• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I love smoking buds but...

Ryman_95

Greenlighter
Ok so I absolutely love cannabis in all ways. Looking at it, touching it, smelling it, smoking eating vaporizing. Everything about weed intrigues me. However, I have a daily smoking habit that I just can't financially support. The urge to be stoned or smoke to calm my nerves distracts me from getting my shit together. I don't want to stop smoking, just would like to cut down and get my head out of the clouds a bit. I have already stopped flipping it(big step, that was my way of funding the habit.) but if anyone has been in the same shoes and has some advice on how I can cut down, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have always found cutting down very difficult compared to actually stopping. I find it difficult to have the means and desire to have a toke but then to put it off, whereas if I dont have the means I don't worry about it and it doesn't bother me at all.
For me the best way is to set my budget for the week and score the lot in one go and then try and make it last the week. If I run out before the week is up then that's just fine because it will help lower my tolerence, if I manage to eek it out well thats fine too, if I binge the whole lot on day one well thats OK too except I have learnt that I don't want to do that. Since you set the budget you can't spend more than you can afford and you always feel in control of your use.
I guess the only other thing is when you have your first toke of the day, I love weekends and holidays when I can have the option of getting nicely baked for breakfast but mostly it wont be until the evening when I have got most of my shit for the day sorted and some relaxation is called for. I guess, in short, the best thing to do is to save it for when you have the time and space to enjoy it properly, if you let it get in the way of things you have to do it will be a problem, treat it as a reward not as a right and it will be a joy to you for ever.
Wags

Only smoke very little at a time (one hit, not a monster hit). Only smoke in the evening after everything else for the day has been taken care of. If there's nothing else going on in your life that's something that needs to be addressed.

Don't calm your nerves during the day. Instead channel that energy in a positive way like cleaning, home repair, fixing your car, gardening (might also be a solution to the financial issues related to weed :D), physical exercise, whatever, you get the point.

Worked for me.

Ok so I absolutely love cannabis in all ways. Looking at it, touching it, smelling it, smoking eating vaporizing. Everything about weed intrigues me. However, I have a daily smoking habit that I just can't financially support. The urge to be stoned or smoke to calm my nerves distracts me from getting my shit together. I don't want to stop smoking, just would like to cut down and get my head out of the clouds a bit. I have already stopped flipping it(big step, that was my way of funding the habit.) but if anyone has been in the same shoes and has some advice on how I can cut down, it would be greatly appreciated.

What allowed me to start cutting my habit back from where it was was to limit how often I copped to once a week, at the most.

Whatever you pick up, make sure it'll be enough to last you until the next time you'll be copping. For me, it's a quarter a week. I'd buy Thursday, smoke a gram a day for 7 days, buy next Thursday. Gradually, smoking less will come as you put more of a priority on maintaining your stash than you do on maintaining a constant high. Also, life happens whether you want to smoke or not. Occasionally you'll smoke less than you normally would, which will eventually lead to your 7 grams lasting 8-9-10 days once you stop focusing on making a gram disappear every day.

Setting a max-limit on my usage every day helped as well. Once I get through a gram, I'm not opening another jar unless I've had a day from Hell.

I dunno, man, it's mainly a self-control kind of thing. You have to make a conscious effort to limit your usage-- without that effort, the first time you've got 5 minutes to yourself and nothing to do, before you know it you'll be sparking again and again and again and.....

Having a full time job is the only thing that keeps me from smoking all day and night.

Sounds like you used to to what I did. Being "self-employed". If you don't plan to continue I would suggest getting a job or jobs that occupy your time. Then when you get home after a hard days work and smoke you will be rewarding yourself and getting a lot more stoned than before.

I personally still buy the same amount I always do based on finances. I basically overbuy, but I never look at having too much weed as a bad thing. Even I on weekends I've noticed my weed use has lowered.

Basically you need to change your routine.

Personally, OP, I'd go cold and take a break altogether. Others will suggest differently and it's all subjective, so whatever works for you, though I'll give my reasons so you have another perspective.

I know you say you don't want to stop smoking, but you also say, "distracts me from getting my shit together", "get my head out of the clouds a bit" and it's a, "urge". In my experience if you really love to smoke and don't have the self control there to start with to cut down on your own accord, it doesn't matter what you do, you will always be spending that last amount of money of cannabis and staying sky high, having little focus.

If you really want to get your "shit together", I'd suggest stopping cold. Then you can redirect your focus to getting everything you want sorted, then be able to afford to smoke as you please and have everything in place to live a decent life.

Few ways to help you cut down:
Only smoke in the evenings/weekends(This will stop any insomnia/cold sweats/vivid dreams, stopping/reducing cannabis can cause)
Ration your weed and set yourself a daily limit
If you aren't currently working, find yourself a part time job to occupy yourself
Pretty similar to the previous, find something to occupy yourself during the day
Literally find other things in your life to focus on.

Hear me roar, very good advice. If in the sort term you can quit smoking than so follows that you can in the long term. How we do anything is how we do eveything. I'm seeing my way through my connection with the herb and other drugs. But, i notice that if im fiending for something in a moment that i can look back and see my relationship with that substance substance over time. Once a fiend always a fiend; unless deep reflection and satori are found.

Im coming off of tramadol and benzos. Even though i feel all wacked out i have chosen to ween myself off of the substances. i have a stash but im trying really hard to obstain. Taking 421's advice aknd using little bits instead of binging. I'm applying the same principles too in eating less sentient beings. For myself, right now as i'm going through this and eventually after i get well, I will have to reflect on if i want to continue "turning on" my body with this substaces.
Ganja is a nice relationship in my opinion thougj. However, if you feel that you are less competent due to it, then you have to really look at it and yourself and see if the two of you are compatible. I love the herb too but partake in non ceremonious ways. I think i treat it like other drugs some times; i.e., just for the high. But really it should be about doing things that get you to be gueuinly happy, empathtic, and promote compassion.

Last edited:
Wow, was really only expecting one or two simple replies. I appreciate all the advice, and will take every bit of it into consideration. It'd be nice to stop all in all like hear me roar suggested. However, most my household smokes and all my friends smoke. So to quit cold would prove to be quite difficult. Times are tough, so getting a job has proved to be a bit of a challenge. So for now, I think I will start getting myself in more productive routines daily, such as exercise, focusing on a healthy diet, and of course continuing to enjoy and expand my art of writing raps. I think if I start by making simple daily routines, it will help me from smoking so much as well as help me focus more on getting a job. Again, thank you all for the advice.

So, first thing you will learn is that less is certainly more.

The highest I've ever gotten is from snapper hits out of my bong. Hit it and quit it you could say. This is a great way to initially cut down and make the transition easier. I find when I've tried to quit in the past, I go on a huge binge the night before, smoke all my weed and kief. I then wake up the next day feeling like shit, which initially helps me stay sober because it makes me view pot in a negative way. However, my metabolism is very fast. So once I clear it out of my blood and the cloudy headed feeling goes away, I feel my brain start to work up the "reward" section to encourage me to smoke, and then the justification starts and before you know it I'm toking again, feeling completely justified (and foolish at the same time), the cycle continues.

I'm cutting down right now as well. I have college to focus on and quite frankly I'm sick of being stuck in the habit. I think the best way to come about it is to list off reasons you want to cut down (for me, I want to stop during the week because I am a full time student involved in many activities and even though I'm not stoned during the day, I feel like the residual effects build up and overall having it in my life everyday is very stressful and unnecessary, and it inhibits my social behavior).

-I don't like feeling stoned all the time even when I'm sober
-I don't like inhibiting what my brain is capable of when I need to focus on success
-It's damn expensive and I don't have the money
-The high is hardly rewarding. It almost feels more like an obligation at this point then true recreation.
-I'M NOT QUITTING FOR GOOD. I am confident that learning to appreciate sobriety and the benefits of moderation will be motivation enough to cut down.

OP: sounds like you have some good ideas. Exercise is GREAT. Healthy diet has always helped me. Try some meditation. Whether you are spiritual or not, it helps me a lot. Exercise (and possibly meditation) have been clinically proven(I know exercise has) to decrease cravings in heavy cannabis abusers. Think of it this way; save being a stoner for the times in your life you can afford it. Since I am still a full time student with financial support from my family, I have breaks to look forward to. Winter break, for example, will be a full month where I can be back home with all my high school friends and have big sessions like we used to. AND IT WILL FEEL MORE REWARDING THIS TIME. Because I won't need to feel guilty about excess, because I worked hard and can finally reap the benefits of my break.

Find other things to do when your roomies smoke, you might actually find you feel better about yourself for resisting the temptation on a regular basis.

Sometimes I think we smoke a lot to relive the past. The good ol' days when it was a bit more fun. Just remember heavier consumption will not lead to any more satisfaction. Many people on this board and past cannabis users can usually agree that less is more, and that you feel overall better when your body returns to equilibrium. Just have a goal to work towards OP. I think you will be surprised at the results. Don't think of it as just a "t-break", because once it ends you will psychologically try to compensate for all the lost time because sobriety will feel like a prison sentence to you. Think of it as actively working to improve your life and also your cannabis consumption.

It's a special drug my friend. You can make it special again. Just know that I'm in the same boat as you right now ;)