• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine for Sleep

brink

Bluelighter
Apparently Remeron and Periactin both help with getting to sleep, however the former reduces REM sleep time, while the latter increases REM time.

Has anyone here taken both concurrently? I'm also interested in Periactin on its own merit.

I'm going to have Periactin prescribed to add to my low dose (7.5mg) nightly Remeron protocol.
Reasons for the Remeron are anxiety reduction, help with sleep, antihistamine properties / appetite increase.

Somewhat concerned about anticholinergic effects from Periactin. How are those? Memory has taken a hit from stress, isolation, and sporadic binge drinking. :\

Thank you for reading. :)

Mirtazapine is effective as an antidepressant anti anxiety med above 30mg, 7.5 is only sleep inducing.

^ Yes, that may be a fair summary for Remeron.

I should also note that Trazodone knocked me out but made me feel absolutely stupid the following day. Along with dry mouth, iirc. Not sure if due to anticholinergic effects. I believe to dosage was 100mg.

im not familiar with trazodone, only with mirtazapine, i take it as a sleep aid.
My ideal dosage is 22.5 mg, 5 to 7 hours sleep straight and thats a miracle for me, very happy with it.

when it comes to anxiety/depression, i do believe the mirtazapine may have a indirect effect, getting sleep may reduce anxiety and depression wich is often caused by sleep deprivation.
so in a way it could help, though it should be an assistance and no first solution.

Another great aspect of mirtazapine is that its not addictive and tolerance is almost non existing in the first couple of years in the most cases.
Its also not nearly as drowsy in the morning like benzodiapines.

Other non additive sleep meds are seroquel and antihistamines and seroquel, thought especially seroquel may cause drowsiness and other side effects.

Mirtazapine is notorious for causing weight gain. There are patients for whom weight gain is a plus, in other folks I'd be cautious about mirtazapine.

The antihistamine hydroxine is very sedative and doesn't have the anticholinergic problems that can come from diphenhydramine. Melatonin and the prescription melatonin agonist, Remeron, are sleep aids very unlikely to lead to misuse or abuse. Regarding sleep architecture, less REM or more REM, etc No drug is good to take everynight as they all alter sleep architecture. You might investigate non-pharmacological means of inducing sleep like reading an industrial safety manual or a text book on soil sedimentation rates.

The weight gain is more connected to a change in lifestyle rather than suspected slower metabolism.
You could get more feelings of hunger, but that could also be because of a decrease of the depression and anxiety.
Staying active and no overeating solves the problem. Its no issue for me at all.

Im also supporting non pharmacolical means of getting better sleep quality, allthough in some cases it is nessecary for recovery.
In my case, having obessive thoughts caused by ptsd, add and gad, it was impossible to go to sleep, after many weeks of barely any sleep at all i finally gave in and exepted sleep medication.
Adding to that, i take a walk prior to bedtime, and will start reducing the mirtazapine when stable enough when the time is right.

Great response! You seem to be very connected.
Obviously you know what your talking about.
Great post.

I think a lot of the weight gain experienced on Remeron is water retention, but that's just my inference from personal usage, as well as reading other accounts of people not eating more, or differently, and still putting on weight. If I stop the medicine, puffiness and weight drops fairly quickly. That said, appetite is greatly increased while on, of course.

Had not heard that before about Remeron being a melatonin receptor agonist. Agomelatine / Valdoxan surely is, but it's still fairly obscure and unavailable through prescription in the States, like Stablon / Tianeptine. Ago would be interesting to try, if not so expensive to mail order.

Hydroxyzine is interesting, all but the possibility of tardive dyskinesia from chronic usage. Thanks for bringing it up, MeaCulpa, as it may be a viable option to help wean off of this Mirtazapine, if that becomes a goal again. TMJ was through the roof after stopping the last couple of times, along with broken sleep!

Update:

My dog took 50mg hydroxyzine and gradually felt an onset of drowsiness and fogginess peaking up to 45 min or so after ingestion. This seemed to help with sleep on the first occasion..

I also took 50 mg of my dog's pills and didn't feel much of anything. Suggestions? ;)