• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MDPV neurotoxicity

Methylone and mephedrone have been cleared of causing neurotoxicity, but there appears to be less information regarding MDPV neurotoxicity at the moment. According to one study, MDPV like cocaine, is a DA/NE reuptake inhibitor--it prefers catecholamines--with little to no affinity for 5-HT, and it appears to be about 10x stronger by weight than cocaine at eliciting classic responses of cocaine in rodents. Based on this information, it may be safe to say that, while MDPV induced neurotoxicity has not been ruled out, there is no particular reason to suggest that recreational doses of MDPV, used occasionally, are neurotoxic.

I was under the impression that even MDMA neurotoxicity was up for debate. I assume that would leave Methylone and Mephedrone as two big question marks in that regard. With regards to MDPV it seems to have little effect on serotonin and it's mechanism as a DA reuptake inhibitor as opposed to a releaser would suggest it's not neurotoxic but there are no definitive studies I know of.

MDMA at 3 doses of 2.5mg/kg and 7.5mg/kg produced "persistent depletion of striatal and cortical 5-HT" that methylone and mephedrone did not.

Is very likely dosage dependent, with the low (usual, "sane") dosages comparable to e.g. methylphenidate ... think one has to dose really high on a pure NDRI to reach neurotoxicity, if any. Above some point there is a risk for seizures maybe.

How do you think the brain regulates and adapts to sustained high-dose NDRI exposure?

Methylone and mephedrone have been cleared of causing neurotoxicity, but there appears to be less information regarding MDPV neurotoxicity at the moment. According to one study, MDPV like cocaine, is a DA/NE reuptake inhibitor--it prefers catecholamines--with little to no affinity for 5-HT, and it appears to be about 10x stronger by weight than cocaine at eliciting classic responses of cocaine in rodents. Based on this information, it may be safe to say that, while MDPV induced neurotoxicity has not been ruled out, there is no particular reason to suggest that recreational doses of MDPV, used occasionally, are neurotoxic.

not quite.. how can you say it has been cleared of causing neurotoxicity.. it takes a lot of effort to clear something of being neurotoxic
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24892744
"Using repeated doses[of mephedrone] for 2 days in an elevated ambient temperature we evidenced a loss of frontal cortex dopaminergic and hippocampal serotoninergic neuronal markers that suggest injuries at nerve endings."

also:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23099177
"binge-like regimen of methylone or mephedrone (30 mg/kg, twice daily for 4 days) and, starting 2 weeks later, we performed behavioral tests of memory, anxiety and depression and measured brain levels of dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT), their metabolites and norepinephrine (NE).
[...]
Mephedrone reduced working memory performance in the T-maze spontaneous alternation task but did not affect neurotransmitter levels aside from a 22% decrease in striatal homovanillic acid (HVA) levels in mice. Methylone had little effect on behavior or neurotransmitter levels in mice but produced a widespread depletion of 5-HT and 5-HTT levels in rats."

yes elevated temp and less intake is safer, but doesn't qualify as non-neurotoxic to me

Last edited:
MDMA at 3 doses of 2.5mg/kg and 7.5mg/kg produced "persistent depletion of striatal and cortical 5-HT" that methylone and mephedrone did not.

in what kind of aminal? baboons (and afair also squirrel monkeys?) due to differences in metabolism exhibit much higher levels of the toxic hhma then humans in comparable doses (probably even higher than is possible in humans due to autoinhibition of CYP2D6)
also 5-ht depletion is to be expected with a potent tryptophan hydroxylase inhibitor. silver staining is negative for normal doses and positive for all kinds of neurons at >30mg/kg in rats.

golden1,

I didn't clear MDPV of neurotoxicity. I said that I had as of yet not found any evidence of its neurotoxicity. It wouldn't surprise me if it did cause some, though.

Black,

"in what kind of animal?" Rats, I think.

Hello jesus alias matt wrote to me:

a-PVP to me is what MDPV should have been. It carries far less side effects (especially if taken orally in 3-4 doses over a 24 hour day), doesn't have the nightmare comedown or anxiety, and as long as you keep the doses reasonable, and don't start snorting or smoking it, I'd bet a lot that it'd be just the drug you need for your issues.

so do you think its also neurotoxic?or completely different?

Thanks Anja from stockholm