• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Confusion About Avoidant Personality Disorder

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Basically I always thought that it was when someone would say avoid a situation that gave them a panic or anxiety attack for instance previously. I.E. someone has a panic when going to a particular grocery store so they quit shopping there and go to a different store. Maybe not the best example but you get the idea. For a long time I've thought I had this because I would avoid certain situations that gave me anxiety or panic attacks in the past to a degree. But apparently that's not quite what the disorder is?

According to the DSM-IV-TR...

1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risk or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing

I fit about 2 of those, but it sounds different than what I was describing. Am I mixing this up with something else?

Last edited:
Nothing? Surely someone's gotta have some of the same things or know about it.

Avoiding anxiety-causing situations is just a part of anxiety disorders. Someone who avoids anxiety doesn't necessarily have AvPD.

Social anxiety and AvPD have some symptoms in common.

Oh that makes sense... I've been diagnosed with GAD but never APD. I think I just had the definitions mixed up.