Writing-up Seeking participants in Melbourne: Study on experiences of living with a drug habit

NDRI researcher

Greenlighter
Update (07/11/2014): Thank you to all those who volunteered to participate in this study. Your stories and experiences will inform the development of an innovative website for people interested in lived experiences of regular drug use. We’ve now reached our recruitment target for this phase of the study and are no longer recruiting. We will be recruiting in Sydney, regional NSW and regional Victoria next year. I'll also be posting updates on the study, including findings, as they become available so if you’re interested, watch this space. Until then, many thanks again for your interest in and support of the study.

Hi there,

I'm a research associate at Curtin University's National Drug Research Institute. I'm involved with a research project that explores people’s experiences of living with a drug habit, dependence or addiction, how they cope and how they make decisions about drug use, drug treatment and everyday life. Importantly, the project aims to get a range of experiences, including those that exceed the commonly told stories of crisis and recovery. We’re keen to complicate ideas of addiction and to also feature stories of people who are coping and whose drug use is part of rich lives.

We’re currently seeking:
  • Young people (18-29) in Melbourne from diverse ethnic backgrounds whose primary drug is stimulants (e.g. speed, ice, cocaine) or cannabis and who are working/studying

Participation involves a one-hour confidential interview in a location of the participant’s choice in Melbourne. The focus of the interview will be on living with and managing a drug habit/dependence/addiction, help-seeking, treatment experiences, and feelings about the future. Participants will receive $50 reimbursement for their time.

The information we gather will be used to develop an informative website for people experiencing issues with alcohol and other drugs, their friends and family, and health professionals and policy makers. This part of the study runs from October to December 2014 or until we have reached our target of twenty participants. The study has been approved by the Curtin University Human Research Ethics Committee.

Anyone who is interested in participating or would like more information can contact me directly at [email protected] or on 03 9079 2204.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Best wishes,
Kiran Pienaar

National Drug Research Institute - Melbourne office
Curtin University

Last edited:
If you are in Melbourne and meet these criteria, I would highly recommend this study, as the researchers are attempting to demonstrate the diversity of experiences people have with drugs, instead of repeating the more dominant stereotypes. :)

Thank you to all those who volunteered to participate in this study. Your stories and experiences will inform the development of an innovative website for people interested in lived experiences of regular drug use. We’ve now reached our recruitment target for this phase of the study and are no longer recruiting. We will be recruiting in Sydney, regional NSW and regional Victoria next year. I'll also be posting updates on the study, including findings, as they become available so if you’re interested, watch this space. Until then, many thanks again for your interest in and support of the study.