• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Need Advice On Detoxing from Percocet

Day 4: feeling mostly OK. Nice to have 4 days off opiates. I think it's time to go back to the wife and kid. They miss me. I'm pretty sure from here on in I'll get better each day.

Really glad to hear Lovecraft,
Making it to day 4 is such an achievement… your wife and baby will be happy to see you when you return I bet, and it can only get better as you say. Especially after day 4! :)

I'm pretty sure from here on in I'll get better each day.
light-end-of-tunnel.jpg

Light at the end of the tunnel!!
Nice work.. keep moving forward:D​

Thanks guys. For sure I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. And I'm so very grateful for that. I'm glad I started this thread as it really helped me reading it everyday and posting. As surprising as that is to me.

[
Nice work.. keep moving forward:D[/CENTER]
Where do I go from here?? I used to do 12 step... Had 5 years once. But I never really embraced the 12 step approach. What do you guys suggest. I do think there's value in one addict helping another. For only an addict can best understand and help another addict... It seems.. Especially the understanding part. Nobody who hasn't been there can fully understand this kind of thing. And being in touch with those who have is very therapeutic.

Well day 5: still have some ways to go. Sleep is still not good. I am sure that this is still the acutes, albeit a bit better than the first 3days.. From here I have to fake it till I make it. But I think that I need to accept the fact that it's going to be another at least two days of this. I know PAWS and this isn't it. I feel really shitty. Even though I'm home, while I can't just seclude myself, I'll still need to insist on being able to take care of myself when I feel I need to for the next couple days. Which means my wife will need to do more when it comes to the baby, etc at least for a little bit.

But she's doing good. I hope it lasts. I think part of why this happened is that I've been so stressed since the baby was born ; trying to do too much. Trying to be too perfect. Not knowing where the balance is.

Does anyone relate to that?

Last edited:
Congrats on Day 5 Lovecraft!

I'm glad to hear your wife is doing good today… and you are moving forward getting healthier.

I do relate. For me when stressed I can sometimes resort to my survival skills I learned very early on before I found drugs. One of them is perfectionism. In this I can feel a little out of body and act in fight or flight which leaves me ungrounded and unsure of where the balance is. This for me threads back to growing up with a lot of dysfunction and instability in my environment. In this I would lose a sense of balance and try to take care of things beyond my control. This is just ime.

This can happen when new events in my life come up that are intense. Forgetting it's a process I can resort to perfectionistic actions. Stress releases cortisol also.
For me, Learning to be still, and breathe into the moment… then take a slow step forward without trying to please others… or taking on 'everything' -- I find myself doing more of what's best in that moment, which is best for everyone involved… And life unfolds naturally. Then balance is restored and I can discern what's happening with a healthier perspective. :)

A baby is a huge event, and very wonderful, with a lot of changes taking place.

I do agree it's very important to stay connected. For me, other addicts have helped me more in the past than therapists. It's of course a combination of sorts.
There are many roads. If NA has helped you before, perhaps just go to a meeting and talk about what happened. Then you can decide. There is also SMART, Lifering, outpatient if insurance supports it and others I'm sure.

Perhaps you don't need to decide long term what to do, but just go to a group of any sorts for now just to get a feel for it. :)

Last edited:
I feel worse today than I did yesterday. I'm not sure what's going on but I hate this. I'm in hell right now. Flu symptoms, anxiety bordering on panic. Is it normal to feel like you're taking two steps forward then one step back in the acute phases of percaset detox?

Last edited:
Sometimes that can happen. I'm sorry you are not feeling well today. Your brain is slowly starting to work again without the use of opiates. It takes some time to rewire. For me I generally started feeling better, but would have waves of panic and anxiety midday past acute phase. A kind of derealization feeling. Very scary. Then one day, like 9 or 10 it just stopped… and in mid day I didn't panic, barely. I just kept remembering it's not me, it's just my brain finding it's balance again.

Can you pick up some amino acids? Like L Glutamine, or L theanine, tyrosine? I took lotsa those and b6, vitamin C. I took all this til the withdrawal anxiety stopped! :)
Can you get to a meeting? Maybe go in and talk about it? Any type of meeting?

Hang in there Lovecraft. You've come so far!

Yes that is a pretty normal experience, don't let it knock you too much. You've invested a lot of time and effort, don't let it go to waste by giving in.:)

Day 6: no sleep whatsoever last night. Feeling totally wrecked. I'm tapering quickly off the benzo I've been taking to help me sleep so maybe that's playing a role. Wife is really tired of this and so am I. But I will continue to fight.

Yes that will definitely be playing a factor. It can be difficult if the people closest to you are not as supportive as you might like, it's understandable that they can react in this way though. All you can really do is reassure her that the current situation is a short run pain for a long run benefit. Does she have someone she can talk to? I think it's just as important that those close to someone dealing with a drug problem have people to speak to as well, the process can be very difficult and confusing for them.

It might be worth considering a break in the taper on the benzos if things are getting tough. There's no shame in listening to your body and slowing down if need be. Better to work slow and solid towards your goal than putting an unnecessary amount of pressure on yourself to get things done quickly and up the risk of things going wrong. If you can hack it and would rather get it done quick then that's good, just don't fall in to the trap of trying to do too much too quickly. Let things happen at the speed they need to is what I'm saying I guess.

Keep going, it will be worth it.%)

Day 7: I'm hanging in by a thread. I don't want to use I just want to die at this point. I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Keep moving forward<3.. nothing back there except a rerun of the misery you have already been through.

Keep moving forward<3.. nothing back there except a rerun of the misery you have already been through.
Well it's confirmed :I'm in benzo w/d now. I'm getting worse not better. I took the klonopin too long. I've been taking it steady since the immodium and sporadically for about 3 months prior including while on the percs. I've really done it this time. I don't have any experience with benzo w/drawl. I thought I had a problem before ; this is way worse. What I didn't know was that the times where I didn't take it every day (every 2or 3 days) was also causing dependence. FUCK!

I was wondering about that… I took them for 3-4 days only off Heroin. Jus cos I had a benzo issue prior which scared the liven daylights out of me. Good news is you're off the perks! :D That's progress.
What do you plan to do now? Do you have any seizure meds you could switch over to? My doc put me on Clorazepate/Neurontin.
Clorazepate is the longest acting benzo… very long … to w/draw from Diazepam and xanax. I was on those once for a couple months over year ago.

Can you begin a taper? The Ashton Manual is helpful.

I'm so sorry you are suffering so much, I know how it feels. <3

I was wondering about that… I took them for 3-4 days only off Heroin. Jus cos I had a benzo issue prior which scared the liven daylights out of me. Good news is you're off the perks! :D That's progress.
What do you plan to do now? Do you have any seizure meds you could switch over to? My doc put me on Clorazepate/Neurontin.
Clorazepate is the longest acting benzo… very long … to w/draw from Diazepam and xanax. I was on those once for a couple months over year ago.

Can you begin a taper? The Ashton Manual is helpful.

I'm so sorry you are suffering so much, I know how it feels. <3
I don't have enough to do a proper taper ala the Ashton Manuel. No more light at the end of the tunnel. :-(

Last edited:
Well my wife, whose klonopin I've been taking, was nice enough to create a taper schedule for me. She's done it before so has some experience. She thinks she's got enough to get me off them. She told me that I'd tapered too fast because klonopin has such a long half life. So first she giving me a bit more in order to turn back the clock just a bit so I feel better, than start bringing me down slower. It's still going to be a relatively quick taper, but she thinks since I haven't been on them for many months or years that I can afford to go a bit quicker. I hope she's right. Pray for me.

Good to hear you have a plan for the Klonopin Lovecraft … :)