• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Can you do downers after psychosis?

Lowonmoderate

Greenlighter
I've been hearing that people who have had psychosis can still use downers like opiates? If anybody has an info on this please help me out epsically if someone could find a link to research or some confirmation that it's true. Also if anyone wants to make a list of the ones you can do that would be cool too.

Hey and welcome again=D

TDS ---> OD

Please tell us a little about your psycoses. Its not uncommon for people to go into psycoses from stimulants. many addicts do it nightly. Did the symptoms last for a long time because many people can float right in and out of psycoses, literally from hit to hit.

Last edited:
So you stayed in psycoses for awhile after the coke would have wore off. Possibly past five days?

Edit: I do not want to freak you out but I'm really familiar with stimulant psycoses.. did you see the hat man, or hooded man, shadow people?

Who are the shadow people?

This may be triggering and of course only answer what your comfortable with.

Well I had symptoms for months before probably cuz of all the other drugs but It really exploded when I did coke yes and it lasted atleast 3 days but when doctors gave me meds I was fine almost immediately so I can't say how long it would of lasted and no it was never that bad I just had confused thinking and intense delusions

Anyway now that you guys know all about my psychosis does anyone know for sure of any drugs that are okay to take with psychosis? (like i.e. alcohol )

Psychoses is really entwined with dopamine. If you have no family history of schizophrenia and are looking to do a substance i would consider looking at the psychedelics. LSD, boomers. This recommendation is likely to be met with scepticism at the least. It eventually your choice and the results are also you responsibility.

The very best of luck

so have all your psychosis been drug induced? have you been diagnosed bipolar or something?

you can do alcohol, benzos, opiates in moderation, you smoke an ounce of weed a week which is not a good idea if you are susceptible to psychosis, try to greatly reduce your use of weed, i'd recommend quitting, but yeh..

its best to stop doing drugs after a psychotic break, indefinitely imo... i think alcohol is okay like a few beers a week if you haven't had abuse problems with it in the past, weed is a bad idea because it intensifies anxiety/depression ime, and theres a gd chance you will get addicted to downers if you actually smoke an oz of weed a week 0.0

Interesting about shadow people. I saw them often when I was using mixed substances in my past, mostly crack. Over my left shoulder a lot… Right behind me.

As far as taking drugs like alcohol though, might help temporarily for episodes, but could have a rebound or triggering effect also, a few hours after drinking… There is valium but it's so addictive.

I've had psychosis from opiate withdrawal… but it was different then stimulant psychosis, It didn't seem as real, and more non specific visually.

well... i'd recommend taking olanzapine or seroquel if you can detect the onset of manic or psychotic symptoms, not alcohol...

Maybe I'm crazy, but how about you lay off the drugs for a while, and get on some haldol or something, start eating right, exercising etc. Dont do the weed, maybe stick to alcohol, codeine, maybe some gabapentin and a benzo or two (not all at once!).

are you sure those are safe? Id love to take a benzo at a concert (in replacment of m) just so I could lose myself in the music

Downers like alcohol, benzodiazepines, and opiates should be safe provided they're not abused. Stimulants are well known for causing psychosis, especially when combined with sleep deprivation. There's no reason why downers should cause any issues, especially since psychosis is usually treated with prescription benzos and antipsychotics.

Just make sure you're eating and sleeping well. I agree with a previous poster about the weed, it can definitely cause paranoia and irritability especially in someone who's suffered psychosis before.

But I think using hallucinogens is a terrible idea. The OP would be really likely to suffer a bad trip and it's just bad advice in this case.

Downers like alcohol, benzodiazepines, and opiates should be safe provided they're not abused. Stimulants are well known for causing psychosis, especially when combined with sleep deprivation.

Open-minded are we. I like that. Not sure about opiates due to their wide variance in potency and effects (OP wasn't specific) but therapeutic or say, near-therapeutic benzo dose sure can't hurt psychosis aftermath.

Edit: I do not want to freak you out but I'm really familiar with stimulant psycoses.. did you see the hat man, or hooded man, shadow people?

In my experience i find that the "shadow people" come more from lack of sleep due to stimulant usage.

Open-minded are we. I like that. Not sure about opiates due to their wide variance in potency and effects (OP wasn't specific) but therapeutic or say, near-therapeutic benzo dose sure can't hurt psychosis aftermath.

Open-minded how? I mean I try to be, just curious about which part of my post you were referring to.

okay that helped alot guys now i know i can do benzos thanks , but what about opiates anyone know which ones are safe ads which arent? like for example codeine(not sure if opiate) and oxy

there is no opiate which will trigger psychosis, i suggest a soft opiate like codeine, because srsly you don't want an addiction to oxycodone...

Downers ? benzos on occasion and opiates , sure,
but take it from someone who's been there, leave the booz alone. Ethanol does that unpredictable mood shit while the others you can pretty much know exactly what to expect once you get acquainted.

Yeah occasional benzos but alcohol is a really bad idea. It can trigger psychosis on its own, it has indirect action on dopamine. It's not common but if you're sensitive to it, it can definitely be a trigger. I have snapped a few times on alcohol and I'm generally pretty together and can even handle some dopamine agonist drugs like mephedrone without snapping.

Oh and trazadone is meant to be an anti depressant that knocks people out but it makes my heart pound and I was TWEAKED /almost called an ambulance once taking that shit to try and use as a "downer" so you miiight wanna never fuck with it.