• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiate addicts and the hate of alcohol

I see alcohol and opiates as two drugs that can equally destroy people's lives. I've lost my father to alcohol, seen many family members just decline mentally which I believe is caused by daily alcohol consumption.

See when you are comparing the two, doseage is everything. Not every opiate addict is some useless nodding entity, it's all about the dosage. That's why so many people want drugs to be regulated, so they know what dose they are getting each day and can actually function on said dose. With addicts, it's not the drug that is the problem it's the lack of it.

Same here ... Never liked any kind of alcohol, that sh|t is just nasty! Now, hook me up with some oxys and I'm a happy camper!

I stopped drinking several years ago due to the nice bleeding ulcer I developed from tylenol based drugs. (lorcet, norco)

I think it goes both ways for opiate addicts...some drink heavily, some despise alcohol.

Opiates agree with me; alcohol does not. Never has. I get extremely moody and depressed from even the smallest amount of alcohol, so I avoid it altogether. Benzos also make me VERY depressed after a short period of use. Goddamn GABA drugs! :)

Opiates, on the other hand, make me feel like a normal person free from depression and Asperger's. Beautiful feeling to see how the "other half" lives, so to speak. I become more comfortable in my own skin, more talkative and open...just more normal. I was physically dependent on opium poppies for 4 years but now use more moderation and less potent opies. Don't know if I'll ever stop completely, but I see no reason to since my use doesn't affect my health, finances or relationships. Or maybe that's just addict-in-denial talk? o_O

I used to drink every night when popping a couple norco's. At that point I only dosed once a day, right before dinner, so it was part of the ritual to get a hydro buzz and have some drinks with dinner. Since moving on to a full fledged dependence and dosing several times a day with stronger opiates, I almost never drink now. It just has no appeal.

I used to drink every night when popping a couple norco's. At that point I only dosed once a day, right before dinner, so it was part of the ritual to get a hydro buzz and have some drinks with dinner. Since moving on to a full fledged dependence and dosing several times a day with stronger opiates, I almost never drink now. It just has no appeal.

I just feel like thats part of the territory with habitual opiate use. Before I got into opiates I smoked about an ounce of MMJ a week, a quarter ounce of hash a week, and went through about a 6 pack a day after work. I also occasionally used meth, and smoked crack when I could get it.

When I was first starting with opiates and was not dependant, I would combine lots of weed and booze, sometimes crack with my opiates. About 3 months after daily use, I would say I was dependant, and this is when other drugs lost their appeal. I quit smoking weed, quit drinking, quit going on crack binges. I didn't want to do anything but bang dope all day every day.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is due to the re-wiring of your brain after long term opiate abuse. Your brain only seeks pleasure from the opiate, and nothing else. Although I will say I wasn't a cigarette smoker before my opiate habit, and during it I would chain smoke for the entire duration of my high.

YA! You never get hangovers cuz you balance out those nasty metabolites with better drugs. I did it with benzos. There's no alcohol withdrawal when you mix properly and dose it right but ya, its dangerous (for some... I have high blood pressure, my system wont shut down) but there's no come down from alcohol when you mix it with the right stuff... but if you keep on keeping on and stop you'll feel the wrath .

While I did use alcohol to increase the effects of some drugs and will use it in the absence of all else, if is by far my least favourite drug.

I hate not being able to drive, the bloated ness, the smell, the sick feeling, just everything.

Last year I was only a couple of hundred mg of oxy a day, plus over 200mg of Valium, 10mg Xanax, anti depressents, serequol, zyprexa and whatever else and when it wasn't enough anymore I did start adding spirits to my morning coffee and swigging a bottle of wine in the evenings but yeah, I really don't like it at all, I was just desperate to increase the effects of the drugs as my tolerance had climbed higher than my ability to source more drugs :(

I rarely touch it now I'm on the suboxone.

I just love opiates/oids or just drugs in general. Less calories and feel cleaner and easier.

I agree, it's very rare that I meet someone who likes to drink when they use..We even pour away the martell when we make a new pipe as hate the taste of alcohol so much haha plus I hate not being in control over myself, feeling fucked up and not knowing what I do which doesn't ever happen when im high...All I feel then is happiness...

I dunno..

I fucking love alcohol. I'm a few months clean from an absolutely biblical heroin/methadone addiction.

I'd still take opiates any day.

I keep drinking to the barest minimum because
a) I'm afraid of a relapse
b) I am prone to doing really dumb shit when drunk

Not because I dislike alcohol.

alcohol only puts you in the right mind state to have a good time, but you still have to DO SOMETHING (generally socially involved) to actually have a good time. otherwise, you're just the guy sitting at the bar mumbling to himself that smells like shit

opiates, you dont have to do SHIT, to have a good time. If I took enough heroin I could stare at a blank television screen and just be like mmmmmmmmbop

ticka tuh tack da ba oom bop

didddyabaahhh

yeah but its a lot more illegal to get heroin so theres pros and cons

I don't like alcohol, I do not know why but sometimes wish I did, some ppl make it look so desirable and enjoyable.

When i was using opiates heavily i absolutely hated everything about alcohol. The feeling reminded me of withdrawal and when i drank in withdrawal it was the worst feeling ever. After taking months off of opiates i have been able to find enjoyment in it here and there.

Yeah I feel like one of the few lasting positive impacts that opiates had on me was in ending my desires to drink in excess. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the occasional drunken splurge but it's hard to appreciate alcohol for what it is after I became accustomed to the blissful kiss of opiates. I used to drink way more than I should have ha.

I've (and suspect in the case of many on this website) also never found alcohol to be a functional drug like I do with things like opiates, benzos, amphetamines, etc. so it's use is generally confined to the evening time. Also, fuck hangovers.

Interesting range of responses. My two cents is that since I'm on a pretty high dose of maintenance pain meds, I drink 2-3 super weak American light beers and I'm good, maybe even less. I remember one time I drank a mixed drink out with the wife one night and I was so drunk I was almost to the point of things spinning. Very not good feeling! BTW, a couple foreign or regular beers and I'm almost to that point too. Now days, I tell people I love watered down light beers, so make your jokes but that's the way it is. One thing I have found is that just the right amount of beer and the opiate buzz is very nice. I can't think of many things other than that, that can produce the same feeling. Push come to shove, I'm good without it too, but the meds are an absolute must have!

It's not that I HATE alcohol, because I actually love it, it is an ESSENTIAL chemical for life as we know it...that being said, drinking to excess has never agreed with me, physically.

I rather enjoy drinking on occasion, but if I were to try to use alcohol to manage my pain, i'm pretty sure i'd be several times dead by now, lol.

Alcohol is MUCH MORE INTOXICATING than opiates, IMHO.
I can't go out and function at any kind of level after a 6-pack, but after a few whiffs of oxymorphone, or like 8 Norco, i'm ready to go out and conquer the world!

I am on alcohol too, but I just look retarted doing it, and might hurt myself or others haha.

Basically, opiates and weed for everyday aches/pains/whatever ails you, and alcohol only for partying..

BTW anybody shiver really bad if you smell liquor when you aren't fixed up??? Or drink it too, I always get a bad shiver after smelling or drinking it, if i'm not on opiates, any connection there?
Weird..

When I didn't use opiates I would drink to myself a minimum of 2L-3L red wine a day, average of slightly under 4L (3.9L lol), a maximum of 6L a day! This would be consumed from morning to night, with copious amounts of cigarettes & coffee, luckily no other stimulants. Never going with less then 2L a day, NEVER, for at least 6-7 months. Before this I would drink about 6L-8L 5% beer, that is between 12-16 tall boys (500mL) bottles.

I would drink until I would find myself besides my bed. I've done the stupidest, most dangerous, reckless, mindless things on alcohol & the reason 99.99% for my encounters with police d& domestic violence.

Opiates at good doses, eliminated for me 100% the cravings esp mentally. On methadone currently & works wonders to stay away from alcohol on the other hand I've had weeks where I've treated myself to 12yr old rum 750ml bottle that would last 3-4 days so not really drunk def not in excess. Now if I want to get drunk the best way in terms of avoiding conflicts is to take 2 tall boys of beer besides you along with a mickey 325ml bottle and chase the shots with beer.

I still love alcohol but haven't gotten drunk in a record time over 3-4 months now.

Last edited:
Drinkin in lower amounts is enjoyable. I dont care to get blackout drunk and ruin my life in the process anymore though.

I absolutely despise alcohol, don't enjoy the buzz at all. Last time I drank I felt like I went into withdrawals 2 hours later. Horrible.