please help!!

inf3ct3d_m1nd

Greenlighter
I've decided to throw in the towel and head to a detox facility for heroin addiction. I'm scared to death and hav
e nowhere to go after here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so fucking scared right now I don't know what to think

Detox is a good choice. You need to heal. You need to take care of yourself. That's the first big step. There is help out there and it sounds like you need it. I've been to detox for addiction. Personally, I should have gone to rehab after detox, but never did. But I don't regret asking for help. It's a wise decision. If you're struggling, get the help and treatment you need.

Be sure to go to a place where you'll be comfortable. I've had good and bad experiences with hospitals/medical treatment. Many of us have. But withdrawals are nothing to play with. It's a nightmare to go through it alone and very likely to cause you to keep using if you try to do it alone. Please be safe.

I've decided to throw in the towel and head to a detox facility for heroin addiction. I'm scared to death and hav
e nowhere to go after here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so fucking scared right now I don't know what to think

Well the biggest step is just making the choice to get clean. You have nothing to worry about. The facility you choose will know how to help you through the withdrawal. Honestly, it's kinda painless. I would agree, stay for rehab, first because you could use the information and meetings. Also because they can help you.through the initial stages of PAWS. You need to be as informed as possible so you don't relapse. You'll be just fine, I'm thrilled to see you taking a stand even though you might be scared shitless.

My best,

Bob

Big decision, props to you for making it. Whilst rehab might be scary in some ways it's really easy because you have at least one thing in common with everyone else there!

One thing I would say is to have a good look at the sort of treatment the facility is offering, it's no good going to a 12-step place if such a program isn't for you etc (although I went to a 12-step place and although it's not my thing anymore I learned lots of good stuff there). Consider whether the living set up is something you can get along with. Whilst it's nice to stay in some plush hotel like facility, ask yourself whether that's really the right environment for learning how to live drug free in the real world. Ask about what sort of detox process they offer and consider whether you will be happy doing it.

Once you are there, just be prepared to engage fully. There's no point going and then holding back stuff that needs to come out. You don't have to disclose your darkest secrets on day 1, but it's probably a good idea to be prepared to cover them at some point.

Also, once you're through the detox rehab can actually be a pretty fun place to be if it's a good one. I enjoyed my stay (2 months) a lot, and that's not to say it was easy because every day was challenging, but I enjoyed it and made friends that I know I can call on at the drop of a hat for advice/a whinge/a cry/whatever without being judged.

Thank you guys so much for your support and advice. I survived the detox part and am currently waiting to get into an in patient 90 day facility. It seems like there's no avoiding some kind of 12 step recovery platform but it can't hurt. I'm hoping I can sweat through the worst of the PAWS in there and come out with some tools to stay sober. Again your support and advice is so valuable to somebody like me who has nobody to look for IRL for that so thank you so much.

You won't necessarily get PAWS! It is by no means a given! Believe it is and it becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy though imo (that's just my opinion though).

Great work on getting through the detox%) Awesome to hear about people getting through them.

Whether you decide to go 12-step in the long run or not there will be loads of good stuff you can learn from such a facility. Keep your mind open and don't shut off all the good info if you happen to not agree with certain aspects of 12-step. I don't know what your personal beliefs are but if for example you are an atheist don't let the fact you are going to hear the word god close you off from hearing some of the great values that are (or should be) espoused by such a program. Keep this is mind and you should be well on your way!

Congratulations on your new life.%)

Congratulations on surviving the detox phase and moving onto the next. You're making a huge difference in your life. You'll be around a lot of support there, and keeping busy during PAWS ! ! :)

Glad to hear you are trying to go in-patient after detox. I kicked heroin in detox a few years ago, then moved into a sober living house because I had nowhere to go, went to an out-patient, and went to 12-step meetings on my own. I got on the waiting lists for a couple of in-patient places that could take me for free, but by the time they got around to me I'd been clean for 3 months and was doing ok. I had depression from PAWS, so it's good you know about that possibility and that those feelings are related to withdrawal. 12-step meetings are good for meeting people who are going through the same thing as you and for talking about your feelings. Plus they kind of help with that mental obsession with using -- at least you can talk about dope with other people who share your interest! I have a lot of respect for you.

Usually if you go to a detox and tell them your situation they will be able to connect you with a treatment facility and/or halfway house. I know several people who have gone into detox homeless and ended up in treatment and/or halfway houses for free until they could get on their feet (usually a couple of months, my one boys been in a halfway for a year and really gets a lot out of it, he got it all hooked up for free just by showing his willingness)

Thank you. That definitely gives me hope which is invaluable ATM. I went to do all the intake formalities today and now I'm on call for a bed to open up. I have another question though if you guys don't mind. I was a heavy IV user for 4 years and was at about 3 grams a day towards the end. Should I stay on the suboxone or try to kick while I'm in there?

I thought you said you had detoxed? It changes things a lot if you are still on buprenorphine.

Not to take away from the achievement of having stopped using gear after all those years and at such a large amount, because that's a really big thing, but I've never heard of anyone doing rehab whilst still addicted to opiates unless they are doing a detox at the start of the program.

Well, I did the outpatient 6 week taper program at the detox center and the in patient facility accepts and works with the outpatient program from the detox center. Its irrelevant though, I made up my mind to pull the plug on the suboxone. At some point I will have to kick that too and I don't want that in the back of my mind every day. I've had the fear of getting dopesick for years, I'm so fucking over it all. So I took my last 2 milligrams last night and I feel pretty OK about it this morning. And today will be 1 week clean. God that feels great to say

It's a great decision you've made its really great to be looking forward for intoxication when you will finish a whole new start will be ahead of you plus once you choose a gd center it can be pretty enjoyable to stay there no need to be scared about it.

It's a great decision you've made its really great to be looking forward for intoxication when you will finish a whole new start will be ahead of you plus once you choose a gd center it can be pretty enjoyable to stay there no need to be scared about it.

Detox is the word you're looking for. Intoxication is the complete opposite :)

Breathe. Detox is the goal . Focus on that before you focus on getting out. Part of your fear is drug addiction messing with you. When you clean up, thing will get less scary but life is scary. Breathe. Go to the detox facility and do this. Go in there like your joining the army. Be strong. You were strong as fuck when you wanted a fix , right? Be that now.

Its been a fight but tomorrow will be the 2 week mark without that sweet bitch Lady H. I tried to ct the whole thing after detox and just aim for an inpatient facility but addiction is a motherfucker when you're homeless so I scored 400 mils of methadone, blew through that, jumped back onto suboxone, threw myself into precipitated withdraw lol ( I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy), waited 72 hours, and am now back on my SMT. I'm on the list to get into a 30 day program, but its still another 3 weeks before a bed will open up. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever endured but can I ask, when does the cravings start to lift? I keep waking up to dreams of having a needle in my arm or having a gram of dope in my sock that I just scored and it feels so real that it takes me half the day to shake it off. When does it get better?

Sorry to keep bugging you guys with shit, you've honestly been great with the help and support you've given me but I've got another one. Have any of you tried the holistic approach to recovery? I've been offered a little help if I chose that direction but the addict in me screams it won't work.