• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Effects of Nasal Decongestants on INTRANASAL abosrption of drugs...

Treefa

Bluelighter
TLDR at bottom..
So, long story short, my nose is very stopped up from snorting all weekend...it almost got to the point where my Oxymetazoline fix became more important than my Oxymorphone fix!:\

In general, i'm not a major snorter, really only when I have particular drugs that are absorbed signifigantly better intranasally, i.e Opana, Dilaudid, Bupe, etc..as I type this I have a 2mg peice of film under my tounge, using the alcoholic preparation, which I must say, gives SL admin of bupe, probably anything really, a desired extra umph..
I would have snorted it, but my nose is so backed up, and I've been using so many decongestants that i'm not sure much was getting absorbed when I did..snorted about 2mg earlier with very little effect, tolerance? Maybe? Decongestant-induced vasoconstriction leading to nil absorption?
Well isn't that a thought??8(

However, I know probably 90%+ of BL'ers either love their snorting, or do it as necessity to stay well, but I digress.
TLDR, skip here

SO WHAT I'm trying to say, is;

Does the use of decongestants, either Intranasal sprays(Afrin), or oral preparations(Pseudoephedrine, pheneleprhrine...) affect how well substances can be absorbed thru the NASAL MUCOUSA?
I have a theory that as a result of using decongenstants, most all of which work through VASOCONSTRICTION of the nasal mucous membranes, the absorbtion of powdered drugs thru the nasal mucous membranes is decresed or botched altogether.

I have not been able to find much information on this topic, but it seems like something that should be known about, at least in the medical community, and especially so in the narcotic sniffer's community...

I know there's some brilliant minds lurking around this place, so, I beg of you, shine a (blue) light on the Sinuses of narcotic snorters across the globe!=D
Who knows maybe it will save somebody some money, some time, or maybe even a life!

very interesting question, i would believe it if they did lower absorption, but to be sure get sekio in here... he'll somehow know allllllllll the shit about it ahahahaha

I've thought about this in the past too so I could see how its a concern considering decongestants are vasoconstrictors. This is staring to be studied more in the medical field due the fact doctors are seeing the benefits in intranasal delivery of potent drugs that undergo extensive first pass metabolism. When we say a drug has extensive first pass metabolism it means the drug (for example buprenorphine and hydromorhone) gets absorbed too efficiently by the liver when taken orally therefore not much of the substance reaches the brain. This can result in a very low bioavailability when taking the drug orally therefore making intranasal delivery or Intravenous infusion a more viable option for the route of administration of the drug at hand.

The Short answer is using a decongestant to treat Rhinitis does not significantly alter the absorption of intranasal drugs.

In a recent study the concerns of treating rhinitis before intranasal delivery of a substance (hydromorphone was used in the study) were put to the test to see just how much of a difference a decongestant makes on intranasal drugs. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the pharmacokinetics of intranasal hydromorphone (HCl) in patients with vasomotor rhinitis.

Ten patients completed the randomised study. During the treatment periods, a single dose of hydromorphone HCl 2.0mg was given to each patient. Blood samples were collected serially from 0 to 16 hours.
The results show the average bioavailability of intranasal hydromorphone was 54.4% with a pretreatment for Rhinitis and 59.8% without pretreatment. Therefore Pretreatment of rhinitis did not significantly affect the rate or extent of absorption of hydromorphone in this study. There was not a significant difference in bioavailability between treated and untreated rhinitis.

To help boost bioavailability you can make smallest lines and snort them spread out a little more instead of big lines up the nose at once. Also Use a razor blade to chop it up into a very fine powder before snorting. Just remember if its not dripping down your throat more than usual then its not wasting any it may take a little longer to be fully absorbed through the membranes but its not going anywhere just let it dissolve in your nasal cavity.

You can also use a neti pot on a daily basis of your going to be snorting drugs or have rhinitis. Use it before snorting your drugs and/or make it a routine every morning to cleanse your sinuses. Its the greatest invention for people who snort their drugs plus its not a decongestant its simply a device that runs PH balanced sterile salt water through one nostril then out the other nostril resulting in a steady stream of salt water running through your nostril's. Don't put homemade table salt and water solutions up your nose that are not PH balanced, they just burn your nose and can make things worse along with the fact its not sterile. You can buy a neti pot for 20 bucks at any pharmacy it looks like a funny shaped teapot. You will be glad you did my friend, anyone who snorts drugs needs a neti pot:D

Last edited:
I'm really interested in this. I recently went months of snorting oxymorphone (generic ER and IR) or oxycodone every day for 4-5 times a day. This soon leads to my sinuses getting clogged, in addition to other issues. Those would include tears/cuts all inside of my nose and on the outer rim of it, as well as a red irritated area at my upper lip (I still have no idea why it caused this). While this was going on, I would need to use Afrin multiple times throughout the day, just so I could breath. I tried all kinds of stuff to help, including daily rinses with a netti pot, Aquaphor and antibacterial gel applied multiple times a day, but they seemed to help very little. It's been 6 days now since I've snorted anything, and thankfully everything has cleared up now. Opana is awesome insufflated, but for me at least it also brings along all of these other negative side effects with it. Other people that do it at the same frequency as me don't have near as many problems, so I think I just have really sensitive sinuses.

There have been multiple occasions where I was completely clogged, so I would use Afrin, and then snort my Opana within 10 minutes or so afterwards. It still seemed to work just as well, so I personally never noticed that Afrin had a big impact on my dose.

Last edited:
In theory it should decrease absorption. Smaller blood vessels due to vassoconstriction leads to less surface area leads to less absorption .... In theory at least :)

I suppose the more surface area means more is absorbed through the mucus membranes - but if your nose is already all jacked up I wouldn't recommend shoving other stuff up there just to get a better kick; friend of mine got sinusitis from abusing his old shnozz-cumber in a similar manner - let it heal, til then I guess just swallow 'em.

Hope it all clears up for ya :)

I used to know people who sniffed their heroin and if they were dope sick and had all the runny nose and ton of snot thing dope sickness brings some of them would clear their sinuses with nasal spray just so they could get their dope up there.None of them seemed to get reduced effects from doing that and I never heard anyone complain about it so if it does make s difference it would seem to be negligable.

I suppose the more surface area means more is absorbed through the mucus membranes - but if your nose is already all jacked up I wouldn't recommend shoving other stuff up there just to get a better kick; friend of mine got sinusitis from abusing his old shnozz-cumber in a similar manner - let it heal, til then I guess just swallow 'em.

Hope it all clears up for ya :)

Unfortunately swallowing them isn't an option with oxymorphone if you're looking to get high, and have a tolerance. Actually forget getting high, it won't even get me well.