Lana Del Rey

I wonder about this too.. it's kind of interesting how the creation of a larger-than-life persona is a big part of pop music. I get the impression that Lana (or the 'real' woman behind her) plays a big role in the creative choices in this creation, but that could just be because a bunch of record label execs are working really hard to give that impression.

I found this article about Grimes and how she has created a whole pop star persona with a very DIY method interesting. It's kind of like an art form all in its own combining music, video, fashion, how you interact with the media, how you represent yourself on the internet, etc. Whether Lana is doing it herself or is just a record company's puppet, I think it's being done very well, and in a way that resonates deeply with people.

Last edited:
the Grimes article was a nice read; thanks for sharing. and with the Lana Del Rey project, there is such a distinct voice that i too suspect it is primarily the vision of an individual.

today is big one ...

tumblr_nuvql3D6IC1u9yecko1_1280.jpg

despite living in a major city, there are no record stores downtown. so i'll have to go to the mall after work. i'm anxious.

I'm really loving the new album mostly. To my ears the songs are kind of hit or miss but I like the production a lot. Her singing sounds better than ever to me though. I think it may take a few listens to really sink in.

the best. hands down. hydro, you know i said it. honeymoon is the most lana del rey song i've ever heard in my life and it's so good. the album is fucking great. here is a great review.

bumping to save but also because i live in brooklyn now and wish this got a video treatment.

she flew to new york to record this with lou reed and was told he died as soon as she landed.

Moved back to the main forum at OP's request :)

Hydro, you Queen of soul and darkness ;)<3

...Chris Isaac inspired, hormonal inspired, substance inspired, ocean-inspired goodness. :D

Daddy issues inspired but thats not important ;)

Last edited:
daddy issues are cute. love "West Coast."

i'm a fan. including of this collab ...

disappointed they pulled the "Push Me Down" video off vimeo. the youtube copies are of lower quality.

"White Mustang" and "Heroin" are the best of her most recent album, Lust for Life. afraid to link to youtube because they always fuck up the audio. yup, checked out the music video for "White Mustang" and they altered the audio to go with the video. absurd.

her and sally mann's are the only two autographs i could be bothered to get.

Last edited:
^stunner tune...her voice is heavenly. I've always debated about whos autograph I would bother to get, am stuck on just hugging Chomsky. ;)

daddy issues are cute. love "West Coast."
She has created some fabulous stuff with it. Ditto. <3

i don't care that elle fanning nor grimes will never know how much i love them and their work, but i sure would appreciate a moment to let lana del rey know.

a moment to swap humanity and create our own "Veil of Veronica."

Last edited:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VL_b0HeqXmc/XH9ZZOwXWNI/AAAAAAAAFzk/Bv0n5YhcAxAmV0t6fazcUW5uO8f18IOjQCLcBGAs/s1600/lana%2Blavendar%2Bfinal.jpg
" width="800" />

that's the aesthetic. not quite as doomed as school shooter, but still undeniably millennial. I really wish I could talk about this somehow somewhere. We actually have really great fucking aesthetics, but there isn't a really digestible place to have that discussion. it used to be Tumblr.

a bunch of posts in this thread got disappeared but reappeared when we got the software update.

but now shit's all fucked. I meant to quote the picture. of Lana and the dope.

No one can compete with Monroe. She owns it, shame Lana tries to copy her style.

Lana Del Rey covering Sublime is my sexuality. Also Gamay in Magnums, also my sexuality. She keeps doing these little one off, these little teases. She's, I, I am so anxious for her next actual album, that I almost can't breathe.

is this thread in two columns for anyone else?

lana's new album Norman Fucking Rockwell is out august 30th. we've heard a few songs from it. this was released last week ...

wanna push whoever introduced her to classic rock down the stairs.

"Fuck It I Love You" sounds more promising. until tomorrow all we have is a preview ...

smoking a vape instead of a cigarette, on film (filter). time we do something about those things. if she actually switched, word. gotta protect her chords. the lyrics would scare me, if she hadn't been saying she's through since the get go.

^available in 15 hours. will include another single, "The Greatest."

Last edited: