Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Text messages show UMass student’s struggle with drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Text messages show UMass student’s struggle with drugs
By Globe Staff | SEPTEMBER 28, 2014

In the months before his death from a heroin overdose, Logan, a student at UMass Amherst, struggled both with his substance abuse and his decision to become a police informant after he was caught selling drugs in his dorm room.

Text messages to friends and acquaintances, obtained by the Boston Globe, reveal some of his thoughts as he fought to get clean and to maintain his relationships with friends, some of them angry that he led police to another classmate who was selling drugs.

Continued with the texts http://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/09/...-with-drugs/Ks1JpTF4rIDUHCpuJBvdvK/story.html

Just stop. I'm not a cop I've never been a cop and I hate cops. You would of done the same [expletive] and to tell me anything otherwise would leave me unable to take you seriously. Don't hate me hate the system for making me an offer I couldn't refuse. Have a good one

Karma is a slut like that sometimes. Sounds like the kid was in way over his head and took the easy way out by snitching. His friend was right about calling a lawyer I really doubt he would of done 5 years minimum. His parents should be angry at the school and the cops not his dealer. The school and the cops enabled his addiction to continue by snitching with no consequences. Now the kid is dead his family is devastated the kid he snitched on life is fucked and all for what? It's so fucking senseless.

I don't believe in karma, but if I did, this would surely be an example of it.

I read this on the front page of the Boston Sunday Globe.

According to the article the kid got caught with $20 worth of lsd and then did a controlled buy for $80 from the student who sold it to him.
Outside of the 'informant' part of the story it was the typical "Young guy ends up dead after struggle with heroin addiction". Which in my area shows up in the newspaper almost every few weeks.

The ironic part is both the cops and the parents are aware of who sold the informant the drug that supposedly killed him. He was never charged and I believe is still a student at the school.

I don't think the student who sold him his 'last batch' should be charged, but if the police were willing to screw the guy who sold him $80 of lsd you would think they would go after his supposed "killer".

(prices are taken directly from the article)

Last edited:
Karma is a slut like that sometimes. Sounds like the kid was in way over his head and took the easy way out by snitching. His friend was right about calling a lawyer I really doubt he would of done 5 years minimum. His parents should be angry at the school and the cops not his dealer. The school and the cops enabled his addiction to continue by snitching with no consequences. Now the kid is dead his family is devastated the kid he snitched on life is fucked and all for what? It's so fucking senseless.

or why you can't trust junkies...

cops lock you up and wait until WD hit and leverage the fuck outta you.

cops tried it on me, and I was just like "lol no withdrawals for potheads you stupid pig" and they knew they had nothin' to push me on.

or why you can't trust junkies...

cops lock you up and wait until WD hit and leverage the fuck outta you.

cops tried it on me, and I was just like "lol no withdrawals for potheads you stupid pig" and they knew they had nothin' to push me on.

Can tell you have never been popped for something serious8)

Thats untill your lawyer informed you of what your looking at with being caught with five hits of lsd laid, but weighed, on a paper or god forbid sugar cubes.

Not defending a fucking nark.. just pointing out harms ignorance. There are intelligent junkies and X junkies talking here quit making us look so damn good as we don't require your help in this department. The system is set up to pretty much try and force people to work for the cops, or have their lives ruined OR BOTH!

LSD doses are im micrograms.. 1000000 micrograms in a gram.. even if the 5 or ten hits were laid on small pieces of paper that would constitute.

What Are the Federal Penalties for LSD Sale and Possession?
Like most illicit drugs, LSD use is typically not prosecuted in the federal criminal system. More common prosecutions are for the manufacture and trafficking of the drug. Because LSD is mostly manufactured domestically, there are considerable penalties for the trafficking of LSD. Following are some examples of federal sentencing for LSD:
Trafficking 1-9 grams mixture (one dose is roughly 100 micrograms of LSD, 0.5g including the paper):
First Offense
Not less than 5 yrs, and not more than 40 yrs.
If death or serious injury results, not less than 20 years or more than life.
Fine not to exceed $2 million.
Second Offense
Not less than 10 yrs, and not more than life.
If death or serious injury results, life imprisonment.
Fine not to exceed $4 million
Trafficking 10 grams or more mixture:
First Offense
Not less than 10 yrs, and not more than life in prison.
Fine not to exceed $4 million.
Second Offense
Not less than 20 yrs, and not more than life.
Fine of not more than $8 million.
More than Two Prior Offenses: Life in Prison

What Are Typical State Penalties for the Sale or Possession of LSD?
As with other illicit drugs, LSD carries penalties in most states from the minor offense of mere possession to major offenses such as distribution. Most states mirror the federal classification of LSD, and have it listed as a Schedule I drug, but some states have recognized some medicinal benefit of the drug, and have it now as a Schedule II drug. The following are some common state penalties for LSD offenses:
Possession With Intent to Sell: 3-15 years in jail and a fine of $2000 to $300,000.
Possession for Personal Use (typically more than 3 tabs): 1-3 years in jail and a fine of $1000 to $25,000 (some states now have diversionary treatment plans that supplement jail time).
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/lsd-penalties-for-sale-and-possession.html

One sugar cube, which is equivalent to one teaspoon of sugar, weighs approximately 4 grams.
http://www.ask.com/food/much-sugar-cube-weigh-39b51b4f205893c7

So it conceivable that he could have purchased five hits for 20$ and this would have meant he was carrying 25 grams.

How tough would you be at that point harm?

Last edited:
Huh...where I'm at this is how its done with the junkies, there are TONS of Narks the police will bring in(most of the time strung out on pills, no heroin here.) They get them to just inform for them, then there out, next guy goes in, gets them another guy, there out. Every one has Narked on everyone. People still sell to people who have narked on them or have tried to have them set up by police...it's fuckin' crazy how the cops work here...but nobody ever really gets charged...Just watch The wild and wonderful world of the whites(some movie done by the people who did jackass, Jesko Whites family). That's the kind of people I have had to deal with to get pills...I hate those fuckers with a passion...god the fucked up stories I could tell..

The bottom line is, police need drugs. The same as a junky does. No difference at all. One needs to keep a job, the other needs to keep from getting sick.

^ WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sure the thought of acutes on jail will turn many a junkie, but this is the system.. the thought of many years in prison for five piddly hits will provide significant motivation to turn a pot head, just takes a little more time.. and all for nothing more than the police claiming they are making a "positive dent." for continued funding. What a ficking bad joke, would be ROFL if it wasn't so disgusting.

Narcotics cops don't sleep at night because they think they are making any sort of positive difference, they sleep a little because they provide for their families in this fashion, so fuck the real result. Follow anything in the drug war and you get to the cash. TRUE

Last edited:
thats just fucked ! so there are dealers in jail as we post that are doing hard time with murderers, rapists, and the people who almost collapsed the world economy are buying prisons for profit. be careful kids drugs are bad, tell me some shit is bad then i try it for myself ahhh not so bad rather amazing. no wonder why i haven't seen lsd sense high school. the big dealers know how to distribute or mostly do it online ! what a fucked system

UMass halts drug informant program
By Matt Rocheleau and Eric Bosco

The University of Massachusetts Amherst said Tuesday that it will suspend the use of confidential informants pending a full review of the program after a disclosure that a student informant for campus police died of a heroin overdose.

Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy said he ordered the program’s suspension along with a more comprehensive review than was previously planned. In a campuswide e-mail to students on Tuesday, Subbaswamy indicated that the program could be terminated, after the review.

Tuesday’s message, praised by student leaders, marked a shift from statements the university made Monday in defending the program. UMass said then that it would examine only two aspects: whether to require that informants in drug cases get help for possible addictions and whether to notify parents when a student is recruited into the program.

“The well-being and health of our students is paramount, and the university must do all in its power to educate and protect our community from the dangers of drug abuse,” Subbaswamy wrote Tuesday. “We must also focus our best efforts on sustaining an environment where every student can learn, thrive, and mature.”

On Sunday, a Globe story detailed how campus police recruited a student caught selling drugs to become an informant. Police told the student that if he agreed to inform on others, the school would not pursue criminal charges or disciplinary action against him and would not notify his parents about the arrangement.

The student agreed, and less than a year later the 20-year-old junior died of a heroin overdose. The death last October has prompted concern over the informant program and criticism from the student’s parents and friends over whether the university and its police force could have done more to help him. The Globe has identified him only by his middle name, Logan, to protect the family’s privacy.

UMass police have said they never suspected that Logan was a heroin user. When police caught him selling LSD, they found a hypodermic needle, but they said it could have been used for other drugs. Officers said Logan denied having a drug problem and refused treatment.

The school has said there currently are no student informants working with campus police. Subbaswamy wrote Tuesday that the program’s suspension will not affect any ongoing investigations.

He also wrote that the campus Police Department, which has reported to the vice chancellor for administration and finance, will now report to the vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life. The switch, he said, will ensure that campus police are “more aligned with and responsive to the concerns of students.”

“I am confident that opening new lines of communication and coordination will benefit our students and the entire campus community,” he said.

Campus police declined to comment on the developments Tuesday night and referred questions to the university’s media relations office.

On Tuesday night, Student Government Association president Vinayak Rao welcomed the university’s decision to review the program.

“I think it’s a good opportunity to come together and to review a program that really makes a lot of students uncomfortable,” he said.

Rao said the Globe report on Sunday raised significant concerns among students, many of whom were not aware the informants program existed.

“I think a lot of students are finding out what this program is for the first time,” he said.

Rao said he will reserve judgment on whether aspects of the program should change until the review is complete.

Student Sebastian Vivas, a junior, said he, too, is glad that the university is reviewing the informants initiative. “CIs on campus make me uncomfortable,” he said. “It’s unethical. It’s just a really bad, really unfair spot to put kids in.”

Katherine Doherty, a sophomore, agreed. “I was reassured that [Subbaswamy’s] going to look into it, but I was also angry that I didn’t know there were CIs on campus, because how am I going to make friends like that if I don’t know if they’re going to rat me out,” she said.

David L. Perry, president of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement, said in an interview Tuesday that some campus police departments use students as confidential informants and that the practice is typically more common at larger schools.

Perry, chief of police at Florida State University, said his department uses confidential informants on occasion in serious cases. But he said they would not recruit someone to be an informant if there is suspicion that he or she may be addicted to or actively using illicit drugs. He said the department requires informants to undergo detailed questioning to ensure they are not abusing illegal substances.

full article:http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/09/30/umass-suspends-confidential-informant-program/bQVaFzv4ZPMM7CLUzXwwmK/story.html

Last edited:
Perry, chief of police at Florida State University, said his department uses confidential informants on occasion in serious cases. But he said they would not recruit someone to be an informant if there is suspicion that he or she may be addicted to or actively using illicit drugs.

Oh come on, who is going to believe that?

can people just stop doing to much, damn. im sick of all this overdosing.

I imagine the response from Umass is just PR-BS, but it's nice to see someone still reads an actual newspaper.

The person who allegedly sold him heroin was just arrested and charged.

The mother of a University of Massachusetts Amherst student involved in a controversial campus informant program who later died of a heroin overdose praised prosecutors on Monday for bringing criminal charges against her son’s alleged drug dealer.
“I felt relief that Eric is going to get some kind of justice,” said Francesca Sinacori, the mother of Eric Sinacori, by phone from her home in New Jersey. “I want this to be a warning to all the drug dealers that you’re not going to get a slap on the wrist, you’re going to get charged with manslaughter.”
She spoke to the Globe hours after a grand jury returned indictments charging former University of Massachusetts graduate student Jesse Carrillo, 27, of Derry, N.H., with involuntary manslaughter and distributing heroin in connection with the death of Sinacori, 20, who worked for campus police as a confidential informant in the year before his 2013 overdose.
Carrillo is scheduled to be arraigned later this week in Hampshire Superior Court, according to Northwestern District Attorney David E. Sullivan’s office.

To be honest guys, it bugs that shit out of me when people say stuff about the family of someone who died because of drugs. I am with you all in the believe the Drug War is futile and causes more harm including death than if we legalized and regulated drugs and being a snitch is shitty but I never would say a word about a grieving family member. Not only did they lose a loved one, they have no real grasp, for most cases, on the detriment of prohibition and buy into all the propaganda the media and government feeds us.

No one was particularly bad in this thread but I see it a lot. It is unlikely that a parent blaming a dealer, or research chemicals, or whatever, is going to have any impact on changing any policy. Sorry for a bit of a rant. Most in this thread are excellent posters and I respect you all, but just felt I needed to say it.