• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Day 3 thank you everyone!

rubbinsracing12

Greenlighter
After about 5 years of abusing opiates the time has come to stop. I would like to thank everyone's posts that I've read. I don't have anyone that I can talk to(wife but that would be an instant divorce) or ask for help and this forum has been a huge help. I've tried meetings but it's not for me and extremely hard when it takes everything I have to get out of bed. After about 10 failed attempts I feel like I finally have a grip on in this time thanks to all of you. With a wife that will leave if she finds out I relapsed and just finding out a baby is in our future there's no more messing around and failure is not an option this time. I don't know if I could have pulled it off alone again and I can't thank you all enough. I'm so sick I can't finish everything I was going to type so back to bed. After three days of no sleep I really hope it comes soon. That by far is the worst part along with the rls. Peace

Nice work you should be pretty close<3

Congratulations on the impending little one=D

Feel good for you bro, if you stumble get up failure is only if you stay down. I'm stuck on them for the rest of my life, or surgery which I fear more than the opiates. I wish I had another option but my best to you, stay strong.

After about 5 years of abusing opiates the time has come to stop. I would like to thank everyone's posts that I've read. I don't have anyone that I can talk to(wife but that would be an instant divorce) or ask for help and this forum has been a huge help. I've tried meetings but it's not for me and extremely hard when it takes everything I have to get out of bed. After about 10 failed attempts I feel like I finally have a grip on in this time thanks to all of you. With a wife that will leave if she finds out I relapsed and just finding out a baby is in our future there's no more messing around and failure is not an option this time. I don't know if I could have pulled it off alone again and I can't thank you all enough. I'm so sick I can't finish everything I was going to type so back to bed. After three days of no sleep I really hope it comes soon. That by far is the worst part along with the rls. Peace

Congratz ! im very happy for you and i wish you the best for the coming days/months/years :) can you share with me what did you take ?

Well done man, kudos to you!!

As the above poster, I'm likely reliant on opiate for the rest of my life, but take as prescribed? Yeah right :p But most of the time they allow me to be a great mum, so that is the path my life has taken.

Congratulations on the pregnancy!!

Rtp.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Got a second wind after getting that off my chest so I thought I would come back on and do so more reading. All of the success stories and how encouraging you all are really has me up right now. To see how many of you have kicked their bad habits really gives me hope. I started as I'm sure everyone else with a couple pills here and there. I started my own business over 10 years and starting it I was not able to afford the extra labor I needed to keep on top of things and I turned to using so I could work 12-16 hours to build my business. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here but it progressively got way out of hand. Over 10 years later since I opened my business I'm down to just computer work so I can finally take the time to fix myself.

I tried to read all of the site rules but the lack of sleep is making it hard to retain anything right now. I would be happy to share exactly what and how much I was taking but not sure if that's against the rules?

My last 10 failed attempts I never got past 1-2 days so I really think I have a fighting chance. Not a fighting chance I should say because failure is an option at this point. My wife is my everything and I refuse to be one of these dads that picks drugs over manning up and taking care of the problem no matter how hard it is. I can't thank you all enough.

It's fine to share how much and what you've been using - the only rule in the Sober forum is not to glorify it in a way that someone reading it and wavering would think "oh damn, I really want to use now".

Congrats on the coming baby and three days clean :) Depending on what you were using, you should be starting to feel better pretty soon. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations on what is now day 5, right? Until this time, I never made it past day 5--by that time I was so exhausted by the nausea, lack of sleep, crazy twitching, sweating, etc, that I caved. Today is day 53 off opioids for me. The difference this time was that I got some supportive meds from my doctor, and I told my husband what was going on. For me, the "bad" part of withdrawal lasted 2 weeks. I'm having a problem with PAWS now, but it's wonderful to not have to "worry" about my pill count, how many days left, how much to take, how many I can get away with.

I hope you're starting to see the light at the end of that tunnel. You made it this far...you can do it!

Today has been the best day so far after finally getting some sleep. Not enough but enough to feel like less of a zombie. Light in the end of the tunnel is far but I can see it. No turning back since what I've read I'm through the worst of the physical symptoms. I'm using the thomas recipe and that has been a huge help over my previous failed attempts. I did skip the benzos because knowing myself I'm not doing myself any good if I switch opiates for benzos. Doing this cold turkey from as much as 500mg norc/perc to 1000mg morph. Basically anything I could get my hands on besides heroin which I'm sure would have been next.

From your experience how long does it take to get this foggy haze that I'm in and the little to no energy?

I'm sure a lot is lack of sleep but feels like it's more then that. Even though things are foggy I can't think of the last time my head was this clear. You all have been great!

Last edited:
Day 5 and still on the wagon! I really didn't think this day would come until I did something stupid enough to get locked up. Best day I've had in a very long time even though I'm still sick(much better then previous days) Without the vitamins etc recommended and the support I've received here I don't think I could have pulled this off on my own again.

Now that most of the physical symptoms are gone how long does this extremely low energy and fogginess last? Anything else I should prepare for or just keep riding it out?

If you can possibly manage it (I know it's hard), some physical exercise out in the sunshine should help a lot. It'll help you be tired enough to sleep at night, you'll get fitter so you'll have more energy, and just being out in the sun helps a lot with the blahs and depression that can come when our opiate pillow is no longer cushioning us from the world. You don't have to go lift weights or do jumping jacks - even a nice brisk 30 minute walk around the neighborhood will help a lot. Or if you can't do that, do a 15 min walk in the am and a 15 min walk again in the afternoon - try to make it when it's daylight and sunny though.

As for how long it lasts, I'll let someone else answer that, but I think it really varies person to person. There's another person on here who quit recently and after a few weeks he says he feels great. For others the tiredness last months, so... it just depends.

If most of the physical symptoms have gone by day five that's really good news, your body is clearly responding to being treated properly well. If it's recovering this quickly it could only be a few more days before you're fine. Don't assume that will happen but it's certainly a very good sign that you have pulled through the acute stage so quickly. Keep forcing the calories down, keep getting the vitamins inside you and as mentioned above get whatever exercise you can. Sunlight is a massive help for me as well, if you can sunbathe or go on a sunbed I would highly recommend trying it, leaves me feeling glowing and energised and much more healthy afterwards.

Thanks, I took your advise and could only get in under a 10 minute walk last night and had to dig extremely deep. Got the best night sleep since this started and woke up an hour early feeling pretty rested. Still wasn't easy but I was able to get about 30 minutes in this morning with lots of sunlight followed by a hot shower when I got home. The difference is mind blowing to be honest even though it was as hard as it was.

I know I've already said it but thank you so much everyone that has given advise and encouragement. Since this has started I never thought it was a battle possible of winning and now there's no doubt it's happening this time :)

Thanks, I took your advise and could only get in under a 10 minute walk last night and had to dig extremely deep. Got the best night sleep since this started and woke up an hour early feeling pretty rested. Still wasn't easy but I was able to get about 30 minutes in this morning with lots of sunlight followed by a hot shower when I got home. The difference is mind blowing to be honest even though it was as hard as it was.

I know I've already said it but thank you so much everyone that has given advise and encouragement. Since this has started I never thought it was a battle possible of winning and now there's no doubt it's happening this time :)

So happy for you. So glad you slept after only 3 days. Took 7 days before my body gave out. Currently I'm going through PAWS, ever though, wow today is a month clean, didn't even realize that until now, and I probably have about another 2-4 weeks of it because of all the meds I was on and length of time.

I just wanted to say congrats, and if PAWS does happen to you, god willing it won't, don't give up. It's going to take time, but now that you have made the decision to stop using, you also slowed the hands of time. Enjoy life but never forget.

Congratulations again,

Bob

when I CTed from norco I found Dramamine a huge help for sleep that and hypnosis .just search you tube for hypnosis. it can take a few tries to find a person whose recordings work for you. In fact hypnosis is rarely if ever as dramatic as stage hypnosis.Much of that is faked the real stuff takes time to work since it works through classical conditioning

Awesome, good luck on your recovery :) and congratulations I really enjoyed your reading your post. you can do this I know you can! =D

Day 11 and going strong. After a few good days the weekend and Monday were rough but my energy is up today enough to come back, read and post today. I was expecting there to be ups and downs so it didn't come as a shock. When I sleep is on and off, bluemonkey I'll give that a shot. Just didn't want to take benzo's and get hooked on them but that sounds like a great alternative. Been able to slowly get my exercise time up since I started and that really helps. At the rate everything is going I'm hoping to be back into shape to start racing again by next year :)

goodluck! always remember to do it one day at a time. Every day choose not to get high. Stay strong! Congratulation on your upcoming baby

Sounds like you've got your head in the right place for fighting this. Good work, keep it up.%)