• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Exploring becoming a dual season ( mtb bike/ ski ) worker. Have you ever?

beagleboy

Bluelighter
Like the title says. Am interested in what my fellow bluelighters have to say from experience.

I am an experienced bike mechanic and used to live to ski/snowboard.
Open to the possibility of relocating to a Major Resort like Mammoth or a less populated 'seasonal' place like the Adorondack Mountains.
I have the funds for getting there and lodging for a few seasons.

i did '1 season' at a ski school in south lake tahoe, ca and liked it so much i stayed 8 years :)

after a couple of years earning very little on an hourly wage (but snowboarding a lot), i moved up in the organisation. became a manager, hired and supervised staff and got on salary for the season. at that point, i snowboarded even more as i was being paid even when i was out riding.

i worked for a great company with great training and hr and made some great friends. all in all it was a fantastic time and, even though i'm back in a 'regular' technology job which pays me significantly more, i'd be lying if i said i didn't sometimes miss it.

i think if you have realistic expectations about what you'll do and how much you might earn early on, you'll have a great time.

alasdair

If it's something you enjoy doing and you have the money to do it, why not? I know you frequently talk about riding your bike, so I know it's something you really like doing. Good luck!