• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Questions about addiction

Pure joy

Greenlighter
I'm interested in how/when a person goes from just using to being addicted and needing a drug in order to prevent withdrawal. When you are in the addicted phase and "need" your doc to function, does it still make you high, or just allow you to function?
Also, I'm curious to know if anyone got hooked by an Rx their Dr wrote and was taking it exactly as prescribed, not looking to experiment.

Your talking about two different things. Recreational use and rx use. Two different ways of using. For recreational use, its different for everyone depending on how much you use when you go from not addicted to addicted. Varies with how much, how frequent, what drug etc but when it happens, you know.

The rx side your talking about is when someone gets physically dependant on a drug that they are using for a medical reason but they aren't using it to get high, which happens all the time. There are alot of people on medication that take it exactly as prescribed but if they were to stop they would go through horrible withdrawals. This can form into an addiction which happens alot too.

I used to get high, now i just need the opiate to function. Its not fun at all. To be honest, I would give my left leg to not be addicted anymore and to live the life i used to have before i was addicted. I could have a new car by now, and a new house. But all i have is a pocket full of pills.

Thanks for your reply. How frustrating addiction is! I'm trying really hard to understand what leads to it. Would you be willing to share your story? Did you know that you were becoming addicted and chose to ignore the warning signs? Or was it so gradual that you weren't aware of it?
If you were to take more opiate, would it give you a high now, or are you kind of immune? Does it feel good at all when you take your opiate to function? Or is it more like you have to have one in order to get going (like a coffee or cig in the morning) and then more to keep going?

As an opiate addict, I can say that when I needed a fix it did get me high but never like the old days when I was about 2 months into my addiction. After a couple years I just needed it...and it still gets me "high" but takes heavy doses and lasts about 15 mins and that's the morning, by noon I need a re-dose and that doesnt do shit but make me functional. I wish it was like alcohol. I wish it made me feel like shit when I do it but it doesn't. It still gets me high, but it is NEVER worth it anymore.

Tolerance is a bitch if your trying to get high.
But hey look on bright side, its what has enabled you not to die from using.

It depends on the person's individual physiology, the drug they are using, how much and how often. In some cases it might only take a few days of continuous usage to leave someone with withdrawal symptoms if they stop, in other cases someone might get away with weeks and weeks of using without noticing much when they stop. One phenomenon that I have noticed in myself and others is that the more times someone detoxes from an addiction and then goes back to using, the quicker they seem to pick up a physical dependance. Would be interested to hear if others have noticed this.

It's difficult to put a figure on things, but I think it's safe to say that with most substances, if you keep a continuous level of it in your body for five days or more then you're really playing with fire.

Personally I've still been able to get high when I've been addicted, but it can take massive amounts and usually I was just getting a really short rush from IV and the rest of the time I was just staying 'good'.

It depends on the person's individual physiology, the drug they are using, how much and how often. In some cases it might only take a few days of continuous usage to leave someone with withdrawal symptoms if they stop, in other cases someone might get away with weeks and weeks of using without noticing much when they stop. One phenomenon that I have noticed in myself and others is that the more times someone detoxes from an addiction and then goes back to using, the quicker they seem to pick up a physical dependance. Would be interested to hear if others have noticed this.

It's difficult to put a figure on things, but I think it's safe to say that with most substances, if you keep a continuous level of it in your body for five days or more then you're really playing with fire.

Personally I've still been able to get high when I've been addicted, but it can take massive amounts and usually I was just getting a really short rush from IV and the rest of the time I was just staying 'good'.

That's completely true. Detox, get clean, come back and you'll get addicted faster and faster the more you repeat .

It does seem to be true. Whether it's a physiological thing or purely psychological (in that you become more aware of withdrawal symptoms having been through them before) it's hard to say though.

My two cents: I never expected withdrawal to be hard, because "I'm different." Ha! So even when I wasn't expecting it, it was nasty. And this last time, the time that worked, I had medical support, so I thought that it would be a breeze. Again, ha! I don't believe that the physical symptoms of withdrawal are psychological. No amount of naivety, inexperience, positive thinking, or true belief protected me from jumpy limbs, chills, sweats, nausea, and diarrhea. Just my experience.

Addiction is a complex mental disease. It really is a disease, which some people are susceptible to and some aren't. In myself, I look back and realize I've always had an addictive personality; as a kid, I was addicted to video games, then other games, then an online text-based multiplayer role-playing game that I got insanely into, it was my other life, I played 8 hours a day if possible.. Then it turned to drugs, or rather, I turned to drugs, got really into them, and found myself addicted. However my drug addiction(s) have proven to be different from my other ones, in that drugs alter your brain chemistry and to use them habitually causes long-lasting changes away from homeostasis which alters your life and your entire perception very dramatically, which makes drug addiction much worse. I'll share my story since you asked, the parts relevant to this question anyway.

I've struggled with mental addiction to drugs/mind altering in general, and also a full-blown long-lasting physical addiction to opiates that was nearly life-destroying. When I was 17, I started smoking weed and drinking. The alcohol was never a problem for me; I mean, I was reckless with it, but I just did it when I was partying, I never felt I needed to do it or felt compelled to do it every day. But the weed, I did that every day from the beginning. At first it was innocent... I had great experiences and when I was doing something else for a day I wouldn't smoke. Soon though I found myself thinking about it a lot, and I started smoking constantly, trying to stay high all day every day. I'd bring it on family vacations where I was hiding it and no one else was doing it with me. I'd do it to go to school, I'd do it to go to bed, I'd do it to wake up. Then in college I started using psychedelics, infrequently. I tried more and more drugs, ephedrine, speed, cocaine, minor opiates, I even tried heroin once. I did MDMA a good dozen times. I still didn't think I had any sort of problem, but in reality, I was altering myself as often as I could, because I felt like life was more fun with drugs. I had become addicted to the experience of altering myself in some way (this is known as poly-drug addiction). It didn't matter what it was. I smoked weed all the time but it was mainly because it was the most available, and all my friends did it just as much as me and I lived with 4 of the biggest potheads I know, with 4 more upstairs. If I didn't have weed I was fine if I had something else, but if I had nothing I thought relentlessly about how to get something. There was no physical withdrawal at all, just a behavioral modification of drug seeking and being obsessed with drugs in my mind.

After college I started doing psychedelics VERY often, up to 4 days out of every week or more. Most of the time it was low doses for a minor alteration to my day, but I also tripped hard plenty of times. So by this point I had the following arsenal of types of drugs I was picking and choosing from daily to alter myself, including: weed, alcohol, psychedelics, dissociatives, and stimulants of all kinds, and also opiates (but I will describe that below because it was my physical addiction and my worst problem by far). I still struggle with this sometimes, many years later, though I have gotten it pretty much under control (usually). I still use drugs including weed, alcohol and psychedelics but far from every day, and fortunately I am done with opiates. It was hard for me to recognize I was addicted because of self-rationalizations, and the fact that it wasn't really having a negative impact (or enough of one for me to notice) on my life. When I stopped behaving this way it didn't take long to feel fine without them, mostly it was the craving to alter myself that was difficult for me.

Now opiates, on the other hand, became a physical addiction, and that was a whole different and more destructive thing. I started using kratom (an opioid plant that is quite powerful if you have no opiate tolerance or prior periods of abuse) when I was 20/21. I absolutely loved it, it was just another drug to get high on but one of my favorite. I started using it every other day, then pretty quickly every day. At the time it was virtually unknown in most of the world and I had no idea it was addictive, the place selling it was touting it as a non-addictive replacement for opiates, and I loved the feeling much more than other opiates I had tried. Soon, kratom became my favorite drug by far, it outshone weed even, and I was a dedicated pothead then. I did it every day or even twice a day for months, and loved every minute of it. This was my honeymoon period. It felt so good and benign, I had absolutely no clue that I had become physically addicted because I was on it daily, I never took a break from it. No part of my mind felt alarm at what I was doing, I felt I had found a miracle plant.

Then one day my next shipment didn't arrive. I was disappointed, but I just thought it would come the next day, so I smoked weed and waited til then. I woke up the next morning feeling the most ungodly anxiety and a feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. It seemed to crawl with a restless energy, and I felt weak and helpless. It scared me so bad, I didn't know what it was but I felt so horrible and I couldn't motivate myself to do anything. I was in college then and I skipped my classes that day and just curled up in the fetal position on my bed. At some point, I realized I was thinking obsessively about getting that shipment later that day (I skipped classes so I wouldn't miss it as well as because I felt so out of sorts), and then I realized: I was physically addicted to this plant. I still didn't think of myself as an "addict" though, even though anyone looking in at my situation would have realized it. It took me years to get to the point of acceptance of my addiction, addiction messes with your mind so much. There is an incredible amount of rationalizing to yourself. It's the addict part of your brain trying to maintain the addiction by convincing you it's okay. That's the most difficult part of addiction, is that you can't trust your own thoughts and feelings. People usually don't realize they're addicted until they're a ways into it, which is why it's so dangerous.

Anyway, the shipment never came that day. Frantic at this point, I checked the tracking number and it had been sent to the opposite end of the country. Over the next few days, it kept getting sent all over the place, it made no sense, especially since the place it was shipping from was literally 50 miles away from where I lived, it usually arrived the next day. I was so frustrated and in such terrible discomfort. Every day the mail truck would come by I'd run up to them with my stomach fluttering and with wild eyes I'd ask if I had a package. Finally, on the 5th day, it came. That morning I had woken up and felt 100% better and happy finally, but as soon as it came I wanted to feel that wonderful feeling again so I tore open the package and made myself a fat dose. I still didn't think I was an addict. "I'll use it more responsibly this time, I'm not addicted anymore so I can do this" I said to myself. That didn't happen, I immediately used it daily or twice daily again, just as I had been, but even slightly more often. I had a number of more cycles like this, withdrawal when I didn't get my next shipment, and increased use when I got it again, and after about a year and a half I admitted to myself I had a problem. But, I still rationalized it to myself, saying "I'm young and I'm enjoying myself, I'll quit before it becomes a REAL problem". I kept on like this for 6 or 7 years. Gradually it got worse, it affected my mood more. I became crushingly depressed over time because I felt like a slave and was increasingly disappointed in myself all the time. Around year 5 I realized it had become a "REAL" problem and I started trying to reduce. I made many attempts to quit, all unsuccessful. I was scared at this point, scared of my own brain, but I still thought of myself as a successful person, just with a monkey on my back.

At about year 7, I decided I would use poppy seed tea (basically oral opium, containing morphine, codeine, etc) a few times to get past kratom withdrawals, and quit for good. My wife at the time helped me through this, and also stopped doing kratom herself (she never became addicted to it and was fine without it and would take breaks regularly with no issue - until then we used together so there were no secrets). But I liked poppy tea even better, and thus began the saddest chapter of my addiction. I began doing poppy seeds every other day, then every day. I loved the highs and had a honeymoon period with that too. But before long I was much worse off than before, addicted to a much stronger opiate, and a full opiate. My life spiralled down and down. I began to lie to my wife all the time because she no longer supported my use. I stole from grocery stores to get poppy seeds. I almost got caught up doing that a few times but just moved to a different source each time (I am a likable guy so even when I did get caught they just made me pay for it and banned me from the store rather than calling the police). I rationalized this all to myself and didn't see it like I would see it now, as a seriously risky and uncharacteristic act. It was all to support the opiate habit. Over the next 3 years I ground my relationship into the dust, destroyed my self-respect, and eventually, in late 2013, literally wanted to die because things had gotten so bad. I went $40k into debt over these years because my opiates of choice were available legitimately so I could use credit cards, and in fact could not afford it without credit. It wasn't just the circumstances, it was also that my reward systems and neurochemistry were so blasted from 10 years of opiates. It felt impossible to be happy, even when I was on opiates I was sad and angry at myself and felt self-loathing, but at least it was masked then and I felt physically good. When I didn't have them, the withdrawals were soul-crushing, absolutely horrible. I just couldn't quit, I temporarily did so many times, then I'd relapse, hide it from my wife, she'd start to trust me again, then she'd find out and it would drive another nail in... she'd help me quit again with a bit more resentment, repeat process ad nauseum.

In mid 2013 she left me, but we still lived together for about 8 months (which was very painful, confusing and horrible). In early 2014 she moved back with her mom, and I realized that the relationship was actually causing me a lot of pain and had been all along and I was masking that with opiates. But I was still badly addicted. Finally this April I took a flood dose of ibogaine, having tried everything else, and like a miracle it worked. It seemed to dig the opiate addiction right out, I can honestly say I haven't had a single craving since and, of course, have never used them since. That was 6 months ago. If I hadn't gone through with the ibogaine, I don't know where I'd be, maybe I could have done it on my own but the ibogaine provided a huge help to me for that. So that's my story of opiate addiction, I hope it has been revealing to you in some of the thought processes that go into physical addictions. Addiction is mostly mental, but when something is physically addictive it actually changes your brain so the mental part becomes so much worse. Even the physical symptoms are because your brain is unable to reach homeostasis without the drug, so a variety of physical responses manifest as those parts of your brain scream out for the it.

Holy crap that was long... 8o

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing your amazing story! It has really helped me understand the addict side of things. It sounds like ibogaine is a miracle drug. I'll have to look it up, I've never heard of it.
I'm so glad you were able to overcome your addiction. I can tell by your post that you are intelligent. I wish you success in your "new" life. Do you think at anytime that anyone, or anything would have prevented you from going down the slippery slope?

I don't think so. Like many future addicts, I thought the warnings did not apply to me, that I was better than that, that I would never be so stupid as to allow myself to get addicted. Most addicts rationalize in the same kinds of ways. I would say that if you find yourself using an addictive drug regularly, especially if that regularity becomes more and more often, you should realize that this drug is not for you and just stop using it, because you almost surely WILL end up addicted.

And yes, ibogaine is a miracle for addiction, especially opiate addiction. It allows you to get past withdrawal and at least for me, I never experienced PAWS at all afterwards. Of course, gradually that glow will fade and then it's once again up to you to maintain your healthy state. If I had still had my other main source of pain in life, my bad relationship, I might have relapsed because I was using opiates to cover that. And if I hadn't started taking care of myself and pursuing other, healthy things to fill my life with meaning, I would be having a harder time. But ibogaine provided me an invaluable period of time during which I was able to view these things objectively and make changes, and once I made those changes and realized how much better my life was, I had no problem keeping them up. But if you, say, used opiates to mask the pain you were feeling from some unresolved trauma, and after ibogaine you fail to resolve that trauma through therapy, or whatever, you would definitely be in danger of eventually slipping back. It's not magic, but it's the closest thing to magic I have experienced. :)

Amazing post Xorkoth thanks for typing that out. I'm curious if you ever "grew out" of the everyday weed smoking? I've quit the harder stuff after 15 years of abuse that ruined every aspect of my life but I'm still having a hard time giving up smoking. I justify it with "at least it isn't XXX" but it is defnitely a problem for me all on its own. I haven't gone 100 total days without smoking since the 90s...

Not really/sort of, well when I was bad on opiates weed made me anxious so I didn't smoke it much. Whenever I have it, I smoke it at least once every day, at night, sometimes more. Much less than I used to... I have no desire at all to be high all day every day, haven't for a few years (I'm 31). I made the decision not to buy my own after ibogaine, so I can't smoke it every day, and I like it that way, I rarely miss it when I don't have it, but if I do have it I will end up smoking it. I buy a little every so often when I know a lot will be smoked and I don't want to be a mooch, or if I'm going on vacation, etc.

Staying away from the opiates: oxycodone, methadone, oxymorphone, poppy pods, hydrocodone, propoxyphene, pentazocine, levorphanol, loperamide, and/or heroin will get rid of 90% of your potential addiction troubles, because for one thing you won't have to worry about physical addiction--just psychological addiction. Also, opiates are by far the most likely thing to overdose and die from. That being said, addiction to smoking freebase cocaine is instant with the first hit in many cases, and people start smoking weed everyday all the time and don't ever quit. It's like they say, "It's not a problem as long as you have more." Psychological addiction to anything is a bitch to handle and is also generally very expensive. Psychedelics, on the other hand, are not addictive at all, except in very rare psychological cases.

Addiction is a complex mental disease. It really is a disease, which some people are susceptible to and some aren't. In myself, I look back and realize I've always had an addictive personality; as a kid, I was addicted to video games, then other games, then an online text-based multiplayer role-playing game that I got insanely into, it was my other life, I played 8 hours a day if possible.. Then it turned to drugs, or rather, I turned to drugs, got really into them, and found myself addicted. However my drug addiction(s) have proven to be different from my other ones, in that drugs alter your brain chemistry and to use them habitually causes long-lasting changes away from homeostasis which alters your life and your entire perception very dramatically, which makes drug addiction much worse. I'll share my story since you asked, the parts relevant to this question anyway.

I've struggled with mental addiction to drugs/mind altering in general, and also a full-blown long-lasting physical addiction to opiates that was nearly life-destroying. When I was 17, I started smoking weed and drinking. The alcohol was never a problem for me; I mean, I was reckless with it, but I just did it when I was partying, I never felt I needed to do it or felt compelled to do it every day. But the weed, I did that every day from the beginning. At first it was innocent... I had great experiences and when I was doing something else for a day I wouldn't smoke. Soon though I found myself thinking about it a lot, and I started smoking constantly, trying to stay high all day every day. I'd bring it on family vacations where I was hiding it and no one else was doing it with me. I'd do it to go to school, I'd do it to go to bed, I'd do it to wake up. Then in college I started using psychedelics, infrequently. I tried more and more drugs, ephedrine, speed, cocaine, minor opiates, I even tried heroin once. I did MDMA a good dozen times. I still didn't think I had any sort of problem, but in reality, I was altering myself as often as I could, because I felt like life was more fun with drugs. I had become addicted to the experience of altering myself in some way (this is known as poly-drug addiction). It didn't matter what it was. I smoked weed all the time but it was mainly because it was the most available, and all my friends did it just as much as me and I lived with 4 of the biggest potheads I know, with 4 more upstairs. If I didn't have weed I was fine if I had something else, but if I had nothing I thought relentlessly about how to get something. There was no physical withdrawal at all, just a behavioral modification of drug seeking and being obsessed with drugs in my mind.

After college I started doing psychedelics VERY often, up to 4 days out of every week or more. Most of the time it was low doses for a minor alteration to my day, but I also tripped hard plenty of times. So by this point I had the following arsenal of types of drugs I was picking and choosing from daily to alter myself, including: weed, alcohol, psychedelics, dissociatives, and stimulants of all kinds, and also opiates (but I will describe that below because it was my physical addiction and my worst problem by far). I still struggle with this sometimes, many years later, though I have gotten it pretty much under control (usually). I still use drugs including weed, alcohol and psychedelics but far from every day, and fortunately I am done with opiates. It was hard for me to recognize I was addicted because of self-rationalizations, and the fact that it wasn't really having a negative impact (or enough of one for me to notice) on my life. When I stopped behaving this way it didn't take long to feel fine without them, mostly it was the craving to alter myself that was difficult for me.

Now opiates, on the other hand, became a physical addiction, and that was a whole different and more destructive thing. I started using kratom (an opioid plant that is quite powerful if you have no opiate tolerance or prior periods of abuse) when I was 20/21. I absolutely loved it, it was just another drug to get high on but one of my favorite. I started using it every other day, then pretty quickly every day. At the time it was virtually unknown in most of the world and I had no idea it was addictive, the place selling it was touting it as a non-addictive replacement for opiates, and I loved the feeling much more than other opiates I had tried. Soon, kratom became my favorite drug by far, it outshone weed even, and I was a dedicated pothead then. I did it every day or even twice a day for months, and loved every minute of it. This was my honeymoon period. It felt so good and benign, I had absolutely no clue that I had become physically addicted because I was on it daily, I never took a break from it. No part of my mind felt alarm at what I was doing, I felt I had found a miracle plant.

Then one day my next shipment didn't arrive. I was disappointed, but I just thought it would come the next day, so I smoked weed and waited til then. I woke up the next morning feeling the most ungodly anxiety and a feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. It seemed to crawl with a restless energy, and I felt weak and helpless. It scared me so bad, I didn't know what it was but I felt so horrible and I couldn't motivate myself to do anything. I was in college then and I skipped my classes that day and just curled up in the fetal position on my bed. At some point, I realized I was thinking obsessively about getting that shipment later that day (I skipped classes so I wouldn't miss it as well as because I felt so out of sorts), and then I realized: I was physically addicted to this plant. I still didn't think of myself as an "addict" though, even though anyone looking in at my situation would have realized it. It took me years to get to the point of acceptance of my addiction, addiction messes with your mind so much. There is an incredible amount of rationalizing to yourself. It's the addict part of your brain trying to maintain the addiction by convincing you it's okay. That's the most difficult part of addiction, is that you can't trust your own thoughts and feelings. People usually don't realize they're addicted until they're a ways into it, which is why it's so dangerous.

Anyway, the shipment never came that day. Frantic at this point, I checked the tracking number and it had been sent to the opposite end of the country. Over the next few days, it kept getting sent all over the place, it made no sense, especially since the place it was shipping from was literally 50 miles away from where I lived, it usually arrived the next day. I was so frustrated and in such terrible discomfort. Every day the mail truck would come by I'd run up to them with my stomach fluttering and with wild eyes I'd ask if I had a package. Finally, on the 5th day, it came. That morning I had woken up and felt 100% better and happy finally, but as soon as it came I wanted to feel that wonderful feeling again so I tore open the package and made myself a fat dose. I still didn't think I was an addict. "I'll use it more responsibly this time, I'm not addicted anymore so I can do this" I said to myself. That didn't happen, I immediately used it daily or twice daily again, just as I had been, but even slightly more often. I had a number of more cycles like this, withdrawal when I didn't get my next shipment, and increased use when I got it again, and after about a year and a half I admitted to myself I had a problem. But, I still rationalized it to myself, saying "I'm young and I'm enjoying myself, I'll quit before it becomes a REAL problem". I kept on like this for 6 or 7 years. Gradually it got worse, it affected my mood more. I became crushingly depressed over time because I felt like a slave and was increasingly disappointed in myself all the time. Around year 5 I realized it had become a "REAL" problem and I started trying to reduce. I made many attempts to quit, all unsuccessful. I was scared at this point, scared of my own brain, but I still thought of myself as a successful person, just with a monkey on my back.

At about year 7, I decided I would use poppy seed tea (basically oral opium, containing morphine, codeine, etc) a few times to get past kratom withdrawals, and quit for good. My wife at the time helped me through this, and also stopped doing kratom herself (she never became addicted to it and was fine without it and would take breaks regularly with no issue - until then we used together so there were no secrets). But I liked poppy tea even better, and thus began the saddest chapter of my addiction. I began doing poppy seeds every other day, then every day. I loved the highs and had a honeymoon period with that too. But before long I was much worse off than before, addicted to a much stronger opiate, and a full opiate. My life spiralled down and down. I began to lie to my wife all the time because she no longer supported my use. I stole from grocery stores to get poppy seeds. I almost got caught up doing that a few times but just moved to a different source each time (I am a likable guy so even when I did get caught they just made me pay for it and banned me from the store rather than calling the police). I rationalized this all to myself and didn't see it like I would see it now, as a seriously risky and uncharacteristic act. It was all to support the opiate habit. Over the next 3 years I ground my relationship into the dust, destroyed my self-respect, and eventually, in late 2013, literally wanted to die because things had gotten so bad. I went $40k into debt over these years because my opiates of choice were available legitimately so I could use credit cards, and in fact could not afford it without credit. It wasn't just the circumstances, it was also that my reward systems and neurochemistry were so blasted from 10 years of opiates. It felt impossible to be happy, even when I was on opiates I was sad and angry at myself and felt self-loathing, but at least it was masked then and I felt physically good. When I didn't have them, the withdrawals were soul-crushing, absolutely horrible. I just couldn't quit, I temporarily did so many times, then I'd relapse, hide it from my wife, she'd start to trust me again, then she'd find out and it would drive another nail in... she'd help me quit again with a bit more resentment, repeat process ad nauseum.

In mid 2013 she left me, but we still lived together for about 8 months (which was very painful, confusing and horrible). In early 2014 she moved back with her mom, and I realized that the relationship was actually causing me a lot of pain and had been all along and I was masking that with opiates. But I was still badly addicted. Finally this April I took a flood dose of ibogaine, having tried everything else, and like a miracle it worked. It seemed to dig the opiate addiction right out, I can honestly say I haven't had a single craving since and, of course, have never used them since. That was 6 months ago. If I hadn't gone through with the ibogaine, I don't know where I'd be, maybe I could have done it on my own but the ibogaine provided a huge help to me for that. So that's my story of opiate addiction, I hope it has been revealing to you in some of the thought processes that go into physical addictions. Addiction is mostly mental, but when something is physically addictive it actually changes your brain so the mental part becomes so much worse. Even the physical symptoms are because your brain is unable to reach homeostasis without the drug, so a variety of physical responses manifest as those parts of your brain scream out for the it.

Holy crap that was long... 8o

This is so similar to my story! Although I started out with poppy seed tea. My wife at the time divorced me. Then, I started with poppy pod tea. Was addicted to that for six years, went into serious credit card debt because I got it online. Eventually my girlfriend I was living with kicked me out. I've been on suboxone now for three years, currently tapering. If this doesn't work, I may go the ibogaine route.

Ibogaine is incredible but also a huge commitment. It didn't feel remotely dangerous to me but I used pure HCl plus TA extract which means I got the full alkaloid profile... the stimulating, unpleasant, physically dangerous reports seem to all come from people taking only pure HCl for their entire dose. For me it wasn't stimulating at all other than once I came out of it I had an amazing amount of awesome energy, but it didn't feel stimulating, it felt more like I was just super ALIVE. If you decide to go through with it someday feel free to PM me, it helps to have a guide/mentor through the preparations for the experience. I had one and it was invaluable. I feel that given my experience and success with it it's my duty to provide that service for others.

Loperamide? Isn't that for diarrhea? You can get addicted to that?

Yeah it's for diarrhea, but that's because it's an opioid so it has the constipation side effect (very strongly in loperamide's case), which counteracts diarrhea. It's debatable whether it crosses the blood brain barrier. If I take enough of it, I get some form of opiate high, not a good one though, nothing I'd ever want to use recreationally. It feels kind of heavy and strange. But, it works well for masking a lot of withdrawal symptoms. You can, however, get addicted to it. So it's a bit of a risk to use it for that but I have successfully used it for a few days to get past the wort of withdrawal. I would have to use 40mg or more though (20 of the 2mg pills) for that relief to happen. Which doesn't feel good for you. If you can avoid using it I would, but it was a godsend for me on numerous occasions when I was suffering so bad I was going to relapse. I never managed to get permanently off opiate with it though, but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't.