• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Adhd

Mizora

Bluelighter
Alright guys, bare with me only registered yday.

Just wondered how many people have ADHD/ADD here? Ive been diagnosed since about 15 so just over 10 years.

Stopped my concerta a number of times due to it being so zombie like, but ive recently started it again and its actually going quite well, i am however seeking help to possibly try adderral, as always been on ritalin. supposedly its 1 in 3 get on well with ritalin 1 in 3 with adderall and 1 in 3 fine with both...so wortha try.

If there is anyone out there i would HIGHLY recommend a book i have actually owned but never picked up until now...no suprise really as started the meds, i can actually sit down n enjoy a book!

the book is delivered from distraction, for me since ive started reading its been amazing! it reminded me of how so many lil things in my life come from my adhd, pretty much everything. just certain ways of thinking, all sorts.

i think it has been really helpful for me as its dangerous to label issues you have from a moral, judging kind of angle, instead view it in a medical sense, this book has done just that.

If you do have adhd you will know that it goes so much further than just not being able to sit still for a few mins, so much further.

I was diagnosed as having ADHD earlier this year (as part of a differntial diagnosis along with dyspraxia and other psychological issues) at the age of 26, I choose not to be medicated though because I know I will abuse them.

Really? man, obviously is diff person to person but i get so much out of my meds, and i havnt even got them spot on yet i.e type, amount. I can hold conversations so much easier, general thoughts just go at a much more managable pace, dont always feel like im just waiting for someone to finish what they are sayin...i actually listen! You can pick em up and put em down, for like weekends n that. Its a shame you feel you couldnt be trusted, but at the same time good you have the awareness...

When i was younger, at six i was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Ritalin. I was forced to take Ritalin and Focalin (Dextromethylphenidate) from ages 6-14/15 until i started spitting them out in the sink. For me growing up it's kinda a double edged sword.
The negative effects it had on me when I was younger was that it made me socially distant, I remember it giving me terrible social anxiety and often leaving me silent or unsure what to say to the other kids. It took away my personality, completely changed the way i socialized. It also robbed me of most emotions. I wasn't mean or without a conscious, just emotionless. This was only when i was on the drug, which was taken before school, and again at lunch.
The rebound effect was horrible often leaving me very sad, feeling like everything i did was worthless. At these times I didn't want to talk to anyone or be around anyone and everything annoyed me. finally around dinner i'd feel like the self i liked, but only had access to at night.
Being on this daily every day from the critical ages of 6-15 left me with a major lack of inner identity. Left me self conscious in high school from the years of appetite suppression, but quitting taking it also lead to impulsiveness, drugs, and failing my classes.
Now at 20 I take adderall and it's completely different. All those horrible years would've been so much different if i was on an adderall. Focalin is like a cracked out adderall.

I would deff. suggest giving adderall a shot and see if it leaves you in a better mindset.

hey mr flippy. wow i will def check it out man. cheers for sharing man, im so glad you got it better now. its weird as had similar effects with the ritalin at 1st, kind of why i stopped taking it after a couple of years, but now since being back on it for the last couple of weeks its completely diff, it is a slightly lower dosage. I still want to seek out the adderall though, have you got any advice on how to go about it as it was harder enough getting the ritalin prescribed again after all these years, partly because im now an adult. I have gone to docs for a referral, but they are just so useless..and take so long when it comes to do with anything to with adhd.

i am pretty sure i am suppose to have some sort of cbt with it also, just to see if everything is ok...but i have never heard a thing.

one thing my doc did say was theres issues with funding...but its crazy, they will continue to prescribe a drug to me which i tell them is not agreeing with me but not aid me trying a diff!?

Thanks! :)

been diagnosed with ADD which took a while because i suffer from GAD ass well and many symptoms of those two diseases are alike (anxiety, lack of concentration, addiction, insomnia, restlessness and obsessive thinking), i got screened for 8 weeks in a clinic before they found out about it, they tought about borderline wich also can appear to look like AD(H)D in males.

I felt releaved and frustrated at the same time, releave because all pieces fell together, frustration because in my youth everybody thought about ADHD (parents, doctor, teachers) but because i wasn't so wild all the time nobody stepped up to have me checked out for it.
If they did it could have prevented a lot of pain a suffering i went through, because now i was all of a sudden an obnoxious kid that didnt want to listen or sit still and pay attention in class, therefor got expelled and had low grades throughout schooltime, all i needed was help and somebody to really look beyond my trouble and notice my struggle, i had to switch school in my youth twice because either i had trouble with teachers or because i was being bullied and excluded by other children.
Certainly have the brains for it (got tested 140 iq not to brag or anything) and alotta motivation but not for regular schoolstuff and the setup of sitting quitly amongst 30 kids just doesnt work for somebody with add.

And the fact i had anxiety and no father figure didnt help neither.

But now im going back to school, to become an experience expert in addiction and psychiatric problems, my aim is to work with troubled youth later on, i know how its like to be mistreaten and in the wrong place, i can look through the angry fascade en understand whats really going on and what they might need (they DONT NEED PUNISHMENT, THEY NEED HELP!!)

I tried concerta and that worked awesome for focus and concentration, but i started to abuse it very quickly as being an addict (50 days sober now though and plan on keeping it that way) so i kicked it out, tried wellbutrin but that didnt help.
Will maybe try a non addictive med later in life like strattera but only if i really need it.
I am now in an ADHD group to talk and share experiences and with the skills i have now i dont think ill ever need meds, it starts with understanding what to do and what not to do.
Im not going to work from 8 til 5 in an office or anything, i need an active lifestyle with structure but it cant be predictable because when i get bored i get depressed.
I"excersise, i try new things every day, always listening to music or playing the drums, take a nap allotta time so i can relax my brain a bit and dont take all my thought with me at night.
Im on mirtazapine as a sleeping aid because ive never been able to go to sleep, takes hours because of all the thinking about everything.

I also cherish my add, it provides me with a lot of creativity and humor, i see everything and analise and check all the time, wich made me a supervisor quickly in every job i ever had (i have no diploma or anything, but i do have work ethics), my last two jobs i got in as or a dishwasher or bartender, within 3 months i was running the squads at busy luches or when there was a lot of pressure on the kitchen, i see what needs to be done and i see priorities.

That is important folks, AD(H)D can be a handicap if you let, but if you accept there are certain things that just dont work for you and are willing to let that go, you can embrase it and lead a forfilling life thanks to the ADD.

Did you guys know Einstein had ADD byt the way? ;)

everything is posibble if you think in possibilities!!!