• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Agomelatine (Valdoxan) & Other Atypical Antidepressants for depression?

Rybee

Bluelighter
Hi All,

My mood has been slipping lower and lower for some time now and as much as I've tried to reject it as an option, I think it's time to consider medication.

I currently take a small dose of Amitriptyline (50mg) for migraine prophylaxis and don't want to increase it any more as I don't really tolerate it very well.

I've taken Citalopram/Fluoxetine/Venlafaxine/Duloxetine in the past and I'm very sceptical as to the whole monoamine theory of depression so won't really consider taking TCAs/SSRIs/SNRIs unless there's significant evidence as to their efficacy - which leaves me with options of atypical antidepressants.

Agomelatine seems like a very encouraging alternative so I was hoping to hear from anyone who's tried it, or another type of atypical antidepressant?

Thanks in advance for any help x

Would be interested in hearing about Bupropion too?

Would be interested in hearing about Bupropion too?

Bupropion works well to boost my mood actually. It has a mood brightening effect in me for sure and unlike serotonin reuptake inhibitors or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors it tends to increase sex drive instead of killing it, acts as a sort of stimulant instead of causing sedation as it's a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, doesn't cause any withdrawal symptoms and is generally pretty mild with side effects and starts to work faster then most anti-depressants. I can notice the mood brightening effects after about a week when i hit the 300mg a day dose. I have also taken Wellbutrin along with 100mg's of so of amitriptyline and i would have to say that both together are great for depression though this carries a risk of seizure. Granted i am on Lamictal and clonazepam which are both anti-convulsants so i really don't have to worry about that. Trimipramine is another tricyclic anti-depressant that works fairly well and is great for sleep as well. It's a strong norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and a mild atypical anti-psychotic as it has anti-dopaminic properties so it's a weird one.

So yeah i would definitely recommend Wellbutrin as a first line anti-depressant. As for the other anti-depressant i have only known 1 person on a drug that was either this or 1 like it and have no experience in it at all.

Last edited: