• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Rapid Xanax Taper

maddawg300

Bluelighter
SWIM Has been taking 2-4 2mg xanax bars for the past two weeks. He took 3mg this morning with little to no effect 3mg in the afternoon nothing. SWIM wants out, its not worth it anymore SWIM has probably maxed out on 10mg in a night with drinking and is nothing to be proud of. SWIM wants a to get off of these pills as fast as possible. Saying that on average 6mg SWIM took the past 2 weeks could SWIM quit cold turkey? Or could should SWIM just taper .5-1mg off a day and be okay? Swim doesn't wan't any seizures but if SWIM feels like shit that thats just life.

Last edited:
You haven't been taking them very long but your dose is on the higher side. You could probably CT but would be best off just doing 0.5-1mg less everday starting with 5 or 5.5mg tomorrow.

I'm no expert on benzos but someone else will chime in I'm sure.

Even though its only a short time and not a massive dosage but climb if you don't stop....it's not an ultra low dose either. I've done three benzo detoxes. First one, less than a months use and similar dosage to you.. Cold turkey...nightmare but after two weeks I was fine, the brain zaps and vertigo and way increased anxiety and all sense.

Second time - a year or so use of high doses plus milk opiates. The first two weeks in hospital were ok but once I got home and the last of the benzo left my system I ws bedridden for three weeks with every unbearable symptom under the sun.

Third time - currently been weaning for over a year - dose was a bit over 200mg valium and or 14mg of Xanax, and or a lot of lorazepam. Plus opiates but that's a different story. On subbies now.

I recommend tapering down if you have the willpower (I never did and my taper is supervised by dr and chemist and I cant purchase nationwide.) If you can do a short taper with what you have left you should be pretty much fine :) Good luck and great decision. Benzos are the devil.

I would say your seizure risk is quite low but not out of the question. Tapering as long as it's quick and final will be your best bet. Lowering the amount per day would be fine, just don't be tempted again! Can you get your dr to go on daily pickup so you are not tempted?? Or are they not purchased through a doc? Benzos (like most other drugs) are sneaky, when you have on you instantly want more so just be careful to stick to it and let us know how you are doing.

GOOD LUCK

You can CT it.

2weeks at that dosage probably won't cause any w/d to speak of.

decided to cold turkey, 24hours benzo free feeling fine although SWIM did have 8 beers last night which may have had some effect but SWIM really think its not going to be as bad as SWIM thought because SWIM was in a paranoid loop. Really appreciate the advice.

Alcohol works on the same receptors so you need to give that a rest too to repair your brain . It's still possible you'll get some symptoms but hopefully not too bad. As I said, I did get some pretty awful symptoms after going cold turkey the first time after short term use so it's definitely not out of the question but hopefully you will be fine. Best of luck.

Op: I've been doing a lot of benzos for a long time and actually I'm currently Rxd your dose of 8mg/day.I am epileptic and prone to Grand-Mal seizures.Without health insurance I used to go for long periods of having to procure my Xanax on the street.During periods of use longer than two weeks straight I have been abruptly stopped for one reason or another and never had a seizure due to cessation of benzos.I'm not saying it's outside the realm of possibility,just that I think you should be fine.If you drink,a couple of cocktails in the evenings can help steady your nerves but at two weeks the withdraws should not really be an issue.At least IME.Good luck.

that taper plan is WAY too fast. never rapid taper xanax... Take 30 days minimum.

So I was 4 days cold turkey, no problems at all really. Then relapsed with 4mg Ativan. What could I expect to see from that relapse, I don't plan on continuing to take benzos after this.

Yeah seizure risk is quite low but I've had withdrawals from low doses of Valium taken over a few weeks. I've been tapering off 300mg of Valium for a year now after doing a hellish fast two week detox in hospital, never again. But I've just relapsed big time and am taking 20mg or so of Xanax a day on top of my 32mg of suboxone and I'm scared for when it runs out, I knkw I'm not capable of tapering myself. My Valium taper is done under strict supervision and dosed with my suboxone and I was down to 20mg of Valium a day, now jumping up to 20mg of Xanax again I feel scared as I've never been through such hell as benzo withdrawal. I can't tell my dr though as he will put me on an even tighter and more strict schedule.

Try and stay away (pot calling the kettle black). Benzo withdrawals are the pits. If you end up taking them for longer you're better going onto a longer acting benzo like Valium or clonazepam and doing a super slow taper. Your length of use so far shouldn't be too bad asobg as you stop now. Good luck. Benzos are the devil to me and I'm a walking zombie at tr moment on 20 plus mg of Xanax, 32mg of suboxone and my psych drugs :(((