• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Sight, Smell or Name?

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
If and when you have a selection of strains to choose from, how do you choose which strain to buy when purchasing your weed?

Do you follow your sight (how the bud looks), your smell (how the bud smells) or do you just buy the name that you like? Does one (sight, smell or name) influence you more than the other does?

Name is a big deal. Lemon Kush... I love lemons and it definitely smelled a bit like lemon dish soap. Loved the high.
I guess id say smell is #1.
Because I love girl scout cookies. It's my new favorite strain but the name is stupid. Still, love it. Name doesn't detour me.

How do I buy weed?

Sight (crack open a bud and see how crystaly it is), smell, taste, how a joint burns, BHO yeild, dryness, density, trim factor, bag appeal (what a oz looks like in ziplock). Brand names are good, but good weed is what is important.

but the best test is smoking a 1g joint and seeing how that feelz

cant buy weed on one factor alone, ive had great weed that smelled bad or not at all and terrible stuff that smells great.

Smell / Look. Coming from somewhere that cannabis isn't legal YET, I could care less what the strain name is. Good nugs are good nugs. You can put a fancy name on poop, but it's still poop.

However if I lived in somewhere that I could purchase cannabis legally, I'm sure strain name would come into play more.

If I could only choose one I'd say smell.

I whole damn G? Let me guess...you're young. Us old guys don't do that shit anymore :)

I whole damn G? Let me guess...you're young. Us old guys don't do that shit anymore :)

im in my late 20s. been smoke gram joints to test bud since I bought my first QP, and that was the standard I never changed. now I have retardo tolerance cause I do dabs for fun and vape all day playing vids.

its also a small amount compared to what a pickup. not like I buy quarters and test with 1/7th lol.

ah I miss the days of getting lit and playing vids. Good combo. Good times.

im in my late 20s. been smoke gram joints to test bud since I bought my first QP, and that was the standard I never changed. now I have retardo tolerance cause I do dabs for fun and vape all day playing vids.

its also a small amount compared to what a pickup. not like I buy quarters and test with 1/7th lol.

Didn't you post a couple shots of your stash a while back? I'm remembering like a dozen mason jars full of weed, tupperware containers with different strains, all types of excess going on in those shots.

May not've been you but oh my fucking god I remember thinking that there was like 3 years worth of weed in that stash if it were mine. It was like a god damn buried treasure, man.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

but the best test is smoking a 1g joint and seeing how that feelz
This is true, however I'm trying to get an idea for how people judge their weed prior to smoking it.

This question stemmed from a recent incident where I was given two strains. Both strains I was familiar with and had a preference based on not only the name, but the sight of the bud (better trim, nice trichs). I smelled both prior to looking at them and decided instantly that I liked the one that had a worse trim job and a worse name.

After smoking both of the strains, it was the strain that I had originally smelled (bad trim, bad name) that I liked better (better taste, better high).

It surprised me that my eyes and "knowledge" of the strains had failed me so much, compared to my nose.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

This is true, however I'm trying to get an idea for how people judge their weed prior to smoking it.

It's a complete package kind of deal. You've got to factor in all of the above and scale out the pros and cons.

Stick to any one qualitative measure and there's a good chance you'll get fooled. Great looking bud doesn't always smoke great. Shitty looking bud can smell amazing and put you on your ass.

Ya gotta keep an open mind.

The only strain name that literally excites me is Girl Scout Cookie. I've come to recognize it's smell and general look, though, so even with GSC, if a gram doesn't smell like a pound and have me feelin' an all cerebral, pressure-behind-the-eyes kind of high after a hit or two, I'm god damn positive I'm being scammed. Fuck a gram, when I bring home a quarter of that shit my car fucking reeks for days after the transport, and shit's only in the vehicle for maybe 20-25min max.

Smell again, but i have not bought weed in over two decades. =D

You can have weed that looks great, you can have amazing genetics..but, you can not fake the smell of amazingly cultivated weed that has been cured perfect.. curing is harder and more important then how you grow the plant.. TRUE.

Smell again, but i have not bought weed in over two decades. =D

You can have weed that looks great, you can have amazing genetics..but, you can not fake the smell of amazingly cultivated weed that has been cured perfect.. curing is harder and more important then how you grow the plant.. TRUE.

But at the same time, have you ever come across bud that has virtually no smell to it whatsoever and still looks and smokes decent?

It's happened to me a few times. Fucks with my head, too. It's hard to go wrong once you notice that pungent smell, I'm just saying that the absence of that smell doesn't necessarily mean the bud's of a low quality.

Before smoking?
Smell and visual appeal play a big part. How the buds feel also comes to mind; like how it feels to break one open, or how dense it is.
In my experience, thicker nuggets seem to be more potent.
Unlike some lucky people; I can't go to a dispensary and choose whatever I want, or sample several strains.. I have to do with whatever is floating around the streets :(
Mostly shwag stuff on this side of canada; back in bc it was alot easier to get good stuff. More people seemed to know what kind of strain they had as well.
Or at least they didn't run around saying they have "kush" that doesn't smell or taste like any kind of kush at all.

^ you living on the east coast? there have been some spectacular outdoor harvests in that area. it's really just a matter of finding passionate dealers with links to growers and avoiding the career dealer types or the kids just in it for the props

Mostly sight I'd say... Bud density and trichome formation tells you much more about strength/quality of the weed than the smell. I've had plenty of great weed that didn't smell particularly strong in the bag, but looked good and sure as fuck felt good. Good weed should proper stink when lit though! Name will be the last thing I take into consideration. If there are two bags that look equally good but one of them is a strain I know I've really enjoyed I'll go for that one, otherwise I'll pick the one I've not tried before :D.

Right on, everyone.

It's hard to go wrong once you notice that pungent smell, I'm just saying that the absence of that smell doesn't necessarily mean the bud's of a low quality.
How pungent the smell is is not very important to me. When I smell weed I smell the genetics, I smell the flavor, I smell how the bud was cured. I smell how the bud was stored. I smell how the bud was grown. I smell how the bud was cared for and loved. I'm looking for that certain, je ne sais quoi, when I smell pot.

How the buds feel also comes to mind
This is a good consideration too that I considered putting in the title, but decided not too for the simple idea that a lot of things that fall under physical "feeling" (how it feels in your hand) would fall under "sight", but I totally agree with you. It deserves it's own category.

Ideally of course, the bud has all three things nailed. Great smell, white and crystally appearance and a strain name you love!

Didn't you post a couple shots of your stash a while back? I'm remembering like a dozen mason jars full of weed, tupperware containers with different strains, all types of excess going on in those shots.

May not've been you but oh my fucking god I remember thinking that there was like 3 years worth of weed in that stash if it were mine. It was like a god damn buried treasure, man.

yeah. that was me lol

I have 5 types of BHO now, and about 12 types of weed saved up.

i was taking dabs, and some dude was like "wtf dont you have another crazy vape too?" "yeah" "dude you have all the coolest toys" "I have no GF, or kids, so my disposable income is huge lol cough cough"

How pungent the smell is is not very important to me. When I smell weed I smell the genetics, I smell the flavor, I smell how the bud was cured. I smell how the bud was stored. I smell how the bud was grown. I smell how the bud was cared for and loved. I'm looking for that certain, je ne sais quoi, when I smell pot.

Perfectly stated QFT