• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

From junkie to workaholic

Get2Think

Bluelighter
Just curious if any of you in recovery took yourselves from addicted, broke, unemployed, and unmotivated to:

stable, sober/maintenance, plenty of money, and a life full of love/sex.

I would love to hear some from rags to riches stories bluelight. What is your success story? Would you share it with a down and out addict who spends most of his day sleeping, crying, and fearing creditors and bills I can't pay.

**EDIT

I say workaholic because its gonna take a workaholic to get me out of the financial mess opiates have put me in.

I will say that often times if channeled correctly, an addicts "obsessive" nature can be quite a benefit. Its all about finding something you enjoy. I love my job, but I don't get paid much. Still, its nice to enjoy what you are doing and be committed. If I was using, I could have my dream job and would still be more concerned with using.

BUT.....

As addict we also have to watch that this obsessiveness doesn't end up causing us too much harm. I constantly have to talk myself out of going to the gym too often, going into work on my off days, talking to that girl all day instead of focusing on work, playing that video game all day, buying 200+ dollars worth of clothes, going out for an expensive meal... again etc etc etc.

So, the whole plenty of money and a life full of love and banging people can be a trap as well. Its about balance. Easier said then done of course.

Using for me is just a symptom of my obsessive compulsive thinking.

Now, I will say things get better when we are clean. I cannot tell you what to do about your bills. I do know that Gamblers Anonymous has this whole process they go through when people start there in order to take care of creditors. Maybe check that out? Also, I am sure the government has resources for this stuff.

Just curious if any of you in recovery took yourselves from addicted, broke, unemployed, and unmotivated to:

stable, sober/maintenance, plenty of money, and a life full of love/sex.

I would love to hear some from rags to riches stories bluelight. What is your success story? Would you share it with a down and out addict who spends most of his day sleeping, crying, and fearing creditors and bills I can't pay.

**EDIT

I say workaholic because its gonna take a workaholic to get me out of the financial mess opiates have put me in.

Absolutely. My drugs of choice catered to pure hedonism, and my substance abuse didn't lend itself to productivity.

I am by no means a rags to riches story, but I'm (mostly) on top of my bills, (mostly) responsibly self-employed as a handyman, am a social icon (well-liked and generally influential person in my wide circles), and most importantly, I'm raising my kids right. Tell you what--I'm not financial guru, but depending on how bad you are in debt, and your age, etc (if you have a mortgage, car loans and stuff) once you've satisfied yourself that you are on top of your addiction filing bankruptcy can get you to square one so you can do things right from a level playing field again. Good luck and more power to you, Get2Think!