• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Has anyone had success using pot to help with heroin w/d?

fizzymk

Bluelighter
Im at the point where I cant get anymore money to keep feeding my dope addiction, but I could afford a bag of pot, I do have a pot connection, but havent used it for many years, A few yrs back when going thru methadone w/ds once, I tried smoking a J, I cant really recall if it helped or not, but I do remember it made me VERY paranoid, I kept hiding the bag in different spots in the house, cuz for some reason, I was overly worried about the cops searching my house..LOL even though I had never even had any interaction with cops, and absolutely NO reason to be so worried, strange how certain drugs can effect you!!

I know pot relieves aches and pains, but I dont think it relieves them as much as heroin, plus, I dont know if it takes w/ds away or not.

Anyone know about this?

It won't take away much pain but for some it takes the edge off and helps them sleep. Its not I'm any way a miracle drug though you would need pretty potent cannabis extracts to take away any significant portion of your withdrawal symptoms. It's worth a try I always moked it when in withdrawal and it did help me it was all I had but still k was miserable and my body was still begging me for heroin.

Last edited:
Only time will get you through w/d but if smoking nugs helps, SMOKE IT. Thats a hell of a lot better than popping a fock ton of benzos, clonidine and soma .

If you have a choice get a heavy indica that will help the most. I've used weed as a detox tool many times and it deff helps with stomach/bowel issues and a wee bit with rls. I find sativas don't help nearly as much, actually made my rls worse. Weed helps better if you have a low tolly. hash is even better if you can get a hold of some. If you can find some benzos you should feel about 50% better. That combination has let me sleep even after a cold turkey gram a day IV ecp habit. Wish you best of luck man.

Is it possible to get a hold of any bupe or clonidine? maybe go to the doc or emergency room and explain your situation and get some clonidine and lyrica to take edge off

It always helps me a little bit. Until the high wears off. Then I just feel drained, sluggish and dopesick.

Hell, even the finest flowers and extracts barely took away from the physical pain caused by even kratom withdrawal. It's no cure, but some would argue it takes the edge off. Personally it's a symptom trade off, increse in anxiety and restlessness, but at the same time easing some of the physical pain slightly by providing a distraction. It may also prove to be an effective anti-emetic so you can keep food down as well I guess, however I've never had GI side-effects from kratom withdrawal so I wouldn't know.

Hell, even the finest flowers and extracts barely took away from the physical pain caused by even kratom withdrawal. It's no cure, but some would argue it takes the edge off. Personally it's a symptom trade off, increse in anxiety and restlessness, but at the same time easing some of the physical pain slightly by providing a distraction. It may also prove to be an effective anti-emetic so you can keep food down as well I guess, however I've never had GI side-effects from kratom withdrawal so I wouldn't know.
do you mind saying if it was indica or sativa. Like I mentioned earlier sativas for me don't really help wd's but strong indicas on the other hand really help me out. I'd go as far to say that smoking a strong indica makes me feel about 25% better and with a benzo and lope im at about 50% and can even catch some sleep even after a gram a day habit. I do have to say a sativa will make me feel more restless, if I cant get a hold of a strong indica or an indica dom hybrid I wont even smoke in wd.

I almost forgot to mention edibles, I personally have never tried them in wd but my buddy told me he was able to get a full nights sleep coming off a bun a day habit. Said the strain was hash plant and he recommends edibles to anyone detoxing. I'll deff be trying it when im done with my sub taper

Of course not :). As far as flowers go I pretty much exclusively smoke top shelf indica, but have also aquired street sativa from friends on times I didn't feel like heading to the dispensary (not fun in withdrawal)... no significant difference IME, though indica is definately better to some degree. Opioid withdrawal makes me anxious as hell and cannabis just seems to amplifiy it most of the time. Now throw in a benzo and you've got quality remedy.

Edibles can be fantastic, but I only go this route if I have a benzo at hand just in case it backfires and sets off more panic, which does tend to happen sometimes. I find I get more physical relief from edibles, and the first and second high of the day actually relieves the restlessness, though after that not so much and even a slight amplification to some degree (likely due to the spike in anxiety). Of course this is just my experience others may have a different outcome.

Last edited:
It will help a little but a benzo would be better.

I don't find it particularly useful for dealing with acute withdrawals; there are far better things and plenty of threads dedicated to them.

However - I used to be a heavy pot smoker as a teen / young adult and then gave it up for the best part of the last decade. However, I've recently started smoking again, as a means to stay off the dope.. Like I say, I don't think it's going to help much with WDs, however - it's a big help (for me) in terms of staying clean..

When I start getting the psychological urge to use now, I just smoke a small joint and it takes my mind off - plus, at this stage with the pot it still has a great enough effect on me that the last thing I want to be doing is leaving my house to go on a shitty mission to score.

So, I would recommend smoking a bit of pot whenever you are really craving the gear, it's been working for me.

^ I agree 100% with the above comment. there have been many times when i really really wanted to use dope, but i just smoked some pot instead. it was weird the pot just made me think like "what the fuck am i doing with my life by using heroin". i havent smoked pot in over a year and and dont plan on ever using it again because for me the use of ANY mind altering substance, in time, leads me back to heroin. but pot does help with cravings...

as for withdrawals, pot did absolutely nothing for me. maybe if u smoked a massive amount it mite help, but when i tried it during w/ds it actualy made the rls WORSE

As already said, withdrawals don't do anything to relieve the hell of withdrawal. Back when I was using only kratom and or hydrocodone, it may have helped a little bit more than placebo, but for both oxy and heroin withdrawal, I believe pot actually makes the WD worse. Coming off dope, I get terrible terrible anxiety, which pot always makes worse no matter the strain. It also makes me get down on myself, as i get caught in my head thinking about the WD and the wasted parts of my life. It doesn't really help with analgesia, or really anything. The most it will do is get your mind wandering, so you may forget about WD for a few minutes... til the diarrea and restless legs kick in again.

As others have said though, pot is great for staying off the hard stuff. Ive been using only kratom and pot as of late. Whenever I get a strong craving to go cold cop some dope (which is usually once a day), i'll smoke a j, and for some reason it scratches the itch. Pot does indeed modulate your MU, Kappa, and Delta opioid receptors, so I believe this may have something to do with why it scratches the itch.

As already said, withdrawals don't do anything to relieve the hell of withdrawal.

Huh??? That doesn't make much sense.

Pot does help a lot of people keep off hard drugs but it can be useful in heroin withdrawal not everyone is the same as you and gets bad anxiety from smoking it. Back in the 80s pot was used to help get heroin addicts off the stuff and help them get through the withdrawal symptoms.

Cannabis doesn't act directly on the opiate receptors per say but Cannabis receptors are being discovered to have a close relationship with opiate receptors. There is still much to learn but the two have been described as being "friends with benefits".

Last edited:
It could but depends. I went through Heroin withdrawal almost 2 months ago and thought about using some with my old medical mj card, but for me… pot always made me more paranoid, in a way… especially coupled with anxiety of withdrawal I passed on using it. I guess it depends on the kind you get.

BTW, 2nd day of withdrawal I was packing a suitcase with no plans, cleaning my room, hiding my things. I was completely out of my mind, in psychotic like delirium.. I thought I was going to die and was trying to clean up in case I did, lol. So that's why I didn't get pot. I then got clonidine and took seizure meds.

I thought weed would be a bigger help than what you guys have been saying, but everyone's body is different. I can see where your coming from with the anxiety and paranoia. I used to freak out sometimes until I learned to control my breathing and tell myself im just high and it will end and that nobody has ever died from taking a few bong rips. after I sober up I realize how silly it was to get all freaked out

I personally can't stand it, meaning it doesn't do shit for me. If not making things worse. Some people like it. I wouldn't spend all your cash though. Maybe just try it and see then go from there

I find it to work extremely well for that situation.

if you find weed to normally be enjoyable you will enjoy it when withdrawing.

if you dont find weed to normally be enjoyable you will not enjoy it when withdrawing.

NSFW:
A7Hga5YzULnYWmvMeOeEv5sXzeWY7-yETgDIQa63yd0eBOHIy0tjkjZltaikaYECtuCKgYImyGvOzFKm5CaU85VWTA9gxUA4vx9afWJzgnHDAHapY1P7DztmIH9NQx5ZQiyancw=w512-h511-nc

I would stay away from it.

Won't make it better, might make it worse.

W/D's are something you can't run from. The more you try, the worse it gets.

Pot isn't nearly as euphoric as opiates, but it's great for the symptoms of withdrawal (nausea, diarrhea, pain, etc). Combined with Imodium and OTC painkillers, it can be a lifesaver for withdrawals. If you get paranoid, just smoke less.

Huh??? That doesn't make much sense.

Pot does help a lot of people keep off hard drugs but it can be useful in heroin withdrawal not everyone is the same as you and gets bad anxiety from smoking it. Back in the 80s pot was used to help get heroin addicts off the stuff and help them get through the withdrawal symptoms.

Cannabis doesn't act directly on the opiate receptors per say but Cannabis receptors are being discovered to have a close relationship with opiate receptors. There is still much to learn but the two have been described as being "friends with benefits".

How exactly would you say pot helps you then? For me, it may minorly help my stomach issues, but it doesn't do anything to take away the pain, shivering, watery eyes, yawning, sneezing, depression, etc. The only thing I think it's good for in WD is combining with immodium to help stop the constant shitting and puking. I actually think it makes the restless legs worse, which is the worst symptom of WD in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure cannabis does directly affect opiate receptors too. The wikipedia page for MU Agonist, and Delta Agonists have both THC, and CBD listed as full agonists.