Opiate withdrawal and NMDA antagonists - how effective are they in reality?

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
While there is theoretical discussion about this topic from time to time, as well as anecdotal reports ranging from glowing success to not working, but somehow it is not that widely known as it should be - given that it's really a way that works, at least for some.

I have some evidence to believe in NMDA antagonists as a solution for opiate dependency, since it worked for myself more than once. Although I never had a real solid opiate habit - if this is due to the dissociatives, a genetic variant, both, or none - I don't know, but would like to figure out.

The one time where I know it worked to some extent was when I have used AH-7921 (a research opioid with approximately 70% the potency of morphine, but this is disputable) for maybe 6-7 weeks daily, with maybe 150mg/d, in a desperate phase of life. When I missed the dose, slight classic withdrawal signs would appear soon, even with the AH having a very long half life of probably more than 20h. By upping the dose of my memantine I am also taking daily (off-label but effective as an emotion controlling kind of mood stabilizer) from 20mg to 60mg I could stop the AH without tapering down. No withdrawal, I rather felt energetic and the opioid numbness went off. In the next days, I went down to 40mg/d and then 20mg again ...

Other occasion was with butyr-fentanyl, here I don't have exact dosage or how much I have used in total, but might have been more than 100mg of b-F and after that some AH-7921 again. This time, with the memantine being on 30-40mg/d, I did not have any negatives from stopping at all.

Also I can confirm that the memantine keeps tolerance down quite powerfully. I don't know what would happen if I tried to reach a full-blown euphoric dose of an opioid repeatedly, which is something that seems not to work for me anyway, as I tend to get sedated and even hints of respiratory depression above a certain dose (with AH and oxymorphone, relatively), without ever getting that mind-blowing euphoria one thinks makes opioids that appealing.

--

But nevertheless, regarding how serious opiate dependency and withdrawal usually is, even for some people using opiates for pain management, I think this topic deserves more attention.

Could well be of course, that memantine is too weak for more serious addictions. But I've read successful reports of people quitting using some few doses of ketamine, for example (and I would have thought them to be exaggerated myself before). Also there seem to be some doctors who prescribe low dose dextromethorphan or memantine together with opioid for tolerance control.

In an effort to keep opiate and GABA receptor tolerance down, I have tried dozens of NMDA antagonists over the last few years. I have found that they have a modest but real effect.

40 mg of memantine (20 mg in the morning, followed by another 10 mg mid-day, and a final 10 in the mid-afternoon) is how I've scheduled it. I've tried higher doses, but it's sometimes hard to gauge. It can be too easy to fall into a disassociative state.

Some literature confirms our guarded optimism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11512037?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17406858?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg