• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Need Advice On Detoxing from Percocet

Hi Lovecraft,

I wasn't on too high of a dose, like 15-20 mg a day, I usually took at night, sometimes midday. Never in mornings. I would say a medium dose.
Diazepam is quite long acting, but Clorazepate (Tranxene) is even longer acting. The longer acting, the easier to taper, ime.

Anyways, I was indeed semi dependent, cos when I tried to stop I had withdrawals symptoms,BUT, luckily I wasn't on it too long, and didn't meet the FULL criteria for dependence on benzos like I did opiates, thus - a rapid taper was suggested, and worked.

About 2 weeks (taper). I went from:

2 pills a day for 4 days,
to 1 pill for 4 days,
to 1/2 pill for 3 days,
to 1/4th pill last 3 days… then jumped off.

(i would have to look up the dosages but they equated the diazepam, just different # and length of 1/2 life)

My point is you might be okay with a rapid taper, or semi rapid. It's truly up to you. Benzos are sneaky little pills, and they do get us, but it's always important to remember as you mentioned, the amount you take, how many times per day, duration of use within 1 year, and so forth, as well as the original reason they were prescribed, as those symptoms might re manifest.

~ Smoky :)
Hey Smoky, out of curiosity, what mg were each of those clorazpate pills?

Quite sure it was 15 mg. They also come in 30 and 7.5. A match to the diazepam would have been an exact 30, but I was okay due to the very very long 1/ 2 life.
Often in detoxes tranxene (clorazepate) will be prescribed for withdrawal. I was given it twice in detox, aside from the time I did a home rapid taper using it.

Here is a benzo equivalency conversion table with klonopin/diazepam/clorazepate and others.

www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

:)

I'm not /can't go cold turkey. I tried. But I'm gonna get it done as fast as reasonably possible. Again, my mind and body will dictate the pace: as long as I get some sleep every night and am not having psychotic symptoms, like I did when I tried to go too fast, I can manage.

Can you believe this started out a percaset detox thread? Wow, what addiction can do.

Yes, but try to focus on very near future when you will not need that stuff to feel good.
It´s makes you feel so free and so good inside, respectful so to speak.

Yes, but try to focus on very near future when you will not need that stuff to feel good.
It´s makes you feel so free and so good inside, respectful so to speak.
Yes, that is my focus. Absolutely. Thanks for the encouragement.

Well I'm on day 3 of being at the next to last dose of my taper regimen, 0.25 mg of klonopin. I went from 1.0 to 0.75 to 0.5 to 0.25 over the last couple weeks. It hasn't been easy but I've managed. I was really scared about jumping down to this dose because of what happened when I tried this the last time when I went down too fast. I almost lost my mind. Also jumping down from 0.5 to 0.25 is a bigger jump then going from1.0 to 0.75 or from 0.75 to 0.5.

Anyway, I'm "OK" and am starting to feel myself again, slowly. I could probably jump off from this dose but I will probably halve the 0.25 and take that for a few days just to smooth out the landing a bit. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Man what a f(u)cked up ride this has been, chronicled across the 6 pages of this thread.

Last edited:
Hi Lovecraft,

It's great to hear from you here - I was wondering how you were coming along. So glad you are okay and making substantial progress.

Very good point about recognizing .5 to .25 being a bigger jump. Sometimes people forget that for example a 50 % jump at the end of a taper is not that same as jumping down from a higher amount when one started.

I almost lost my mind with the benzos. I hear you. Just thinking about those experiences are terrifying. They keep me off them when I recollect how it was.

Anyways, You are almost there. Hang in there,

Smoky <3

Thanks Smoky. Yeah I'm almost done but it's not easy. I don't feel great today. Actually, when I put it all together, I've been sick for the last 6 weeks. It makes me sad when I think about it. But it also increases my resolve to move forward and get this over with and my life back. I can't wait for the day I leave my final post on this Hellish thread.

Well I'm trying to make today day 1. Not trying to be a hero though so if things go real bad in the next few days, or hours, I may re-evaluate.

I hear ya!
And just think one day you will look back on this time in your life, and be so happy you did it! I would maybe save this thread… to remember.

Congratulations on Day 1! One doesn't know unless they try and make an effort. You are and have been doing that and making immense progress… You've come so far Lovecraft from what I've observed. It takes a lot of courage to taper off 2 heavy cns depressants. Hang in there … :)

Whats up love <3

Hey neversickanymore. Glad you checked in with me.

I hear ya!
And just think one day you will look back on this time in your life, and be so happy you did it! I would maybe save this thread… to remember.

Congratulations on Day 1! One doesn't know unless they try and make an effort. You are and have been doing that and making immense progress… You've come so far Lovecraft from what I've observed. It takes a lot of courage to taper off 2 heavy cns depressants. Hang in there … :)
No doubt Smoky. And for sure I'll be saving this thread.

I'm past 24 hours so I got through one day without taking anything. Yes! I'm anticipating that I'll probably feel sorta funky over the next few days, but the fact that I went one day without feeling really awful is a good sign that I can probably manage whatever W/Ds I do experience over the next few days. And last night I slept better than I have in weeks. I actually got almost 7 hours! Anyhow, I'll keep posting my progress; I figure another 6 days before I can say this nightmare is officially over. But this time I really see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well today's day 4 off everything! I don't feel great...still not sleeping well. But I'm doing better every day and I feel much better than I have in weeks. Man I finally did it. I dug myself out. I wasn't sure for a while there back a few pages. I'm so grateful to not be sick anymore.

One thing I don't know is why fucked up things tend to happen whenever I am detoxing. We had to put the dog down a few days ago. Really not what I needed now but that's how it goes I guess..

So wonderful to hear of your amazing progress Lovecraft. I just had a sense you were done with this and were going to make it. Congratulations on day 4!
You are well on your way. I remember day 4… that was when I thought to myself I just might live. I thought I was going to die, at least my mind told me so.

It's really great to see another fellow traveler make it through such a horrendous experience no one should ever have to go through. Keep moving into the light… :)

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss…. <3

So wonderful to hear of your amazing progress Lovecraft. I just had a sense you were done with this and were going to make it. Congratulations on day 4!
You are well on your way. I remember day 4… that was when I thought to myself I just might live. I thought I was going to die, at least my mind told me so.

It's really great to see another fellow traveler make it through such a horrendous experience no one should ever have to go through. Keep moving into the light… :)

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss…. <3
Thanks Smoky. I'm realizing that I'm beginning to feel some pretty rough PAWS symptoms at this point. Hopefully they won't last beyond a few weeks. It's amazing how low you can feel after the acutes wear off. But at least I know what it is so I can prepare not to react to it and make things worse.

Now is the time to engage in the exercise. At least thirty minutes of aerobic exercise four times a week. If you need to work yourself back into shape take it easy and slow to prevent misery and injury.

Neurochemistry and drugs effects our thoughts, but our thoughts also effect our neurochemistry. We can choose to control our thoughts instead of them controlling us.

Some easy techniques to begin to practice and implement this are consciously looking for and identifying the positive occurrences in our lives and acknowledging all the amazing things we have to be grateful for.

Managing depressive thinking
Good things about being off drugs/getting sober
Share something POSITIVE from your day!
Today I Am Thankful For... Ver. 3: Earth, Wind and Fire!

In every situation in life there are infinite ways we can choose to percieve what is happening. How we choose to do this determines our experience of whats happening. I don't know about you, but im done making myself miserable.

Your doing great.. I would write up a recovery plan that is designed to address what is making you feal uncomfortable and that explores thought and life changes to create a peaceful and enjoyable existence.

Emotional response is usually very strong in PAWS.. it is also not to be trusted. Keep it simple for a year or so.. keep your thoughts in the moment.. if we slip into yesterday we can get hit with strong resentment, anger, guilt, shame, etc.. if we jump into tomorow we can get slammed with anxiety, fear, self doubt, hopelessness. Best to focus on the moment and learn how to live in today. Today is all we have and all we will ever have. To many people totally miss today because they are always focused on the past or worried about or working toward some magical place and time in the future where they will finally be able to enjoy life. That time never comes as if they get there they will be focused on some new magical point in the future. People end up missing their whole lives this way.

Keep rolling and don't take anything to seriously.. If we take things to serious, life can become a serious drag.

Your doing great!!:)

Now is the time to engage in the exercise. At least thirty minutes of aerobic exercise four times a week. If you need to work yourself back into shape take it easy and slow to prevent misery and injury.

Neurochemistry and drugs effects our thoughts, but our thoughts also effect our neurochemistry. We can choose to control our thoughts instead of them controlling us.

Some easy techniques to begin to practice and implement this are consciously looking for and identifying the positive occurrences in our lives and acknowledging all the amazing things we have to be grateful for.

Managing depressive thinking
Good things about being off drugs/getting sober
Share something POSITIVE from your day!
Today I Am Thankful For... Ver. 3: Earth, Wind and Fire!

In every situation in life there are infinite ways we can choose to percieve what is happening. How we choose to do this determines our experience of whats happening. I don't know about you, but im done making myself miserable.

Your doing great.. I would write up a recovery plan that is designed to address what is making you feal uncomfortable and that explores thought and life changes to create a peaceful and enjoyable existence.

Emotional response is usually very strong in PAWS.. it is also not to be trusted. Keep it simple for a year or so.. keep your thoughts in the moment.. if we slip into yesterday we can get hit with strong resentment, anger, guilt, shame, etc.. if we jump into tomorow we can get slammed with anxiety, fear, self doubt, hopelessness. Best to focus on the moment and learn how to live in today. Today is all we have and all we will ever have. To many people totally miss today because they are always focused on the past or worried about or working toward some magical place and time in the future where they will finally be able to enjoy life. That time never comes as if they get there they will be focused on some new magical point in the future. People end up missing their whole lives this way.

Keep rolling and don't take anything to seriously.. If we take things to serious, life can become a serious drag.

Your doing great!!:)
Thanks neversickanymore. I appreciate it. I'll check out those links. I did my exercise for today as well and it helped. But the effects seem to be wearing off a bit. I might do some more later... we'll see. One thing in my life that adds a huge layer of difficulty in all of this, especially the anxiety part, and is also a factor as to why I relapsed is that a year ago my wife and I had a baby. The sudden and intense life change, coupled with the promised, yet never delivered support from family, sent me into a panic I've been trying to get ahold of ever since. This is a huge part of what's going on in my life. And it's very difficult not to take it seriously when you've got a life depending on you.

Thanks Smoky. I'm realizing that I'm beginning to feel some pretty rough PAWS symptoms at this point. Hopefully they won't last beyond a few weeks. It's amazing how low you can feel after the acutes wear off. But at least I know what it is so I can prepare not to react to it and make things worse.

Yes, Very good point. Knowing it has made all the difference in the world for me, as I've been through it before.. so I have a sense of what is happening so I don't react to what's happening to severely… and to remember to be gentle with myself. :)

Yes, Very good point. Knowing it has made all the difference in the world for me, as I've been through it before.. so I have a sense of what is happening so I don't react to what's happening to severely… and to remember to be gentle with myself. :)
But regardless of what I'm going through now or in the next couple weeks or so, I'm thrilled to be off everything as I wasn't sure I could get here for a bit there. The wheels of addiction spin ever so slowly. Especially when you're getting out of a benzo hole. I still can't believe I went straight from an opiate cold turkey right into a benzo detox. What torture that was. Hope I'll never have to do that again.

Well today is day 9. I can finally say I'm done. I am feeling overall really good, have less anxiety, and my energy level is back. I've been exercising and sleeping good. Last night I got eight hours... can you believe that? 8 hours! I can finally put a close to this thread. Now onto trying to keep this going whilst I deal with life.

Thanks everyone who cared to post up. I really appreciate the support. I'm so grateful this awful journey is over.