end of my supply I could handle 250mg-300mg without problems or worries.

As far as withdrawl I haven't experienced any symptoms other than maybe a bit psychological addiction, I say you can use 3-4 times a week or 7/7 if tolerence isn't an issue, for up to 2 months and a bit in my case and without any physical withdrawls. Benzos, weed or alcohol help with the psychological issues that can include irritability though nothing major like hallucinations or seizures.

My experience is mainly with amobarbital (can still get 25mg pharmaceutical pills from Eastern Europe) having brought back 250 pills @ 25mg each, Highest dose was 300mg & lowest was 25mg also tried snorting & plugging but found it worthless, snorting burned too much after the initial bump but felt 2x-3x as strong, could never get past half 25mg pill. Usual dose for me was 100mg-200mg

A bit experience with phenobarbital & benzobarbital (prodrug for phenobarbital at 70% conversion), both with similar results IMO the pehnobarbital is more sedating. From the same Eastern European country I got some 100mg phenobarbs and taking 2 pills 200mg with the alcohol consumed throughout the day gave for some scary nights when I would go to sleep at 11pm after watching tv smoking a bit of hash and drinking a few glasses of beer, and also having taken my less than normal benzo dose during the day, I wouldn't get up from my bed to piss or nothing until I would wake up which would be at 5-6pm, still tried having missed tons of calls. Next day/morning, after a beer or two and a sandwich waking up (a lot of alcohol this is Eastern Europe as I was doing it there quite a bit) with a hash/tobacco joint would potentiate the hell out of the beer & hash.

Butabital never had on its own only in Fiorinal (I believe) basically a mixture of codeine & butabital + tylenol or aspirin along with caffeine, I found it was better than codeine but couldn't put my finger on it didn't know what to look for except that I felt slightly 'drunk' in my thought process with the codeine.

Amobarbital also wasn't on its own but mixed with propanolol, ergot & atropine, this is to discourage injection but I can say and so can friends who've tried it that one can take up to 200mg easy without the antichlornigernic (sp?) effects manifesting since it's much lower affinity for the histamine receptors than gravol or benadryl which make you hallucinate much easier/more effectively at lower (much) doses. The ergot(amine) is to tighten the blood vessels and the propanolol is of course for blood pressure & anxiety. The recommended dose is 1-2 pills at a time and no more than 4 pills/day (100mg amobarbital) as they are given for relaxation & for sleep, my mom for example sleeps like a baby with 1 pill if she takes 2 (50mg) shes out like a light unable to get up for the washroom, etc.

I should have mixed barbs together, regret not mixing phenobarbital with amobarbital but there's plenty of time left ahead, they won't be going anywhere anytime soon and still haven't been replaced by the benzos which although are the most comonly prescribed, still haven't been able to fill the shoes of a nation still recovering from strong barb use, not long hexobarbital was common as was Doriden which I have MISSED out on esp. as I love my codeine.

p.s. Alcohol *strongly* potentiates the effects of barbs. I would drink 1 or 2 tall boys with my dose of 50mg-100mg amobarb and feel like I had 2x the amount, also unlike benzos your memory isn't affected. Phenobarbital can be very dangerous due to the long duration, I had a very uncomfortable 10+ hr plane ride and took 2mg clonazepam, 1.5mg xanax, 9mg bromazepam, 90mg codeine, 100mg phenobarbital and 2-3 beers (regular size). The stuardesses (sp?) said I didn't move at all, missing the meal & complimentary drink I was looking forward to :) waking up as the plane landed on the airport (prob due to people starting to speak) lucky to have had a stewardess (sp?) cover me up with a blanket as I slept for 9hrs+ straight in an uncomfortable airplane chair. The only downer I like as much as amobarbital is Soma though I haven't tried meprobamate I immagine its like codeine to morphine, codeine which is very quick acting, relatively stimulating and not too sedating even at high doses thus also hard to nod out on as opposed to morphine which is weaker (orally), much longer onset to peak almost double the onset of codeine, though much more sedating, not as stimulating both physically and mentally you can't let your immagination run too wild as you will be cought in a nod but VERY DIFFERENT from one another codeine vs morphine like soma v.s meprobamate (i assume).

Last edited:
Well I don't drink or smoke weed anymore so I'm good on that aspect.

I was prescribed benzos for years, but I no longer so them, although I do still have some so maybe that could help if I do experience withdrawal-- although I've never really found benzos to help me much with any type of withdrawal.

The ones I get are butalbital/APAP/caffeine, and I'm also on bupe so I mix with that which enhances the effects.
Like I said, don't drink, smoke pot, or so benzos so those are all out the window for potentiation. But the bupe does a good job of increasing effects. I also use diphenhydramine and lemon balm leaf extract and those seem to work well to potentiate.

As you may have guessed I'm an opiate addict hence the bupe, so I'll also not be mixing with full agonists.

So can you go into more detail about how bad the psychological withdrawal is?
And the physical if you've experienced it?

Also if you've ever experienced opiate withdrawal does it even come close to that hell?

And if for 2 months daily, as you said, what is the severity of the psychological symptoms?