A question about/for DJs

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
What exactly do they do on stage? And that's not even meant to be condescending because I like a lot of the big names in trance like say Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, etc. But what are they doing up there? I see them tweak things here and there, listen to their headphones, clap their hands and get the audience worked up, but what exactly are they doing technically? I hear a lot of people saying now a lot just press play but some do more than others? Anyways keep in mind I know pretty much nothing about being a DJ.

Also, what's the listen to the headphones on one side thing all about? lol

What exactly do they do on stage?

Well, its as much a crowd presence now. Beatmatching took a large amount of time. Now its more about layering tracks or playing that self-produced track that no one has heard.

And that's not even meant to be condescending because I like a lot of the big names in trance like say Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, etc. But what are they doing up there? I see them tweak things here and there, listen to their headphones, clap their hands and get the audience worked up, but what exactly are they doing technically? I hear a lot of people saying now a lot just press play but some do more than others? Anyways keep in mind I know pretty much nothing about being a DJ.

Depends, running the booth. Track selection. A lot of stuff now is more sample based so you can trigger samples or even do rudimentary live production stuff. Paul Van Dyk has a pretty large setup, Ableton and a bunch of other stuff. Tiesto, AvB are probably not doing a whole lot in terms of fancy tricks. Probably a lot of just cueing up for the next track. But they've got labels and big producers, so someone can just send them a remix or an edit overnight or something so the setlist can change at the drop of a hat. I think for a large part Tiesto and AvB are pros at track selection and working a crowd. They are probably at the top of the game of having their team sort thru releases and choosing the best ones and plugging their own label's stuff. There's not this huge expectation of being a great technical DJ. Which I think comes from a European disco background where people might not have a DJ at all, its just this prerecorded pop music that people dance to in a club. Hell, in some Top 40 clubs there's no transition and just a quick cut to the next track. The women dancing don't care.

Also, what's the listen to the headphones on one side thing all about?

Cueing. You can split cue so you don't really need to do this. But you cue with the next track in ear, and the live track that's being played, so you can listen to the mix and make adjustment as you do the mix. That's how traditonal beatmatching is done. Listen to two sources and match tempo.

DJing has wide spectrum of different styles. And has resulted in a lot of geekery and nerdrage over subjective taste of who is a better DJ. If you can pack them into the club and make the locals buy drinks who gives a fuck how you spin records?

Last edited:
They should be beatmatching, eqing, and putting the odd effect in there. Nowadays they're probably hitting sync and mashing the fuck out of a high pass filter

They should be beatmatching, eqing, and putting the odd effect in there. Nowadays they're probably hitting sync and mashing the fuck out of a high pass filter

yeah, but that's the real djs.

nowadays with all the software, the people who actually play "live"sets are also often called djs (and are represented in the top 100 in dj mag as djs). in there for example are astrix or deadmau5, who arrange a set of their own music in the studio and then simply press play on stage, while dancing or acting as if they manipulated the music (this is not necessarily because they want to deceive the people but simply because they have nothing to do and the crowd expects them to look busy from time to time). you'll sometimes see such artists turning the knobs on equipment that's not even plugged in if you look closely.

nowadays with all the software, the people who actually play "live"sets are also often called djs (and are represented in the top 100 in dj mag as djs). in there for example are astrix or deadmau5, who arrange a set of their own music in the studio and then simply press play on stage, while dancing or acting as if they manipulated the music (this is not necessarily because they want to deceive the people but simply because they have nothing to do and the crowd expects them to look busy from time to time). you'll sometimes see such artists turning the knobs on equipment that's not even plugged in if you look closely.
I don't believe most of them simply press play.
Sure they may create a set before hand but many DJ's I have seen from back stage still mix live, they just have their cues memorized from practice or have a notebook with their cues written down in.
It can make for some pretty complex and intricate sets using 4 CDJ's that simply wouldn't be possible using traditional DJ'ing methods.
Not to mention using live FX and looping to make it so they aren't just layering tracks and samples.

It really depends on the setup; so's they don't f-up.
Beatmatching or scratching used to be the intro into the next track. It's still pretty much the same; except they have drop out filters to kill the bass on the former track into the latter. This is because there are phase problems when mixing two kick drums to the point they will cancel each other out.
These are the basics. Then DJ's should know the pitch of each record, the bpm (beats per minute) and also the breakdown.
Sasha and the likes use Ableton; with some sample pads to add interest. Serato final scratch or NI Traktor will spin mp3's to some degree, but vinyl is the key to being authentic.
Check out the new BBC click on iplayer to see Pioneer's new setup.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for all DJs, because there are so many ways to do it nowadays, but here is how I am DJing:

First things first, I am DJing in a very classic sense, in that I only use turntables, a DJ mixer and vinyl records. soemtimes I throw in a little bit of effects, but very selectively.

Before I head to a gig, I spend an afternoon preparing the selection for the night. I listen to music, evaluate the mood I am in today, practice a little bit and think about my expectations about the party (location, sound, crowd...). With this in mind, I select 50 - 80 records I put into my recordbag, depending on how long I can/have to play.

I try to always take a diverse selction with me, so I can react more to the setting. I also try to bring lots of different energies to change the mood if needed (or wished for). So in my record bag, you'll usually find a selection of house (mostly chicago related), (dub) techno, electronica/idm and sometimes even new wave/80s. I try to put music into context so I'll blend tracks from the past 30 years. recently, I've been buying lots of tracks from the 90s and early 00s. But this follows no strict pattern, if music is good, I'll play it, no matter if it's from 1993 or 2013.

Arriving at the location, I try to sense the ambience, the mood of the people (this is all very subconcious, and not analytical) and when it is my turn to play, I usually try to combine a smooth transition from the last set while still brining in a new start. I often slow down things at first, because it makes it easier to build your own set and influence the vibe of the party, and then I will gradually work on bringing things to higher energies.

I think while DJing, it is most important to have something to tell... when I hear a DJ playing the same style in the same tempo and energy for two hours without any variance whatsoever, I want to leave the party, because it just gets boring. For me, DJing is a way to express my feelings by putting the music of others into context (between tracks but also between me and those who listen).

This was a view on my emotional connection on the act of DJing (something which is often overlooked, because many people view DJs just as a human jukebox rather than a legitimate artist (well many DJs actually are, so I can totally see where that comes from)). now I will talk a litlle bit about the technical side of it.

As I've said, I DJ in a very traditional way, turntables, vinyl, nothing fancy. the act of mixing is explained very easily, you basically have Turntable A & B, a mixer M and Headphones to preview the tracks you will be playing.

With the mixer, you can set the volume of each track/turntable/device individually, as well as having an equalizer for each channel. For example, I can put the turntable settings to 100% volume for Turntable A and 50% volume for turntable B, so you will hear track A more loud while track B stays in the background

With the equalizer, you can manipulate the frequency spectrum of each track. For example, if you cut off the low frequency of track A, you won't hear the Bassdrum and bassline of that track anymore (or much less loud, depending on the type of EQ).

With the crossfader (which I hardly use) you can swap between A <--> B, when the crossfader is in the middle, both tracks have the same volume. The volume for each channel can be (usually) adjusted with line faders, which are vertically aligned.

Well my general mixing procedere is along the following: I have track A playing on the PA, heard by the audience. channel B is mute. I put a new record I want to bring in onto turntable B. I put channel be into the cue channel, which is connected with the headphones I am using. So I can listen to track B without the audience hearing the new track yet. I then beatmatch track B to track A, by adjusting the tempo, and dropping the new record in time with the groove of track A.
Sometimes it is easy to beatmatch, sometimes it is a lot of work, depending on the music I am working with.
To adjust the tempo, I use the pitch control of the turntables (+/- 8%), and I will also use my fingers, punctually speed up or slow down the record, if needed.

If i feel that the tempo is adjusted well enough and that the tracks actually fit each other, I will cue again at the right moment and then start to bring track B in, by turning up the volume using the line faders. I use the equalizer to emphasize certain sounds of the next track, while hiding others. Then step by step, I bring in more of track B and, subsequently start to fade out track A, until track B is the only one audible to the audience.

Then I'll pick the next track out of my record bag and repeat.

How a mix plays out really depends on the tracks you are combining. Sometimes, I make smooth, very long (2min+) transistions, sometimes the mix works better, if it is done in 30 seconds, sometimes it is best, to just cut at the very right moment (this is the hardest I think, it is not so hard, to mix two similar, grooving techno tracks for a long time, but finding the right moment to cut is very advanced in my opinion).

Sometimes I also cut in certain elements of track B. for example, I will sometimes cut in the snare drum of the next track by using the line fader as a rhythmical tool.

Well learning the techniques of DJing and finding your style takes quite some time, but I really believe that the DJ has to have an emotional connection to the music and the will to share something with the people he is playing for and that makes all the difference between a regular and a talented DJ (in my opinion).

well this became quite a long post, but I hope that you can take something out of it. DJing is very important to me and I feel that it is not very well understood, even by people who attend parties with dance music often..

greets :)

Thanks to Bagseed for a very informative post.
I have questions myself though. Cue'ing is very different depending on the format, vinyl, mp3 or CD. The pickup for the next track on vinyl will lag for just under a second before it hit's the proper tempo of the previous track; assuming you've beatmatched and just wanna hit the start button. It's much easier to que a CD if you have the a Pioneer at hand, they also have all sorts of codecs via a USB slot.
I owned one of the first CD-J's by this company; and my only gripe was with the quantisation so beatmatching was near on impossible if it wasn't for the 'wheel' on the front of the unit. Turntables are the same though, the tork is brilliant, and you can press down the middle of the record to slow it up some, or speed it up just a shade if needbe.
I must be honest; I don't know how to scratch; these people can drop the next track, perhaps they know the lag or how to switch the cross-fader.

If you wanna learn to beatmatch in a nutshell.
You need a mixer, hardware is better to learn on, than software.
You have one track that's in the mix, the crossfader is to the right; cue up the next track (the headphones should have an A/B switch so you can hear the upcoming music)
If you have a basic mixer that won't merge both tracks in the headphones, take one headphone off your ear; listen to the former track and count 1234; tap it out. Then listen to the track you wanna mix in. After a couple of tries you'll realise if it's too slow or too fast. Try not to mix albums at 33rpm they can be a bitch to mix.

Thanks to Bagseed for a very informative post.
you are very welcome. :)

well with turntables, you definately have to cue by holding the record with your finger with the platter running (that's what the slipmat is for) and releasing it at the right moment. even technics are not nearly as precise as CDJs... that's why you have to keep beatmatching the whole time you are performing a mix, if you don't, the beat will just fall apart after a couple of bars.

scratching/turntablism is completely different to what I do. as a DJ, you just make transitions between pieces of music. with turntablism playing with and manipulating the tracks is the center of the art.

I don't believe most of them simply press play.
Sure they may create a set before hand but many DJ's I have seen from back stage still mix live, they just have their cues memorized from practice or have a notebook with their cues written down in.
It can make for some pretty complex and intricate sets using 4 CDJ's that simply wouldn't be possible using traditional DJ'ing methods.
Not to mention using live FX and looping to make it so they aren't just layering tracks and samples.

true. but i'm not talking about the ones who dj with a laptop, but artists playing a liveset. i just wanted to clarify that not everyone who is called a dj isn't actually a dj - even djmag makes that mistake and so do many others.

Bagseed; it's so true with the slipmat. I stuck with the technics slipmat, I'd suppose the plastic or composite mats would increase the tork and pick-up. I know the feeling though of hearing the initial kick to throw it into the mix the scrub back and forth.
It's a good call though, don't use the original slipmats.
That's the best thing about belt-driven turntables with electronic music, it changes tempo and gives an organic feel; the DJ just has to adapt by applying a finger to the platter; as well as up or down the tempo on the other turntable. If the kicks aren't in sync; it's obvious hence kill switches and filters. To do it proper, it's a job and a half.

Last edited:

When artists such as Deadmau5 like you said use their own mix of pre-arranged songs that they've made in the studio to mix into one another; these guys actually deserve a half bit of respect because they've actually composed the entire mix from scratch.

If Deadmau5 decided just to press play on one of his albums, I'd cut sick and get my stomp on because he does make banging tracks. Astrix too.

These artists deserve respect compared to the other people who hit the play button once during their hour set with none of their own stuff.

I think the fact that DJing and "live"-performances are starting to blur causes a lot of confusion. most of the audience can't tell what the guy they are seeing is actually doing...

either way, if an artist decides to just play a previously recorded/arranged set and then "perform" it, it is neither DJing or playing live in my opinion. they might have a whole stage show including visuals and other fancy stuff, but normally, the "artist" isn't even much involved in setting up that. so I wonder what he/she is actually doing? pretending so mix? hands in the air? if so, they won't get much respect from me...

the artist might be a respectable producer in the studio (which many protagonists of the "EDM"-scene aren't), but for me this kind of stuff is just bullshitting their audience.

I hear Bagseed, you should know your vinyl and yes vinyl are so yesterday.
It's much easier to sync lighting, one mix to the next if it's pre-set. That's why the DJ's throw their arms around; they don't have anything else to do but bolster the crowd with arms up and down gestures.
Don't get me wrong, it's actually really uneasy to get an entire track to sync with ableton. You may as well mix on Pioneer, or Technics; but then the lights/ the visuals.
A strobe a laser and a proper DJ.

To be honest most Dj's these days are not real Dj's at all. A lot of the big names play pre mixed studio recorded mixes as 'live' sets which is a total con. A lot of Dj's that play using cdj's cheat by pre time stretching all their tracks to the same bpm before hand which is also a wet way out of using any skill. Anyone that uses a laptop or the digital timecode turntable platters are the worst of all, the computers sync features always sounds like shite to me and it is doing most of the work for you. I can understand using a digital set up if you were to do something special that could not be done using vinyls but this is seldom the case. 90% of Dj's that use digital set ups cant mix on vinyl at all and that is the bed rock of mixing. Just remember, real Dj's do it with 12 inchers. Life is like a dance and I just happen to have all the best records.

When artists such as Deadmau5 like you said use their own mix of pre-arranged songs that they've made in the studio to mix into one another; these guys actually deserve a half bit of respect because they've actually composed the entire mix from scratch.

If Deadmau5 decided just to press play on one of his albums, I'd cut sick and get my stomp on because he does make banging tracks. Astrix too.

These artists deserve respect compared to the other people who hit the play button once during their hour set with none of their own stuff.

i wouldn't necessarily agree about deadmau5 or astrix (it's taste after all ;) ), but some/most of my favourite artists do just the same and i have no objection to them playing prearranged sets. what i object to is calling them djs and what i don't like is them pretending to do something and especially celebrating themselves on stage (regarding psytrance dali or eskimo among others are especially bad in this department). i'd rather have them popping the cd in and going for a beer or something. it should be all about the music and not about the guy on the stage who waves his hands pointlessly.