• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

(tds) methadone/recovery success stories

methamaniac

Bluelighter
OK, here is reason for thread. I have been detoxing off methadone cold turkey for nearly 40 days now. I have scoured the net for success stories and they are few and far between. They are there just not in great numbers. I would love to hear of others with a little recovery time give there stories. I know we are alll different but it would be nice to see similarities which I know exist. I see most say they feel better/ start recovering around 30- 60-90 day marks feeling better respectively. Me, for sure feel better but still feeling rough. Would love to know when will end as others I'm sure would too. I know cannot pin it down to day or week and maybe not even month but a list of symltoms at 30-60-90 day mark or even beyond will help those going thru this pick out where they may be. If nothing else the stories help for strength.thx, in advance for post.

I did a cold turkey (think I had some benzos and maybe a handful of dhc but very little really) from 19mg of methadone (and i wasn't stable on that dose it was at the end of a number of months of tapering from 80mg) while back. I got through the acute phase of the detox but it didn't lead to any significant period of clean time. It was at least a month before I was approaching anything I would consider 'normal' feeling. The constant going to bed hoping to feel better in the morning, and then not being any better, was very demoralising. The daily increments of improvement were so small as to be almost unnoticeable. However I found that when I cast my mind back a week or ten days and then asked myself whether I was in a better place than I was then the answer was always yes and I took a lot of encouragement from that.

You're definitely around the mark where things should be starting to change. Your personal input in to the process will start making a lot of difference from here as well, keeping yourself well fed with nutritious foods (and for most people I would say just eat as much as possible of whatever your body is letting you eat is a good thing) and forcing yourself out of the house to get some exercise even if it's just a walk around the block each day will help change things for the better.

You're certainly through the worst of the physical side at day 40. Iirc I was still experiencing considerable fatigue at this point but things were really turning.

40 days though, there's something to be proud of.%)

Cat can definitely tell you have been there. You read the horror stories from methadone and think there are exaggerations but sadly ive found most are not. Going to bed with the hope of tomorrow seeing a change and sometimes waking up feeling worse I'm sure turns a lot of folks back to using. They dont tell you about the withdrawl process at the clinics.I honestly think they are just Ignorant to it. I doubt people who do make it go back to clinic to report.
Any who I am pleased to say last three days I have felt much better. Three week point to six week point not much change till now. I might ( scared to say) be turning a corner.
You hit nail on head about nutrition and exercise, I totally agree.
I know 40 days of MD withrawl is big for me,
I guess like all of us I just want to be normal.
I'm on right track tho, not thinking about using.
I dint get here quick so I I guess I ain't getting out quick either. Slow and steady wins the race I'm told.

I jumped off 150 mgpd methadone, 260 mgpd oxy, and 6 mgpd xan.. that was over two years ago and I haven't even glanced back. I was in acutes for almost two months and had significant paws fom them till around month five when the opiate receptors were finally retracted.

Just keep going it most certainly gets better I promise.

I jumped off 150 mgpd methadone, 260 mgpd oxy, and 6 mgpd xan

Jesus, that's brave!

I would certainly advocate trying to get out of the mindset of hoping things will be better tomorrow, that one can really get you down. If you don't expect you can't be disappointed, of course that's easier said than done. Try and focus on the progress you have made and use that as inspiration for putting in more effort to make more progress.

Thanks guys,

"I jumped off 150 mgpd methadone, 260 mgpd oxy, and 6 mgpd xan"

Ouch, got my respect too!
I jumped at 75 mili and was eating all the benzos I could get hands on for months. Quit thise and cigs CT too. Cigs was easy as breathing and smells made me want to puke.
I also went on H for a month, just postponing methadone withdrawls. I thought the combo was what was making withdrawal so bad, having withdrew from others before knew methadone was common denominator.
I was on methadone for a year then back to pills and back to methadone for 2 and half more years. Hadn't had enough yet. By dam i have now.

Last edited: