• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Antihistamines as potentiators? (No hate please)

Nederlander

Greenlighter
I've found that an antihistamine can often potentiate codeine, benzos or alcohol for me. I know that they do not cross the blood brain barrier, however one has nodded off 50mg codeine with 1 certrizine tablet. I am quite skinny but normally that much codeine would only give me an itch without paracetamol. It is also worth noting that a couple of glasses of wine or a pint will feel 2 or 3 times stronger after a certrizine. I have heard that there was an antihistamine that could actually cause excessive cns depression resulting in death when combined with grapefruit juice, which also is a strong potentiator of opiates. Maybe there is a related receptor activity? I wouldn't consider myself very knowledgeable about neurochemistry but it is speculation on my part. Also worth noting is that 100 mg diphenhydramine combined with 3mg etizolam seemed to increase the effects of both drugs, resulting in a pleasant body feeling, euphoria, visual 'warping' and auditory hallucinations.

(NOTE: I know that etizolam isn't a benzo, however as far as i am aware the method of action is the same.)

Thanks in advance for sharing any knowledge.

I have read a lot about how antihistamines can potentiate opiates. In real life I have never been able to tell a lot of difference. I have only used benadryl and hydroxizine and it actually made me sleepy and I would end up sleeping through the high if there was one! Though I guess I did try promethazine and it definitely put me out. The best thing I have found to potentiate opiates is lyrica.

Yup I agree with edgewise. People rave about Benny and hydroxyzine but I've not noticed any difference. Never tried lyrica .

The only thing the makes a difference for me is an empty belly and or waiting a few days between dosing

I like to use about 75 mg of benedryl plugged with Hydrocodone and to me, it seems to help intensify effect, without too much sleepiness. I have used doxylamine but it makes me too sedated, while benedryl makes my mind fuzzy but leaves my body awake, if that makes any sense.

I can't use Diphenhydramine to sleep, it makes me restless, but combined with Hydrocodone it's perfect.

This is no silly question. I have Promethazine it is used to knock psychiatric patients out together with a benzo and it shure as hell works, very efficient. I am told it can be very recreational too. :)

I still have them saved for an occasion, but would like to know what to expect regarding dosing strategy.
Does anybody know how much Promethazine potentiates benzos / opiates?

For a benzo I could safely use a low standard dose, but I might get some O-dt, as it is also often nicely combined with codeine etc so if anybody knows how much it will potentiate something like that it is appreciated.

Last edited:
I normally use Diphenhydramine, or Doxylamine. I find Doxylamine is stronger but has a more "tired" effect to it.

Promethazine is best of all if you can get it.

Absolutely yes they do nederlander. As to how or why they potentiate opiates or opioids is probably a debate for another thread but IMO the best one of the lot is cyclizine. Google diconal and take a look at others experience of this opioid/antihistamine combo. The effect is sublime and diconal is my number 1 drug of choice if i can get it. Certrazine in the uk i think contains a non sedative antihistamine so it must be different in holland . I have tried promethazine but found it make me feel strange plus its actually a phenothiazine type drug. Its available otc here in uk without a prescription under brand name sominex. A first timers Dose would be around 40-60mg for sominex or 75-100mg for valoid aka cyclizine. The medical or theraputic dose of cyclizine would be between 25mg and 60mg per dose. %)

Last edited: